Close

Default Quick Paint Question - Painting New Brake Booster

So I am trying to paint a brand new brake booster, and am having a tough time with only one part of the booster. First off, I painted it with a hammerite enamel paint, then changed my mind and was just going to paint it satin black enamel for simplicity. Well, I sanded the hammerite, and wiped it down with a microfiber with paint prep solvent (just like I did the bare metal before I painted the booster with hammerite). Well, the satin went on perfectly on all of the booster except one section on top, right where you can see it. It started to wrinkle, like a wrinkle finish paint, but only in a small area about an inch by 3 inches. There were never any stickers or anything on the metal, so I have no idea why the paint is reacting like this.

Paints are all enamel. The pic below shows an enamel primer I sprayed after sanding down the satin black, and it actually seems to be reacting worse. Hoping someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong.... by the way... a paint guy I am not, but I usually can do ok with this easier stuff.

Name:  bad-paint.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  52.9 KB

The paint is lifting. The new paint is simply making the previous coats "wet" again and causes it to wrinkle. It won't make it wet enough to flow evenly, so the old paint puckers up where it returned to solution. Then it dries and leaves gaps where it's not attached to the substrate.

youll want to strip the paint completely off and start over. The lower layers of paint won't reattach to the substrate.

Completely sand it down to the bare metal.

I like Acteone to clean stuff that I'm going to paint. I know that there are better chemicals. But, so far, for me, Acetone has worked fine with the different Rust-Oleum paints that I use (brush enamel and spray) .

Also, the temperature of item, and the change in temperature as the paint cures, can be an issue with parts this time of year (near Autumn), if an item is painted in a non heated area (shed, detached garage, etc).