Close

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Back in '78 when I was first driving (legally), I had a chance to buy a '71 Mach1 with the 429 SCJ for $2000. I was a kid working in a bodyshop as a helper back then, it might as well cost a million. One of those memories that sticks in my mind.

Though it's separate from your original posts, post a picture of it when you're done.
    I think several of us have those stories of the great one that got away. I had the chance to buy a 69 Boss 302 back in the late 90's. Wasn't a perfect car, but was original, driveable, all there, and the Acapulco Blue color (my preferred color) and could be mine for a mere $7k at the time. As a Dad with a 1 year old and a second one on the way, starting my own restoration shop . . . Yeah I didn't have the money and a Mustang wasn't exactly the best daily driver at the time so . . . We bought a Windstar instead! FOR MY WIFE NOT ME!

I will post some pics of the Mustang once put back together. Or at least all of my stuff put back together.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yea.... A black 1967 Fastback sticks out in my mind.

Another one -- that I could have had but went 1986 Mustang instead -- was a low miles Red with Grey interior 1983 Capri RS 5.0L 5-speed. It still had its TRX wheels and bubble hatch, etc. At the time I was insistent upon a black or red interior and really wanted EFI.

Just a few minutes to mess with the RS today, but worth the effort IMHO.

Name:  2017-09-19 12.13.04.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  2017-09-19 12.14.00.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  2017-09-19 12.13.12.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  107.5 KB
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

OH BABY! Those wheels look good.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Just a few minutes to mess with the RS today, but worth the effort IMHO.

Name:  2017-09-19 12.13.04.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  2017-09-19 12.14.00.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  2017-09-19 12.13.12.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  107.5 KB
    Nope! Those do not work on that car. Have them up in Colorado in October and I will swing by and grab them.
    J/K Trey....those look amazing!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Amazing how much better the orphan looks when you buy her some decent shoes! Heck - get out the buffer and a little spray paint to blend the nose trim and you'll have a preview.

Should let you roll it around easily when they hold air. welds may end up on my 85 soon - sick of pushing on flat tires.

Plenty nice enough long term or just until you choose her dress shoes.

These are nice but lots less rubber than any of your cars I've seen pictures of. I suggested TRX wheels the other day-- still would be an awesome way to go after its redone.

I have grin on my face as I suggest something a lot meatier...
    rear: 17x10 bs 6.5", offset 23.8 rims and 315/35/ZR17's
    front: 17x9 24 mm and 255/40/17's

Wouldnt want her to slip and scratch a quarter or something

Last edited by erratic50; 09-19-2017 at 04:56 PM.

I like the look. I would love the look if these were at least 8" wide wheels. That would allow at least a 245 section width. I would really love some 9's and/or 10's but again I am trying to keep this one essentially a resurrection/restoration and not my normal Modification/Customization. My Pace Car, my 82 GT, and my 84 RS will all satisfy my custom needs.

The TRX wheels will end up on the RS at some point, just depends on budget and $$ flow, but unfortunately those are only 7's also so a 225 is the max size. Oh though, I forgot to add that the front tires right now are only 205 and not 225 so they don't give the full meaty look they could/will.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Heck ya they look good and a great color for that car as well

So many sizes not made anymore... makes it tough.

These should fit
    https://tiresize.com/tires/Falken/Zi...-245-50R16.htm

Nice Trey. Jeez I love Capri's.

Actually you will get a full floor pan replacement documentation as I have decided to cut the entire floor out of a donor car I have and replace the entire floor in the Capri rather than patch and repair. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\WRAITH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]Apparently I didn't have enough stuff to fix so I just felt compelled to add to it. The donor car is a 82 GLX that was hit hard in the rear quarter and parted out years ago, but the floor is virtually perfect. A bit of a PITA to cut it out and swap it, but that will make the RS much better and be repaired right so stay tuned!

I did order some interior seat material samples to see if I can get the seats redone in OEM materials to try and restore the interior to like new condition. I am very happy with what I got.

The seat material at first looked to me to be wrong as I thought the center fabric was black only, but after pulling the headrest up I realized that the material is actually blue with black and white dots on it.

Name:  2017-09-12 19.30.13.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  2017-09-12 19.30.30.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  2017-10-08 12.35.43.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  116.5 KB

They sent a couple of possible samples for the vinyl on the sides of the seats, it appears to me the dark of the three is the correct vinyl.

Name:  2017-10-08 12.32.43.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  80.3 KB

The camera lighting makes it appear lighter in the actually light is appears to be a very good if not perfect match.

This is the company that I ordered the samples from.

Name:  2017-10-08 12.31.58.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  91.8 KB

I am definitely not ready to redo the seats just yet, but I wanted to get a jump on finding the correct materials and hopefully get it ordered soon. I am checking with TMI to verify what they offer for the Capri too. I don't believe they offer the correct fabric, but they might have the correct color vinyl. They show seats upholstery in the correct style for the 82 so I believe they offer the pattern I need. I will update once I hear back from them.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Actually you will get a full floor pan replacement documentation as I have decided to cut the entire floor out of a donor car I have and replace the entire floor in the Capri rather than patch and repair.

Apparently I didn't have enough stuff to fix so I just felt compelled to add to it.
    Or you finally broke down due to peer pressure. I'm sure I speak for a few of us in saying we are glad you came to your senses and will be intently waiting for this portion of the thread.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Or you finally broke down due to peer pressure. I'm sure I speak for a few of us in saying we are glad you came to your senses and will be intently waiting for this portion of the thread.
    OH! I have no intention of posting pictures or detailing any of the floor!

All you poor nagging members are on your own! You have to figure it out without me being the guinea pig!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Blog Entries

It's simple-
    Step 1 - cut out old floor.
    Step 2 - weld in new floor.
    Jeez. Even I figured it out.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Awesome fabric!

Hey - at least we aren't giving you crap about selling those mesh wheels anymore.

I hope the floor replacement goes well! I was serious though- I would have totally bought two in trade for some help putting the second one in mine!

Just read from the start... We are a bunch of goofs here. Anyhoo, I was bummed to see you have a roof. I was looking for a reason to hack one off of one of my cars. All in good time, all in good time

For sure Shane! Keep in mind I need two!

Im hoping for factory sunroof skin for my 86.

Still trying to decide if I'm going to just reskin the Saleen, convert to T-top, switch to factory style sunroof, or put up with the crappy aftermarket sunroof.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    For sure Shane! Keep in mind I need two!

Im hoping for factory sunroof skin for my 86.

Still trying to decide if I'm going to just reskin the Saleen, convert to T-top, switch to factory style sunroof, or put up with the crappy aftermarket sunroof.
    I like the factory sunroof in mine but I think if I were in your position dealing with a crappy aftermarket one on the Saleen, I would just skin it and do away with the extra leak and rust points.
    Brock

As usual we took Trey's thread and ran amuck. ("Run amuck? I can run the hell out of a muck...... " Ron White).

Great insight on the roof. Going back on with all steel and no holes appears to be the easiest option.

I am definitely not ready to redo the seats just yet, but I wanted to get a jump on finding the correct materials and hopefully get it ordered soon. I am checking with TMI to verify what they offer for the Capri too. I don't believe they offer the correct fabric, but they might have the correct color vinyl. They show seats upholstery in the correct style for the 82 so I believe they offer the pattern I need. I will update once I hear back from them.
    Trey,
    I'm assuming you have used both TMI and this company before for fabric, so I'm curious if there is a difference in materials and pricing. I know TMI is kinda high on their products, so how does this other company compare?
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Trey,
    I'm assuming you have used both TMI and this company before for fabric, so I'm curious if there is a difference in materials and pricing. I know TMI is kinda high on their products, so how does this other company compare?
    TMI has decent pricing IMHO. They may not be cheap, but they provide a quality product at a reasonable price. The biggest issue is that it appears they only use reproduced materials to keep the cost down on their interior kits, so the matches are many times not an exact match. Such as the 84-86 Sport seats, especially in Grey.

The other company I found while doing some other searching on the internet for OEM supplies. Pricing is not terrible, but again not cheap. The fabric is $89 a yard and the vinyl is $60 a yard for the materials. All of this would be additional on top of any price for the TMI seat covers. TMI doesn't discount the price of their kits even if you supply the materials. They will use your materials, but again no change is price, but if you want it to be original and correct, then there are few options. Since TMI has the patterns and the foam it seems the best way to go IMHO.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    It's simple-
    Step 1 - cut out old floor.
    Step 2 - weld in new floor.
    Jeez. Even I figured it out.
    See you got it!

Besides this is the same man that built is own aero package out of metal, so I would assume you could figure it out!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Actually you will get a full floor pan replacement documentation as I have decided to cut the entire floor out of a donor car I have and replace the entire floor in the Capri rather than patch and repair.

Was able to work on the RS for about an hour this evening so I decided to pull out the carpet to see how bad the floor pans really are!

Overall view of the floor pans.

Attachment 115239

The dreaded driver side seat rot and repair.

Attachment 115240

The driver side front seat mount obviously has seen better days!

Attachment 115241

Hole on the passenger side floor pan.

Attachment 115242

The passenger side footwell area. Crusty and ugly, but no actual rot thru.

Attachment 115243

So honestly overall, I am surprised that the rust isn't worse than it is. Definitely going to need some work to repair what's rotted out, but not a full set of pans. I believe I am going to cut a patch from one of my donor cars to repair the driver side seat mount and seat riser. The hole on the passenger side I will most likely cut a patch for also. There is also a small hole under the rear seat on the passenger side, but that will be a simple metal patch. I will use Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on everything and make sure that everything is sealed up and converted before wrapping it all up.
    Nice find. How are the frame rails?
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

There is rust and corrosion in the frame rail under the battery due to battery acid, but that is really the only frame rail damage. The underside is actually very clean and rust free overall.

The plan is to get the floor pan replaced and then cut out the front frame rail damage and patch in new as needed. The lower radiator support will need some attention to due to curb damage also.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller