Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New addition to the stable - A 1985 something

I found a car 65 miles from my house that I thought might be worth a look....... boy was it ever.

I thought based upon the advertising on Craig's list that I was headed out to look at an 86 sunroof car with no motor or trans that clearly needed paint.

After looking at it for a few minutes things started jumping out. No EFI wiring. External voltage regulator. Battery on the right, etc. Definitely not an 86! Clearly an 85. And the roof - sacralidge... some dork put a generic sunroof in a hardtop car and ruined a perfectly good roof in the process!!

Now what caused me to buy it. The interior, while dusty, looks completely original grey and most of it is exceptionally nice or will clean up perfectly. I do not prefer grey interiors but wow - I did not expect this. I know how my original halo seats sat by 78K and where the holes were worn through the fabric and the piping was shot, etc. These seats are none of that. They don't even have a hint of it. It's like the miles showing on the 140 MPH speedometer nowhere near car's actual much lower mileage. (Edit - last recorded mileage on carfax was 1986 at 14400 miles - that’s the last time it was seen for so much as an oil change apparently)

And the body? Some idiot murdered out the car and put a giant Saleen wing and some ground effects on it but that's the extent of the sins. I looked and looked-- checked all the usual spots. The damn thing doesn't have any rust! Quarters, hatch, doors, fenders, hood, bumpers, floorpans, etc - all clean! [correction] Shocks and struts are Koni adjustable with what appear to be racecraft springs. Brakes rotors and pads are either period correct genuine ford replacements or the originals too! Headers, mid-pipes and mufflers -- again all original and nice! [h pipe is without cats]

holy cow - unreal.

So basically what it really needs a lot of misc TLC, a respray, a motor and trans, wheels and tires, etc.

I initially went out to buy it thinking it would be a parts car for my 86. Once i really saw it I knew of nothing to do with it but buy it and figure it out what to do with it from there.

I'm stumped on what to do. It's so damn nice I hate to see anything but a correct restore. The car deserves it.

My next problem is im into 86's, not 85's. I am thinking about doing a build out as an 86GT clone but am still unsure.

now for a few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-01-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Nice!!! Does the wing have a 3rd brake light on it?
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

No 3rd brake light. As far as I know this wing is actually worth quite a bit. Not sure. I'll likely sell the wing and put on an incorrect 3rd brake light spoiler since I have a 93 hatch with wing that's nice.

[edit - quite a few pings on this. No, I won't sell the wing anymore. It's staying on the car.]
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-28-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Engine bay.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sweet! Looks like a good platform to start with. The 86 might be a good donor for the 85.........
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 09-07-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

That's an Awesome Buy Congrats!

The rear wing looks like either a Real Saleen or maybe one of the Dugan Racing wings from back in the day. Congrats!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Afaik it's an actual Saleen wing. I need to find out what the heck this car actually is.

One thing it wasnt -- cared for. That's about to change.

I've had one of those wings before. I only found one good use for it though.

Brock

I can see you maybe needing a hand down the road and I'm willing to help out.
    Brock

It looks like an 85 or 86 Saleen wing from the picture or as Trey said possibly a Dugan Racing one. I paid a good chunk of change for mine so yes they are worth some money. Nice score!
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

WAIT guys! Look closely at his empty engine bay. I'm pretty sure I see the Saleen brace on the crossmember. Maybe a vin check with Saleen is in order before deciding what direction to take.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    WAIT guys! Look closely at his empty engine bay. I'm pretty sure I see the Saleen brace on the crossmember. Maybe a vin check with Saleen is in order before deciding what direction to take.
    How crazy would that be! If it turned out to be a Saleen, that would change my plans for sure.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Hummmmm......here's to hoping

Brock - really appreciate the offer. Once I get going on it I'll let you know.

Saleen? I thought that momentarily last night too. Or I'm wondering if possibly someone crashed a Saleen and threw parts at a GT. Buck tag is on the core support, door info is painted over....

VIN
    1FABP28M1FF188532

Tempting either way to build it as a Saleen since the expensive parts are there.

I have definitely been thinking about building it as an 86 since mine is so far gone.

The other thought I had was build out of the spare parts bin as a fun to drive for now and go on a long term 86 build.

For the 85, Throw an Edelbrock intake and carb on my low miles 1990 longblock and 85 dizzy + ignition. Grab ps pump and brackets, 85 alternator, etc. get a bellhousing. throw in one of my spare T5's a clutch, etc. Grab a radiator and shroud. Track down a driveshaft. Build one of my 8.8's with 3.55's. Get AC parts and finish it off.

Clean the holy heck out of the interior.

Have intertech strip it down and paint it black. Slap on belt trim and admire it.

Dunno - depends upon what the VIN tells us.

I would love to compare this car to a reference and figure out what exactly it is.

I noticed tonight that the power window and lock switches are all chrome rather than black. That's consistent with an LX build which is what the Saleens started life as when they left the ford plant.

There seems to be evidence that the column has been all apart and even out. The wheel is a run of the mill 85GT style with cruise wheel but there is zero evidence of cruise control that I've seen so far

Now the case going the other way...... hatch itself is definitely a run of the mill unit as the holes are there for the spoiler but filled

the instrument trim is GT style.

the speedometer is a 140MPH, not a Saleen 170 unit (albeit my buddy's 86 has a Saleen speedo and his is an 86GT -- he added the speedo)

So interesting either way. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would blow this particular car apart. Way nicer bones on this one than my 86 had way back in 1992 when I bought it!

Sure looks like the cross member brace to me too. Nice catch there dagenham

I did a quick search thru the registry and I didn't see 532 in there for 85 or 86. I would still contact Saleen and see if they maybe did something to the car and never serialized it? Never know....

Does it have the onion head strut mounts? I can't tell from the picture.

Regardless if its real or not, it looks like an awesome find. Congrats!!!
    Last edited by Tigger; 09-08-2017 at 02:33 AM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Onion head strut mounts on the towers? yes.

What other details are there to look for?

Agreed - Saleen should be contacted.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Definitely worth checking into!

The odds are its a plethora of parts thrown together over the years to keep it running and driving with no real rhyme or reason, but . . . You NEVER know!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The k-member should be stamped with the bumper number. I don't remember exactly where as it has been a few years since I found mine. Thought I had a picture somewhere but I can't find it. I want to say it was near the brace that was added.

The car looks lowered. Maybe take a peek at the springs. Sounds like the shocks and struts are OEM? Not sure when the transition from bilstiens to koni happened. Mine has koni's but it was a late 86. Car would have a wolf steering wheel if it was an 85.

How about the map light? Is there a power plug wired in for the radar detector? Is there an alarm? 85's came with cal custom alarms.
    Last edited by Tigger; 09-08-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Sounds like an awesome find!! Look forward to hearing about its history if you can track it down. Be awesome if it is truly a Saleen or Saleen modded car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

I can't find the number on the underside of my 85 Saleen anywhere. Doesn't mean it's not there though. Probably covered by crud.

I would definatly email Saleen and give them the vin. They got back to me the next day when I inquired about the one I bought.
    Last edited by dagenham; 09-08-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Whew. Now THAT'S a project. I can't even imagine. Mine was dusty and crusty but it was a whole car with everything plugged in where it went. I feel for you. It sure does look solid for sure but what a puzzle! Wires to nowhere. At least you have 2 cars for reference that are at least close to what you are working on. Glad someone could see through it all and save it. I promise there aren't many other people that brave. I hope it was dirt cheap at least. Please keep us up to date on the progress.
    Last edited by homer302; 09-08-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Sorry, just now saw you posted the VIN. All the Saleen VINs are in the book. Let me go look.
    EDIT: All the Saleen VINs are known and 532 is not one. It's close though! Not necessarily in the same order down the line but there was one assigned a Saleen VIN 6 away.
    Last edited by homer302; 09-08-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Well then. That changes things. Maybe a Saleen clone or tribute type car done to your taste. Throw a 351 in it just for grins!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast