Close

Thread: Flickr Tutorial

Default Flickr Tutorial

With Photobucket acting a fool, there needed to be an alternative to hosted pictures. I chose Flickr as it seems to be fairly straight forward and minimal BS to using it. What I found is that to enable 3rd party hosting to display the picture you wanted is not as straightforward as it should be. After messing around with it for some time, I have finally figured it out and thought I would post a tutorial for those, that like myself, are not the most tech savvy people.

As far as I know, this is the easiest way to do this through Flickr.

1) Open your Flicker account and select the picture you want to host. It should enlarge to "full screen" and at the bottom right corner, it says "view on photo page". Click there to open new screen.

2) When the new screen opens at the bottom right of screen, there should be some icons that appear. Click the Arrow Icon.

3) It should bring up a box that says "share" and have an option of selecting BB Code.

4) Copy the BB Code and then paste it directly into your "Reply" box here on the forum. Do not use the "attach photo from URL" box like you did with PB.

5) Here's where you have to do a little work. Remove everything from each side of the [img] tags. It is not needed.

7) When everything is removed and you hit reply, you should have a nice hosted picture from Flickr.

Hope this helps anyone that wants to go this route. It's not the easiest thing ever, but it beats paying $399 a year to host pictures. Sorry about some of the blurry photos.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP Supporter

Great stuff Brock!

I am leery to put faith in another "free" service. I wonder how long the rest of these hosting sites will take before they start to demand more ($) from their users just like PB did?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

FEP Member

awesome! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Great stuff Brock!

I am leery to put faith in another "free" service. I wonder how long the rest of these hosting sites will take before they start to demand more ($) from their users just like PB did?
    I understand that but unlike PB, Flickr is part of a larger company...Yahoo. Much like Google, I have a feeling that they remain free for some time. With the extra traffic sent their way thanks to PB, they in turn will receive more revenue because of it. Not saying it won't happen, but I have a feeling even if they do, it will not be anything like the debacle that is PB.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Where were you back when PB went kaput?

It took me a while to figure out what you posted but I had some help from a couple guys on another forum who posted the basics, but not as well as you did.

As for trusting Flickr, what do we have to lose? Anything I had on PB I also had backups on my computer and on thumb drives. I learned a long time ago about the value of backups. I don't 100% trust any cloud storage.

Even if they did for some reason discontinue the free hosting, and I don't think that's likely any time soon, they offer a paid subscription for $49.99/year. If PB had done that people would have grumbled a bit but I'll bet they'd have kept most of their customers. I can't for the life of me figure out why they decided to charge so much. Since when is driving pretty much all of your customers away a valid business model?
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Can't see any harm in bumping this thread. It is terrific for sure. I couldn't find it because the search doesn't work so here it is. I'm sure you all have it figured out already and even with this I had a couple challenges, LOL. But anyway. Brock did a great job on this and put a bit of time in it as well for no other reason than to help others. It does work but it's not Photobucket for sure. It's ALSO not $400 a YEAR either.