Close

Default Moving to MN--Road Trip in the 86'--Leaving Friday

My house sold a couple weeks ago and it's time to move to the Minneapolis area--specifically the west side of the cities. Been wanting to move out there for a couple years now, but the real estate market in my area wasn't that great so I was tied down. It's nice to finally have the freedom to get out of this town (Goldendale, WA).

The first leg of moving is starting early Friday morning and I have to be in Minneapolis by Sunday morning--have an appointment to look at a rental at noon on Sunday. 1600+ miles in two days in a FoxBody.

Taking the fastest route via Google maps through Spokane, Billings MT, Bismark and Fargo ND. Goal is to make it to Billings or Miles City Friday evening. Hopefully we make it without a hitch, I was wondering if there are any FEP members along the way that might be willing to lend a hand if I do come across any issues (beer and food on me of course). It's going to be a hail mary trip, if I don't have any issues, I'll most likely just mob out with minimal stops.

Going to leave the Mustang at my brother's place and fly back the 17th to finish packing and make the second trip at the end of the month. Second time out will allow us more time to stop at a couple places and take a little more time to enjoy the scenery.

Thanks,
    Jeremiah
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Good luck, man. Sounds like a hell of an experience. I'd be happy to help out but I'm in Florida so if you're in my neck of the woods you're really really lost.

Don't tell the car you're going on a long trip. Just let it think you're still a few miles from home like any other day

Used to hear stories about no speed limits in Montana. Just a fine for wasting gas/resources or something. (Don't take my word for it.)

Your comment brings back memories....

We lived in northern Wyoming, not far from Montana, from 1987 to 1999. In the early part of that time period Montana indeed had the "reasonable and proper" speed limit. It was widely reported, especially from non-residents, as "no speed limit." In fact, there was a speed limit.... it was at the discretion of the given officer.... which, if you think about it, is kind of unsettling but actually is the way it is everywhere.

Anyhow, I remember friends telling me that a rule of thumb was that, at the time, many officers used 87mph as their limit...... on the interstates, in the daytime, in good weather, with minimal traffic. If any of those conditions did not exist, it was lower.

Not sure how those folks had ascertained the rule of thumb!!

Your results may vary.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Congratulations on making the best choice on where to live. I'm not exactly "on the way", but I do live in the Twin Cities area.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Shakopee is one of the places I've been looking for rentals, although short term rentals are a bit harder to find (don't want an appartment--been looking at townhouses). Trying to get a 6 month lease as I'm planning on buying a house next spring. I'll most likely be buying a place in Watertown or Mayer....also been looking in Waconia, Chaska and Shakopee. Really like Waconia, seems like a really nice area and the housing prices reflect that.
    Jeremiah

Just go over the car like you would for any other trip in a newer car. Check the usual stuff - Oil, Water, Tire press etc. give it a good once over if you do not drive it much to make sure belts and other obvious things are OK.

I recommend taking a few tools, jumper cables and a cell phone. Then sit back and enjoy the scenery!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    Shakopee is one of the places I've been looking for rentals, although short term rentals are a bit harder to find (don't want an appartment--been looking at townhouses). Trying to get a 6 month lease as I'm planning on buying a house next spring. I'll most likely be buying a place in Watertown or Mayer....also been looking in Waconia, Chaska and Shakopee. Really like Waconia, seems like a really nice area and the housing prices reflect that.
    Yeah, Shakopee's getting pretty big, but Waconia has much more of a small town feel. We have friends that live out there. The directions to get to their house is, "take a right at the silo".
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yeah, Shakopee's getting pretty big, but Waconia has much more of a small town feel. We have friends that live out there. The directions to get to their house is, "take a right at the silo".
    Haha that's funny Brad!

Good luck on the road trip Jeremiah! What fun it will be! I hope you have a trouble free drive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I've got plenty of relatives between Ortonville and Wheaton. I reckon that is a bit farther from the big cities than your looking for ?

Good luck on your journey. Sounds like it's something you have been wanting to do for some time. If you are doing it in the '86 "Just because I can" then that's cool. But since you are having to buy a plane ticket to fly back and then drive the whole 1,600 miles again later on I believe I would just ship the car. You could ship 2 cars for what you are going to have in gas driving 3,200 miles and food, lodging and a plane ticket. I suspect it is really just for "ROAD TRIP in the Fox!" so why not? Enjoy your journey and be safe!
    I'm on the other side of the US so I can't help either.

Good luck on your move and congratulations. You will enjoy the route through Bismarck and into Fargo then to msp area. I've ran it many times and there were frequently packs of cars running on their 105 mph governor and patrolman snoozing on the other side of the interstate as we flew by. I got stopped once in my Mountaineer but only because it was for sale at the time and the cop wanted to look at it. Lucky - from what I understand the wrong time of the month there is plenty of paper and ink.....

I made a run from Sanfrancisco to Omaha NE in my 1986 when it had 210K on it -- about 20 years ago. I80 up through Reno and across the mountains through Salt Lake City, etc. Movers showed up 3 days late so it was one hell of a flying run to get to work in Omaha by Monday morning. Blazed it averaging a bit over 100 mph and broke 30 mpg on a few tanks offset by the ones that didn't. 28.5 mpg in the end as I recall. Lol.

Last year we brought my sons 1986 convertible home from Florida where we bought it by driving. Was also a great trip. So I guess I've covered every mile between San Francisco and Orlando in an 86 Mustang......

i make it up to msp area frequently but usually on short notice. At any rate, welcome to the Midwest and enjoy your cross country run.

Thanks for the kind words! Really looking forward to living out there.

I've done a thorough look over of the car, all fluids are fresh, tires have about 4k miles on them, alternator is new as is radiator and hoses. Engine uses less than a quart of oil every 5k miles. Clutch has less than 5k, new motor and trans mounts, u-joints and ball joints--hope I've done enough.

Each my GF and I have cell phones, plan on taking a few basic tools and some good luck.

Didn't really want to ship the car. Next trip out will be with my Ranger and a small trailer and the GF's 5.0 Expo and a small trailer. Not taking much out there, got rid of most everything. It'll be an expensive year between a new house and furnishings.
    Last edited by Two86fiveoh's; 09-05-2017 at 09:55 PM.
    Jeremiah

Car made it out without a single hiccup. Arrived in Excelsior at 7pm on Saturday afternoon. Cruised through Montana and North Dakota at 80-85mph. Moving into a Townhouse in West Bloomington on October 5th, made a couple job contacts as well during the week. Second trip will start October 1st or 2nd.
    Jeremiah

What industry do you work in?

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    Car made it out without a single hiccup. Arrived in Excelsior at 7pm on Saturday afternoon. Cruised through Montana and North Dakota at 80-85mph. Moving into a Townhouse in West Bloomington on October 5th, made a couple job contacts as well during the week. Second trip will start October 1st or 2nd.
    Congrats, man. We never doubted your Stang for a second.