Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Those are about impossible to find. And I have a 5.0L on my stand. But I had to LOL and smile when I read it...

now i I know what Trey was thinking....... what's in it for me.....

It would be an interesting little build with a SC 3.8. About 150 lbs lighter up front and around the same power potential as a N/A 5.0.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Too bad they don't offer a black center....
    Apparently you didn't read the entire webpage.

Name:  ESR Wheels.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  39.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    I think since it's a mish mash possibly, you should throw a supercoupe engine in it

With you doing that and Trey putting a new full floor pan in his I should be set up with following your guys examples with my blue car

Now if Brock will just accept the truth that he needs a Ron Francis full harness, I should be set for the rest of my build.
    No! on the full floor pan and its too bad that I wasn't on FEP back when I first got my PC back on the road as it has a full Ron Francis wiring kit in it.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 09-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

lol - yea ..... I should read more carefully on that one for sure. One thing..... it sounds expensive.

I am close to having a direction decided. I have to make sure when this 85 is done I don't have more in it than its worth. I should probably plan to do a quick build that's nice but not crazy expensive then I can play with it while I'm doing a much bigger build on my 86.

I know where my thoughts got derailed on suspension stuff a little. I remembered that the 85 Saleens did had Racecraft springs did have a different brand shocks/struts-- not Racecraft. They had Bilstein shocks/struts. Interesting. Did they make quadshocks.

[Edit - Saleen used Bilstein on some 85s and later in 85 Koni]

Here's an article referencing the 85 Saleen Racecraft setup:
    http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...aleen-mustang/

I just looked at the price on springs and shocks and struts. Made me smile all over again.

I'll get a build thread going on this car soon.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-14-2017 at 01:01 AM.

My thoughts on this car was more likely it was used as a race car. That would explain the Koni's over the bilsteins. Somebody spent some money on that car. Doubtful it was a wrecked Saleen swap.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post

Now if Brock will just accept the truth that he needs a Ron Francis full harness, I should be set for the rest of my build.
    What would be the fun in that? Nothing is more satisfying than turning circles with Ford's crappy wiring and electrical schematics. It's hair raising excitement!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Just found info that in 85 some went out the door with Koni towards the tail end of the production year. One example referenced earlier in this thread. Fun.

I have 85-132. It has Koni quad shocks but Bilstein shocks and struts.

Fun! Almost like the stock was used until gone then they went to the next supplier

I would love to have this one
    Mike

85 saleen 014 1st Red Saleen and 7th car built..
    86 Saleen 199 Black
    86 Saleen 200 Black Convertible

Black isn't a color it's a Statement

Glad to get acquainted with you Mike.

Just a note on the springs/shocks/struts. Racecraft suspension was the term Saleen gave to suspension components they selected to work together on their cars. This gets confusing because now-days there is a Racecraft shock and strut available and Saleen sells them. The originals shock/strut were Bilstein. Some of the 85 started seeing some Koni. Koni showed up on quad-shock duty before anywhere else based upon input from many.

I see the cruise cable attached to the throttle cable in the engine compartment pick. The other parts are in the fender well on an 85. This car had cruise.

There seems to be evidence that the column has been all apart and even out. The wheel is a run of the mill 85GT style with cruise wheel but there is zero evidence of cruise control that I've seen so far
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Thanks for the observation!

Guess that explains the cruise steering wheel that's on it. I totally missed it.

Of course after looking under the hood of an 86 for the past 25 years this is all about as unfamiliar as it gets. Lol.

Still doesn't tell me a thing about the history of this car! Some real Saleens were built and sent out with the Wolf in the back if they had cruise.

I bought a Momo and will eliminate the extra stuff or source an on the blinker switch setup. Time will tell.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-24-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Doing some quick research. Kenny Brown Crew Chief of the Saleen Racing Team is from Omaha, and their race shop for the team was rumored to be based there. I would be checking with Kenny Brown Performance and see if they have any record of Test Mule cars from 1985 or if it may have been one of their personal cars.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

If this vehicle exists it gives basis for yours possibly being something similar.
    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/re...3929/#comments
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfannoz View Post
    Doing some quick research. Kenny Brown Crew Chief of the Saleen Racing Team is from Omaha, and their race shop for the team was rumored to be based there. I would be checking with Kenny Brown Performance and see if they have any record of Test Mule cars from 1985 or if it may have been one of their personal cars.
    I hadn't thought about this angle and it is entirely possible that this car could have a unique history. It might be one that is hard to trace, but would be worthwhile to dig deep into. Being that Kenny Brown had his race team here and his son, the late Paul Brown who founded HP Motorsports here, it is entirely possible that this could be something that either they owned or worked on years ago. I agree with Steve, I would be checking not only with Saleen, but also Kenny Brown Performance to see if there are any records of it.

I would be documenting every single piece and every single action done to this car with notes and photos. This needs to be investigated until it is proven either unique or just a hack job. How cool would it be if it did turn out to be a Brown car?
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 09-26-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    Brock

This is an angle that definitely fits the pedigree of the car, but If it was Paul behind it it was not HPM behind the transformation. My thought for two reasons.
    1- HPM wasn't founded until the early 90's. Possible still then to get the parts on the car but why
    2 - HPM was all about fabricating and installing their advantages before the track. One would expect to see HPM parts on the car.
    -- caster/camber plates (which I own a set I kept new in box from 1997 until 2016 when I finally installed them on my 86)
    -- subframe connectors (HPM's were moly - and absolutely outstanding quality. they've really held up on my car- even in the salt)
    -- Strut tower brace (HPM was first to market with a moly STB afaik - extremely strong)
    -- megabite upper and lower control arms were an HPM marvel

I have felt felt all along that there is a real mystery with this car. We might be on the right track for solving it. Owner history should shed some light on it but will take time to research.

Paul was one hell of a racer and one hell of a man. He always treated customers very well. I marveled at some of the iconic things in his shop like the 351W equipped supercharged Saleen that was always in his shop.

I didn't have the budget to build what I wanted back when HPM was around but bought what I couldn't afford plus some.

Back in the early years of tinkering there is no question that Paul (and team) could have done a transformation like what was done to my 85. The flip side to this is nearly everything there is relatively easy to install even in a garage with little more than basic hand tools.

The mystery may last longer than the restoration. I'm fine with that

This is an angle that definitely fits the pedigree of the car, but If it was Paul behind it it was not HPM behind the transformation. My thought for two reasons.
    1- HPM wasn't founded until the early 90's. Possible still then to get the parts on the car but why
    2 - HPM was all about fabricating and installing their advantages before the track. One would expect to see HPM parts on the car.
    -- caster/camber plates (which I own a set I kept new in box from 1997 until 2016 when I finally installed them on my 86)
    -- subframe connectors (HPM's were moly - and absolutely outstanding quality. they've really held up on my car- even in the salt)
    -- Strut tower brace (HPM was first to market with a moly STB afaik - extremely strong)
    -- megabite upper and lower control arms were an HPM marvel

I have felt felt all along that there is a real mystery with this car. We might be on the right track for solving it. Owner history should shed some light on it but will take time to research.

Paul was one hell of a racer and one hell of a man. He always treated customers very well. I marveled at some of the iconic things in his shop like the 351W equipped supercharged Saleen that was always in his shop.

I didn't have the budget to build what I wanted back when HPM was around but bought what I couldn't afford plus some.

Back in the early years of tinkering there is no question that Paul (and team) could have done a transformation like what was done to my 85. The flip side to this is nearly everything there is relatively easy to install even in a garage with little more than basic hand tools.

The mystery may last longer than the restoration. I'm fine with that.
    Ultimately, I agree that it would not be an HP car simply for the fact that it would more than likely be wearing their parts.....that was not where I was going with that. If anything I meant that it could have been one that Kenny or his crew had it and that's why it is the way it is. In 85, Paul would have been 16 so it's entirely possible that he had his hands on it as a teenager.

Far chance in heck it is, but it would be awesome if it did have that pedigree. It would be somewhat of a local legend car.
    Brock

Yea - he was definitely a legend locally. And should be considered more of one than he was nationally considering his talent. Check out the driver highlights at the end of the tribute page here:
    http://www.kennybrown.com/paul-brown-tribute

I think I just derailed my own thread.... lol.

I met Paul back in 1995. I was a 16 year old kid then and wanted a HP equipped 5.0 and had a lot of questions. I'm sure most of them sounded stupid to him, especially coming from a small town Nebraska kid that didn't have much of a clue what I was talking about, but he answered a lot of the questions and I remember him being really personable. I thought he was a really stand up guy and I wish I had gotten the chance to build the HP equipped car.

BTW....I just found a neat article to add a little to the probably far fetched idea and thread derailment.

https://www.motorsport.com/pwc/news/...er-remembered/
    Brock

Sorry to derail your thread!
    You might check with the Mustang Club of Omaha historian to see if the car was ever a club members car as from some things I read there were members of the club that helped out the racing team. I am thinking the car belonged to someone who would have had access to the parts. It was maybe their weekend racer.

Maybe the parts were payment for helping out the team??

This article from 1986 talks about the club members helping out the team.
    http://soec.org/the-racers-edge/
    Last edited by bluesfannoz; 09-26-2017 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Here's more interesting history on 85 Saleen.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Mustang/page3&

The part I am most interested in is exactly HOW you FIND 14 more cars? And how do you know there were not 15 more cars? Or 20?!

Reading further there are actually documented examples of 85 Saleen rolling out with two tone paint and no front fascia or spats! Sound familiar ?! It does to me!

I almost want to take the thing to a big show as-is just so someone can step forward and tell the rest of us what the hell we are looking at!

Oh - and check out the Preditor at the end of the thread I sent the link to above!

I continue to visit options sheets and collect a mish-mash of four eyed Saleen parts and 85 Mustang parts. The build thread is lots of leg work and little wrench work right now which needs to change very soon or I'm going to be freezing my tail off while putting drive train in this car! And I'm going to run out of time to get it through paint and reassembly!

Oh - and check out the Preditor at the end of the thread I sent the link to above!
    I believe Fidel (Stangman116) owns that Predator now. I've seen his a couple times now since I travel that way for work.
    Brock

I should clarify on the link... read all three pages. Interesting

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast