Close

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Come on Trey, do a full floor replacement

You see, that way I can avoid the mistakes you might make.

Yep buddy, you need a new full floorpan replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Come on Trey, do a full floor replacement

You see, that way I can avoid the mistakes you might make.

Yep buddy, you need a new full floorpan replacement.
    WOW! And to think I was under the impression that you and I were Friends!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    WOW! And to think I was under the impression that you and I were Friends!
    Yes, yes we are. But what a better friend you would be by documenting a full floor pan replacement

Yes, yes we are. But what a better friend you would be by documenting a full floor pan replacement
    I'm with this guy Trey! Might be looking at going that route myself in the future.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!!!!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I'll volunteer to buy the beer and the parts and bring the welder if someone with body talents wants to help take on such surgery on my 1986 GT ..... we can document it!

Hey - we could gut a 87-93 for parts in the process -- sounds like sweet revenge as so many four eyed cars were killed or converted in favor of those.

Regardless of how things play out on my mystery 85, that ol 86 in my eyes deserves to be fixed -- she's been an important part of my family for 25 years. I can't see killing that 86 to save an 85 when they are both saveable.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I'll volunteer to buy the beer and the parts and bring the welder if someone with body talents wants to help take on such surgery on my 1986 GT ..... we can document it!

Hey - we could gut a 87-93 for parts in the process -- sounds like sweet revenge as so many four eyed cars were killed or converted in favor of those.

Regardless of how things play out on my mystery 85, that ol 86 in my eyes deserves to be fixed -- she's been an important part of my family for 25 years. I can't see killing that 86 to save an 85 when they are both saveable.
    I have battery powered DeWalt sawzall's, grinders and drills. All we would need are extra bits, blades and wheels. How hard can it be?
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I'm with this guy Trey! Might be looking at going that route myself in the future.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!!!!
    Yeah! You guys are such great friends! Hey get Trey to do it "HE LIKES IT! HE LIKES IT!"

Come On Trey's the guy that hasn't finished his 82 GT and starts on a 82 RS so lets make it even more involved and costly so he NEVER finishes the GT!

You guys are CRAZY! No way, I am doing an entire floor in this one . . . OR at least I hope NOT!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

It would have to be Tequila and Margarita mix for a full floor pan IMHO!

I been parting out 87-93 cars for years! That's only way and reason virtually any of my Four Eyes ever see the road again!

I have battery powered DeWalt sawzall's, grinders and drills. All we would need are extra bits, blades and wheels. How hard can it be?
    Air Hammer/Chisel is a great tool to have! Tenuous shots up to date are usually another!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Live stream it!!! We all want to see. Run it thru FEP and sell access to support the board. There may have to be editing done to cut out some of the cussing and stumbling drunk people if tequila is involved, though.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

This is starting to sound like an FEP version of RoadKill!

It would be FUN! It would be COOL! Not sure its in the Best interest of the RS!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Yeah! You guys are such great friends! Hey get Trey to do it "HE LIKES IT! HE LIKES IT!"

Come On Trey's the guy that hasn't finished his 82 GT and starts on a 82 RS so lets make it even more involved and costly so he NEVER finishes the GT!

You guys are CRAZY! No way, I am doing an entire floor in this one . . . OR at least I hope NOT!
    This is starting to sound like an FEP version of RoadKill!

It would be FUN! It would be COOL! Not sure its in the Best interest of the RS!
    Well then! Stop work on it immediately and get back to work on the 82 GT. Problem solved!
    Brock

Tequila and margarita mix - what the heck, why not....

Shots- no kidding!

Well, my only requirement for the party if we do mine is my car will drive in under its own power so it also has to drive out under its own power. Rear frame rails and torque boxes are also a good idea. If we did it I'd simply buy the best new parts I can find for those as it would likely save tons of time.

Where we doing this party at?

82GT? Yes ... yes - well... do what's needed to prevent further damage then work on your GT first may be the answer. ATF and a hand sprayer will stop most under body rust for quite a while.

Maybe the first wrenching party is on your 82GT. Get it back to driveable condition.....

Too bad my transmission didn't leak out beyond the trans tunnel because boy that part of my car is still nice. Grr.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.

