Close

Default '86 Mustang 'Track-Day' Semi-Racer

I have 'inherited' a Mustang as noted above. I have only seen pictures because the car is in another state and all that can be seen is a black hatch car with no apparent damage. The paint is better than some and not as good as others.

The last Mustang I've owned was a '79 Turbo Pace Car so I'm quite out of touch with these cars and am seeking some enlightenment and direction. My only other Mustang was a then-new '65 1/2 'K' car to which I did all the GT350 stuff including a Paxton and heads I got from the Ford 'skunkworks' from a LeMans GT-40. Here's what I know about the '86:

The car was bought to be turned into a semi-racer, with the purpose of doing the road-race/gymkhana sort of thing. The seats were removed and race-buckets installed. The front carpet was left in, but I'm told it should be removed/replaced.
    The engine is based on a Steeda-sourced 351 shortblock. The heads are AFR and the valvetrain is all from Comp. The trans is a Tremec HD five-speed. There's a Ford aluminum driveshaft. The rear-end is an 8.8 with 3.89 gears swapped-in. Headers and other oddiments are also there. On a chassis dyno there appears to be 300+ HP so close to 400 at the flywheel is probably realistic.
    The Suspension and brakes have all been replaced with newer, upgraded, parts. Back hatch is fibreglas.
    There are two sets of tires/wheels---almost new stock and aftermarket with track tires.

After all the 'fun' of putting the car together, it was not much used. One track-day and several 'around the cone/course' trips and then it has been left to sit, under a roof for about two years. I'm told it needs a battery and an engine re-wire to some extent. The battery is in the back.

Here's the point---I don't need another car/project. I'd probably race it a few times, but my own project-time is devoted to Land Speed Racing. I may keep it for a while, but winter's coming and it gets cold here in suburban Detroit. If I were to decide to get rid of it, what's it worth---ball-park? Might I be better to pull the engine/trans and sell it off and sell the rest of it as a roller?

Your comments and suggestions are desired.

KS

Need pictures. Where are you at in Detroit area? I might be interested.

I want to see pics
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

I have half-a-dozen pics. Can somebody give me instruction as to how to post them here?

KS

I think the easiest way is with the TapaTalk App on my phone.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"