Close

Threaded View

Default New addition to the stable - A 1985 something

I found a car 65 miles from my house that I thought might be worth a look....... boy was it ever.

I thought based upon the advertising on Craig's list that I was headed out to look at an 86 sunroof car with no motor or trans that clearly needed paint.

After looking at it for a few minutes things started jumping out. No EFI wiring. External voltage regulator. Battery on the right, etc. Definitely not an 86! Clearly an 85. And the roof - sacralidge... some dork put a generic sunroof in a hardtop car and ruined a perfectly good roof in the process!!

Now what caused me to buy it. The interior, while dusty, looks completely original grey and most of it is exceptionally nice or will clean up perfectly. I do not prefer grey interiors but wow - I did not expect this. I know how my original halo seats sat by 78K and where the holes were worn through the fabric and the piping was shot, etc. These seats are none of that. They don't even have a hint of it. It's like the miles showing on the 140 MPH speedometer nowhere near car's actual much lower mileage. (Edit - last recorded mileage on carfax was 1986 at 14400 miles - that’s the last time it was seen for so much as an oil change apparently)

And the body? Some idiot murdered out the car and put a giant Saleen wing and some ground effects on it but that's the extent of the sins. I looked and looked-- checked all the usual spots. The damn thing doesn't have any rust! Quarters, hatch, doors, fenders, hood, bumpers, floorpans, etc - all clean! [correction] Shocks and struts are Koni adjustable with what appear to be racecraft springs. Brakes rotors and pads are either period correct genuine ford replacements or the originals too! Headers, mid-pipes and mufflers -- again all original and nice! [h pipe is without cats]

holy cow - unreal.

So basically what it really needs a lot of misc TLC, a respray, a motor and trans, wheels and tires, etc.

I initially went out to buy it thinking it would be a parts car for my 86. Once i really saw it I knew of nothing to do with it but buy it and figure it out what to do with it from there.

I'm stumped on what to do. It's so damn nice I hate to see anything but a correct restore. The car deserves it.

My next problem is im into 86's, not 85's. I am thinking about doing a build out as an 86GT clone but am still unsure.

now for a few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-01-2022 at 03:57 PM.