Well then! Stop work on it immediately and get back to work on the 82 GT. Problem solved!
    Where we doing this party at?

82GT? Yes ... yes - well... do what's needed to prevent further damage then work on your GT first may be the answer. ATF and a hand sprayer will stop most under body rust for quite a while.

Maybe the first wrenching party is on your 82GT. Get it back to driveable condition.....
    The first issue is that my 82 GT is 1100 miles away in my shop back in Colorado. The Capri and all the parts I need to fix the rust are here at my ole' shop in TX!

My plan is to tackle what I can on the Capri while NOT tearing it down or making it unmovable under its own power. I had to order a fuel pump since NO ONE stocks it around here. I am going to put a fuel pump and a small fuel cell/container in the engine bay as well as a new starter solenoid and see if we can make the car start up and run on its own. Not sure just yet about brakes and clutch, but hopefully they work well enough to lot drive it right now.

Then the plan is to get my repair sections from the parts cars here. I already have a replacement hatch its an 85, so I will have to weld up some holes, but its in great shape and will work just fine. I have the floor pan pieces and the roof pieces off an old GLX that is wrecked too hard in the front to fix and was gutted years ago. Then its just a matter of cutting the roof off and welding a new one on!

There has been progress on my 82 GT since my last post, but I just haven't updated the build thread since there's not much else to report right now. I have the hydroboost sorted out and moved to clear the larger 5.4 DOHC even with the engine mounted without any K member spacers! The next big hurdle is $$ as I need/want the Holley EFI setup to run my fuel injection and the unit I want and would prefer is a $2K bill that I just can't pay right now. Hopefully before the end of the year, but we will have to see!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Anyone ever tried locking the triton cam advance/retard and running the EFI off of a 99-04 ECU or even an 89+ EEC-IV?

I know..... complaints about loss of technology, etc..... just thinking outside the box a little....

But honestly I can't imagine spending $2000 on an EFI setup. I'm going to run a $250 Typhoon and a quarterhorse board in an A9L on my warmed Windsor when it's done.
    -- James

My four eyed foxes:

past foxes -

Holley's got that new Sniper setup to compete wtih FiTech. I think its only about a 1000.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Was able to work on the RS for about an hour this evening so I decided to pull out the carpet to see how bad the floor pans really are!

Overall view of the floor pans.

Attachment 115239
    Alright, in a former life, you must have been one of the those magicians that can snatch a table cloth out from under an entire table full of dishes and glassware. That's the only way I can imagine you could that carpet out from under the console cause I doubt you reinstalled it.

Anyone ever tried locking the triton cam advance/retard and running the EFI off of a 99-04 ECU or even an 89+ EEC-IV?

I know..... complaints about loss of technology, etc..... just thinking outside the box a little....

But honestly I can't imagine spending $2000 on an EFI setup. I'm going to run a $250 Typhoon and a quarterhorse board in an A9L on my warmed Windsor when it's done.
    There is no cam advance with the older setups. Not an issue for me. I have considered running the 2003 Mach 1 harness and ECU. It does save some $$, but still by the time I piece it together and then have the PATS removed, I am generally at $1K or more at least with what I have found online. The aftermarket Ron Francis/Detail Zone puts me at @ 800-1,000 just for the wiring kit alone.

I have looked at alot of options and ultimately they all cost a bit less, but don't do what I really want them to do. I will get more done on the GT and get it closer to being road ready and if at that point I still can't afford the Holley I will consider other options.

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Holley's got that new Sniper setup to compete wtih FiTech. I think its only about a 1000.
    The Fitech and the Holley similar setups are about $1K for a TBI which is fine. I personally plan on going with one of the New Holley Sniper EFI intake manifolds for the 5.0 with my adapter plates and the Holley HP EFI setup. If I go all the ways with my plans for the GT I will want and need the capabilities of a system such as that.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Alright, in a former life, you must have been one of the those magicians that can snatch a table cloth out from under an entire table full of dishes and glassware. That's the only way I can imagine you could that carpet out from under the console cause I doubt you reinstalled it.
    Years of gutting Mustang & Capri have taught me a trick or two. If you are saving the carpet there is no way to get the carpet out without removing the console.

If you are trashing the carpet, then removing the 4 screws inside the armest area, the two under the ash tray, and careful work with an knife and you can get the carpet out without removing the center console, info center, shifter trim, etc.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The Fitech and the Holley similar setups are about $1K for a TBI which is fine. I personally plan on going with one of the New Holley Sniper EFI intake manifolds for the 5.0 with my adapter plates and the Holley HP EFI setup. If I go all the ways with my plans for the GT I will want and need the capabilities of a system such as that.

Wait...oh I went back and reread and noticed the conversation switch to the GT with the 5.4.

Well, you could really screw some people up by running a carb intake and tbi and a dual snorkel air cleaner. I wonder how many would actually notice there is not a 5.0 underneath? Even though it's almost touching the shock towers!

Are you changing engines in the Capri? I'm confused now. Let's get back to filming a full floor pan replacement! I was keeping up with that line of thought!

Last edited by droopie85gt; 09-09-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Cost and shipping bs aside, who makes the best replacement pans for our foxes?

I'd buy two, help, and even let my 86 be the one to go first. Wonder if two cars could get done in a week of thrashing.

Worst part with my 86 is its not just the pans. It's the rockers and torque boxes and sections of the rear frame rails too.

Due to this metal drama I am still contemplating parting the 86 and building the 85 as an 86. Would be way cooler to have two foxes and a pile of spare parts in the end.
    -- James

My four eyed foxes:

past foxes -

Eratic I have been collecting junk for a while now, and have managed to put away some rust free-ish, but definitely useable frame and floor chunks. Not necessarily from the same car or year. But I would gladly share. The hard part is they are still attached to carcasses. I don't cut until I know where to. I may not have it all. You just never know where these cars are going to rust

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Wait...oh I went back and reread and noticed the conversation switch to the GT with the 5.4.

Well, you could really screw some people up by running a carb intake and tbi and a dual snorkel air cleaner. I wonder how many would actually notice there is not a 5.0 underneath? Even though it's almost touching the shock towers!

Are you changing engines in the Capri? I'm confused now. Let's get back to filming a full floor pan replacement! I was keeping up with that line of thought!

Sorry some of the members here helped get this thread off track! Yeah! YOU know who you are!!!

The 5.4 DOHC in the 82 GT is going full port injection. I don't like the look of the Mod with a carb personally and ultimately that engine will get boosted! So........

NOW BACK to the Build/Resurrection/Rescue at hand. The Capri in question will remain as close to stock as reasonably possible. I would like to keep the original numbers matching engine and transmission. I would most likely overhaul the engine just to be safe, but I really don't want to do a swap or even a stroker.

I will most definitely add dual exhaust and probably either a set of OEM tubular headers or aftermarket rather than the stock manifolds. I will run the OEM style SS tips as I think that is the best look on the Capri.

I intend to either repair the interior as much as possible, replace with OEM look materials,
    or maybe a set of Recaros . . .

I do intend to upgrade the brakes to the 87-93 V8, but I will keep the 4 lugs instead of my standard 5 lug swap.

The wheels will be TRX replica since that is the style the RS came with original, although . . . I did see some cool wheels here locally that would look KILLER!

Tomorrow hopefully I will have time to install a new starter solenoid, new fuel pump, rig up a temp fuel cell, and see if the Capri will start and run on its own! I have a feeling there will be either a stuck needle and seat, a bad float, or just plain ole' dried up gaskets in the carburetor, but it will be fun!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Here are your recaros, they need some work, but they have been on here quite a while. https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto...289305791.html. ps, sorry about helping with the derail, I didn't read it close enough

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Here are your recaros, they need some work, but they have been on here quite a while. https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto...289305791.html. ps, sorry about helping with the derail, I didn't read it close enough
    I'm sooooo glad that car isn't down here....... I would have probably made a bad financial decision if it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Its all good! I do the same from time to time. Nothing wrong with good discussions, just don't want to get my two builds too mixed up!

I'm sooooo glad that car isn't down here....... I would have probably made a bad financial decision if it was.
    Can't argue with that! Car looks rough, but appears to have most of it's parts and pieces. Thankfully I already have a PC and don't need another one!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller