Close

Default T-stat Housing issues

Anyone else have an issue getting the correct t-stat housing for their 302? 86 stock intake. The housing I keep getting are too big where the bypass lines up. Only leaves a tiny area for the gasket to seal, maybe 1/16 in... If that. I have tried all them I can get from AutoZone and O'Reilly, NAPA carries the same brands...

Thoughts?

I feel like I have been through this before, but don't remember where I got the one for my Blue car that lined up perfectly.

1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

I had the same issue with an aftermarket one i bought. I ended up pulling a good used original one from a wreck at PnP.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I had the same issue with an aftermarket one i bought. I ended up pulling a good used original one from a wreck at PnP.
    Thanks for responding, was beginning to think I was the only one with this issue.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

The factory water necks are being reproduced, and are available from several sources under Ford Racing
    part number M-8592-M90. These fit like the originals. Also, if you're replacing it because the bypass tube
    rotted, Napa sells a press-in replacement nipple that fits perfectly. P/N 931349, costs about $3.25.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    The factory water necks are being reproduced, and are available from several sources under Ford Racing
    part number M-8592-M90. These fit like the originals. Also, if you're replacing it because the bypass tube
    rotted, Napa sells a press-in replacement nipple that fits perfectly. P/N 931349, costs about $3.25.
    Thanks, ill look into it
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

I had issues also on my 84. I tried an aftermarket housing and it leaked. I wound up buying a felpro gasket and reusing the original housing and it seemed to fix my issue. Very weird but I guess everything is kinda worn into each other since its 34 years old lol

[QUOTE=Jig Saw;1857917]I had issues also on my 84. I tried an aftermarket housing and it leaked. I wound up buying a felpro gasket and reusing the original housing and it seemed to fix my issue. Very weird but I guess everything is kinda worn into each other since its 34 years old lol[/QQUOTE

Ya, all aftermarket ones had a very small sealing area. I guess they tried to make one part work on many different applications. I pulled the one off the race motor I have. It is a Ford F0ZE-8594-AA. Fit perfectly, lined up as it should.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

1981 Mustang GT-

In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

I went through the same issue with my 85 GT. Every auto parts person thought I was crazy until I showed them the original. I even contacted one of the companies directly about the issue. The only thing they could tell me was "No one else has had any issues with our part. The engineering department says it matches the factory piece. Have a nice day." I even sent them pictures of the difference!
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

I got one from LMR ~5 yrs ago and it was a perfect fit.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I have two of these that I am not using. One has a Ford logo on it, one doesn't. The one with the Ford log is light, like aluminum, the other is heavy, like steel. Both are in great shape and powder coated. If you think one will work, you can have it just for shipping.

Name:  20170928_221902_resized.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  20170928_221931_resized.jpg
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  20170928_221949_resized.jpg
Size:  106.7 KB
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).