Close

Default I need some info from AZ members

I wanted to move down around the outskirts of Phoenix next summer but I need some info first. How are the emissions set up down there and mods to the car? I did some surfing on the Web but the info I got was confusing as hell.....
    -Kal
    "One man can make a difference." -Wilton Knight
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

Anyone?
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

FEP Power Member

I haven't lived there, thinking about moving to Bullhead. Here's what I found online.

Phoenix

If you operate a vehicle in Phoenix, you must abide by the following emissions control guidelines:
    •Vehicles requiring emission testing every 2 years in Phoenix include: •Model year 1981 and newer vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 8,500 lbs. •This does not include diesel vehicles.

•Phoenix vehicles requiring emission testing every year include: •Vehicles manufactured between 1967 and 1980.
    •All vehicles with a GVWR greater than 8500 lbs.
    •Any vehicles that use diesel fuel.
    http://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/smog-check.php

AS for the test, looks like parts of it are similar to CA. They'll put it on a dyno with a sensor up the tailpipe and measure emissions at several speeds that they'd expect you to drive round town. 96 or later and they'll check OBD. The good news for you, the visual inspection appears to be aimed at making sure you don't remove things. They're looking for the cats, evap, air pump, crank case ventilation, and test to make sure your gas cap seals. Unlike here, they don't appear to be looking for additions like power adders.

http://www.myazcar.com/why-and-how-we-test

The first link had this number for questions. Phoenix: (602) 771-3950

I just got back from there a few weeks ago and I really liked it. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I've read some things about classic plates or something and how they don't have to run through emissions but haven't seen much documentation to back it if it's still valid. I also read some stuff about exempt zones and partially exempt zones and im still looking into it. I'm gonna be hosed if they look under the hood. There's going to be no functional air pump and stuff unless it's just "there".
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

FEP Power Member

The part that confuses me is the talk about commuters. The links say something about if you don't live in the smog test area, but commute into it, they'll make you smog check the car. How can they keep track of that? If you live outside Phoenix but work inside the city do they smog check all of your cars? Do they ask which one you primarily drive to work and then test that one?

Have you tried calling the number. Maybe you can get away with a cheap econobox POS to commute with and live where they won't test your mustang.

If you live in or commute to the Phoenix metro area, yes you will need to have the vehicle inspected. If it's your weekend cruiser AND you have collector car insurance on it, you do not need to have it tested. This is due to the mileage restriction of having collector insurance in the first place. My 85 and 93 did/do not go through emissions testing. Reply for additional questions/clarification.

Dadbox is right. I called the number today and it did take a while to reach someone but when I did she was really helpful. Way more helpful than their deq people. I don't understand how they keep track either but if you live in a partial exempt area you need to have a primary vehicle to take into pheonix for work and school for the stang to be exempt. Luckily the stang is going to be a weekend car for me (when it's done) otherwise I might be out of luck. The gal at the dmv suggested calling Hagerty for collectors car insurance so I can get exempt status anywhere so that's my next call tomorrow. I told ya it was confusing as hell.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Oh, and as near as I can figure the partially exempt zip codes are way out in the middle of nowhere. Go figure...
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

American collectors is another company to call for a quote.

One nice thing about living in utah...

We have California like emissions, actually strickter for older cars. A 1967 mustang has to pass the same emissions as every other pre obd2 car. Luckily i now live outside the three emissions county's and couldn't be happier.

Starting next year, they are also ending saftey inspections, so i just go and pick up a plate and throw it on the car.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I'll have to look into that, thanks man.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    One nice thing about living in utah...

We have California like emissions, actually strickter for older cars. A 1967 mustang has to pass the same emissions as every other pre obd2 car. Luckily i now live outside the three emissions county's and couldn't be happier.

Starting next year, they are also ending saftey inspections, so i just go and pick up a plate and throw it on the car.
    You are so lucky, wish I could do that. The only areas in AZ I think needs emissions is Pheonix and the surrounding areas and Tucson but I have to be around Pheonix cause my wife wants to be closer to her sister....
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Theres always southern utah...
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow 1 View Post
    Oh, and as near as I can figure the partially exempt zip codes are way out in the middle of nowhere. Go figure...
    I am sorry that I am unable to help you with information on Az. vehicle inspections.
    We live in an area of Arizona where inspections are not required. I guess that is qualifies us as living "out in the middle of nowhere" according to some.......We wouldn't have it any other way!
    At least we don't suffer the tremendous heat, traffic, and dust storms like in the inspection areas.
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 09-06-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Theres always southern utah...
    I appreciate the thought but I'll have to pass. The wife has her heart set on AZ, lol.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I am sorry that I am unable to help you with information on Az. vehicle inspections.
    We live in an area of Arizona where inspections are not required. I guess that is qualifies us as living "out in the middle of nowhere" according to some.......We wouldn't have it any other way!
    At least we don't suffer the tremendous heat, traffic, and dust storms like in the inspection areas.
    Ron
    There is nothing wrong with living in the middle of nowhere, given the choice I would live there too, but things being what they are I don't think I have much of a choice at the moment. First stop is around Phoenix, after scouting around the state we'll see where to settle down at. I never got to see everything I wanted to see when I was down there.

I made a call to hagerty. It looks like it won't be a problem getting the right insurance through them. That is a huge weight off my mind, plus the wife will be happier.
    Last edited by Shadow 1; 09-06-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Hey Shadow I thought I might ad one thing to this conversation.
    Many people live as much as 90 miles outside of Phx. and commute to work about as fast as others who live on one side of town and commute to the other side.
    So.....you might just have the opportunity to live in the middle of no-where and still commute to town.
    LOL
    Ron

That's not a bad idea actually. What we're shooting for is Surprise at first. From the pics I've seen I wouldn't mind Winslow but the last thing I want to deal with is snow and the cold. I get enough of that crap here.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Well, Winslow is a three hour drive to Phx........not exactly a reasonable commute.
    Have you looked to the north of Phx, like in Black Canyon City, which is in Yavapai county where there are no auto inspections. Or maybe even Cordes Lakes in the foothills of the Bradshaw Mtns. where one might see a freak snowfall, but very rare and cooler than in the valley in the summer, especially after sundown.

Yea, Winslow wouldn't be the ideal commuter location, though it would be a good live in the boonies cause property is wide open and cheap location. And no, I haven't checked out those locations nor heard of them, but I will, thanks! Sounds like it's promising. When I was down there I couldn't believe it was 100 degrees at around midnight.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH