Close

Default 86 gt I need alot of advise on wheels, tires, and suspension

Howdy. I bought this 86 gt. My back tires are being cut into the sidewall and my front tires are rubbing on what i guess is the sway bar. Don't laugh fellers, i aint very mechanically inclined. I'm just a piddler. Anyhow, fenders are not rolled on back. They are on front. I don't know how wide the rims are, but the tire sizes are 245/45 with 17 inch rims. I have a picture by the way. If somebody maybe could tell me what kind they are and how wide by the tire size, i'd appreciate that too. Anyhow, lmr said i might have the wrong front axles. I don't flipping know. I have a guy that can give me some shorter tires, i think 245/40s, but that wont fix either problem. Will adjustable shocks fix the back? As far as the front i dont have any idea. Please help me. I know im a little scattered. Thanks.

Posting a picture of the wheels/tires on the car from the back and side might help us out with what setup is currently on the car so we can give you some direction on how to fix the issues you are having.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

245/45/17's on 94-95 tribar rims fit great.

These rims clear stock spindles "hats" with ranger rotors (5 lug conversion) but run rim extremely close to the strut. Spacers needed sometimes.

I use Sn95 front spindles and 99GT calipers and Baer rotors. X2 balljoints and camber bolts.

out back I suggest northern racing brackets, fox length axles, and sn95 brakes. A lot of guys run SN95 rear diffs which are the same width as Tbird and 1993 Cobra and SVO. Problem is if you run a normal offset rim it's too wide. Cobras and SVOs run a different offset and taller rotor hubs in front to even it out.

Anyway - what I suggested is what works for me.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-05-2017 at 09:55 PM.

It might be as simple as getting a different wheel to address your tire rubbing issue.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

I will post a picture. I thought i uploaded it. I'll have to do it later. Thanks for the replys so far. Will have questions to come.

First: Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the new car!
    Four Eyes RULE!!!

Pics of my car:
    http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...Mach1_springs/

There are a number of real life issues with any Fox or Sn95 Mustang.
    For 4-eyes, there are many many many many real-life issues.
    Especially when comparing the size of my pecker to Mike's pecker.
    Imho, do not get caught up in pecker comparison.

For Foxs, and 4-eyes, there are tons of tolerances, wear, and how the car is used concerns.

I do not "run 315 width tires on 28-inch rims on a Stang that is lowered by 4 inches".
    I keep my Stang close to stock in areas that *I* care about. That includes ride height, "stock/OEM/FRPP/Ford" engine components, and not rolling or pushing out the fenders.
    But, I push things as much as I can in other areas (tire width, ABS, etc).

The point is that it's your car. You decide what is important to you and your car.
    Imho, that's the whole point of getting a toy like a 4-eye to play with!!

For my car, for the front, the from the factory fit and finish were a joke.
    Look at my from-the-factory fit of my hood.

For my car, on the front fender, the tires are so close, that new tires will rub at full turn. And, I added steering rack limiters to limit the turn amount.
    The rubber spring isolators also compress and the bottom will wear away. That lowers the car even more.
    Also, a 1/4" adjustment in the installation of the fender makes a lot of difference when you're squeezing tires on the car.
    As for rear, because of rubber bushing wear and deterioration, there's a good chance that it's not centered.

Also, ever heard of "females". ;-)
    Well, that species has to deal with BS called "dress sizes". The standard for dress sizes is "what ever the ****** the manufacture feels like".

Well....the same is true for tires. Argg!
    The specs can even change year to year for the same tire model and size.
    That's why it's often illegal (depends on local laws) for a tire place to just replace one or two tires on many new cars. The difference in tire diameters can effect the stability-control systems, ABS, etc control of the car.

So, just because Joe Blow has some tire size that fits on his car, that doesn't mean that a new tire of that size will fit on Mike's car.
    Still, it's good to see and know what people have on their car, and also any/all of the mods they did. Just realize that copying someone else's setup exactly does not guarantee that it will fit on your car without issues.
    If people want simple, they can go to the new car dealer and buy some run of the mill boring car from the lot.

Good Luck!