Close

Default Kill switch 86 Capri

I am looking to install a kill switch in my McLaren roadster but I want to have it hidden inside the car somewhere. I could easily install the battery disconnect, but I don't want to pop the hood every time I get out of the car.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a simple toggle switch and what circuit to interrupt? I don't want to lose my radio settings, either. I have done a little googling and haven't found a small switch, either.

I'm thinking that something under the driver seat that would disable the fuel pump might be a good starting place??

You probably want to interrupt the ignition. That way you don't empty out the fuel system if you forget it. Not a huge deal. If you go in the electrical forum here you can download the 86 electrical diagrams. You should be able to find a wire to disable the ignition.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

In my 92, as well as a few SAAC MKII & Saleens I have seen lately there is a Ford dealer installed alarm, with a kill switch. It is a very small button mounted to the dash frame just under the steering column. Best I can tell it interrupts the solenoid, or the ignition wire leading to the solenoid. You have to reach under and depress the the button while you crank the car, or else no crank. Doesn't kill overall power, so you don't lose radio stations...and doesn't kill the fuel pump. Very small button that is very tough to find unless you know what you are looking for.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by 86McLarenCapri View Post
    that would disable the fuel pump might be a good starting place??
    That's is my choice of kill switch for my 88 and 99 EFI.

My 85 carb has an ignition cut off. I bought heavy duty switches so they will last.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Why not put a switch inside the glove box that cuts off ECU power? Injectors never fire then.

If you put the switch on the orange/black wire before the Y split (one side goes to the ECU relay, other continues on to the ignition switch) then there's no way easy way to cause spark or deliver fuel or crank it or anything.

easy to make it completely reversible too
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-07-2017 at 09:45 PM.