Close

Default 1982 mustang side molding

Does anyone know where can purchase all new side moldings for my 82 stang.?

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I've never seen the '79-'82 mustang side molding for sale in any catalog. I do not believe that it's reproduced. However, there are many cars in the junkyard (at least where I live) that have good molding that is reusable. It's quite time consuming to reuse it, but can be done. On my car ('79), I peeled it off the car first. This bends the crap out of it, and makes it look like it's been ruined. However, with a little propane torch, vise grips, small screwdriver, and patience, this will be rectified. First, flip it over and heat a corner of the metal backed adhesive. DO NOT melt the rubber! While heating, gently pry up the metal backing with a flathead screwdriver (enough for the vise grips to grip). Attach the vise grips, and gently pull it away from the rubber, while heating it enough to soften the adhesive. After the metal strip is removed, the rubber will still be bent and screwed up looking. Lay it flat on a floor for a couple of days (with books on top) and it will remove the waves. If it's wavy on the top and bottom edges (not straight), simply prop it up against the wall like a piece of baseboard (again, with books) to hold it tight to the wall. This will make it straight again. Repaint with flexible black paint, reattach with 3M's two sided tape, and restripe with 3M's pinstriping. It will look brand new if these procedures are followed. Once again, it's very time consuming, but well worth it.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Power Member

Awsome. This info should be kept somewhere easy to find. How did you find it by the way?
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

St80sixer

Searched for it using molding as a keyword, went to the last page of results, and looked for Hissing Cobra's sign in. Easy... mostly because I knew how long ago it was posted.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

The information came straight from my brother, so I can't take all the credit. This was passed on to him from a body shop about 10 years ago. He followed the procedures and his came out MINT! Then I did it too. You won't believe the difference when you're done.

Here's a link to my other post with more in depth descriptions.

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...yside+moldings
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

79 to 84 is the same.That should make the search much easer

The procedure works for 85/86 as well, though when I did mine, I didn't use a torch. I got the aluminum backing started with an exacto knife, then just very carefully peeled it back with pliers. An additional tip for the doors. When you go to reapply it, it will will take two people. One to apply, and the other to carefully stretch it because it will come up short on the door if it isn't stretched while being applied, as once the aluminum is off the rubber shrinks.

Travis T

I've done what Hissing Cobra is talking about and it works great. Be careful if shopping for molding in a junkyard, all 79-84 pieces don't seem to be the same. The molding on my 84 GT is wider than that on my 79 Mustangs. And every bit of it is factory on all three cars.