Close

Default Wiring upgrade/tuck questions

I realized I started posting these in the show n tell thread. So I am starting a new thread for my wiring questions. Background: 1985 Mustang that already had a 3g conversion when I bought it.

My first question is when I started unwinding loom and looking at my wiring, I noticed that the only thing attached to the solenoid, other than the starter and battery is the green fusible link 14 gauge. SO, that would seem to me that EVERYTHING in the car is fed from that...which doesn't seem possible, but I guess an 85 with carb and only power windows and rear defrost doesn't draw much, or they only expected electrical stuff to be used when the car is running and the electrical is supplied by the alt.

My plan is to add an SN95 underhood fuse distribution block and run all the circuits currently on fusible links to the appropriate fuse in the fuse center. I also want to get rid of the TSAD and associated wiring.

I took some pictures of my confusion and have one item I am trying to identify.
    What's this? Looks like some kind of diode? Noise suppressor?

Name:  2.png
Views: 171
Size:  387.5 KB

Here's the green wire on the bottom post of the solenoid.

Name:  1.png
Size:  341.5 KB

Here's the alt battery wire black with orange stripe spliced to the black/brown wire. There's no regulator on the car at all, so it was all removed and rewired when the 3g was installed.

Name:  3..png
Size:  347.6 KB

The green fusible link goes and gets spliced to a small (18-20ga) red wire and a larger yellow wire that runs back down and there are many more splices tying them all together.

Name:  4.png
Size:  320.5 KB

Here are these other splices...this is the harness running down the strut tower near the battery.

Name:  5.png
Views: 170
Size:  347.3 KB

If anyone can help decipher, I would appreciate it!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Ok, let's try again. I unwound a crap ton of old wire loom and started pulling the tsad wiring out. I cleaned this thing up and am trying to figure out what it is. I have an EVTM and the wiring diagrams I printed off eons ago from here. I looks like it's either a diode or resistor. The markings on it make me think resistor. It's tied between black connector with 2 wires that runs to the small post on on the solenoid...obviously the other wire in that terminal runs to the ignition switch. It's a red wire with a blue stripe just like the one running back to the key. I know there's a diode over on the A/C clutch harness...I got that one. I thought maybe it is for the light out center, but from what I read in the EVTM those are special resistance wires. So I am at a loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Droopie,

Not sure if you found an answer to your question yet, but looking through my EVTM I believe this is the resistor you're asking about.

I have the same resistor on my '85.

Funny thing is it shows on the start/ignition diagrams for the CFI models (pgs 98-101). It doesn't show up on the diagram for the 8cyl HO (pg 14).

Hope this helps.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Thanks Thomas! That makes sense....I'll have to check out the cfi pages! But it is tied to the starter circuit....so it makes sense. I'm doing a lot more today so I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok. I am either closer to a beautiful finale....or someone getting this junk really cheap. I pulled the dash and disconnected all the connectors on the pork chop brace and pulled the entire harness out. I unpinned everything tsad and all the old ignition and emissions connectors and associated wiring. Now I gotta get the harness back in and the dash back on.....I hope this goes ok.

Name:  4.png
Views: 140
Size:  407.2 KBName:  3.png
Views: 141
Size:  418.4 KBName:  2.png
Views: 142
Size:  420.4 KBName:  1.png
Views: 141
Size:  407.7 KB

You're a lot braver than I. You'll get there.

I planned to strip all that stuff out of my harnesses, but after surveying the condition of my under-hood wiring and connectors I'm thinking a complete rewire is in my future. Start with a clean slate.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Senior Member

"battery is the green fusible link 14 gauge. SO, that would seem to me that EVERYTHING in the car is fed from that...which doesn't seem possible" when the car is turned on with the engine not running , all power is fed through that lead. once the car starts that lead charges the battery. which is just one of several reasons when a 3g conversion has been done you need fuses to protect the electrical circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    You're a lot braver than I. You'll get there.

I planned to strip all that stuff out of my harnesses, but after surveying the condition of my under-hood wiring and connectors I'm thinking a complete rewire is in my future. Start with a clean slate.

Only the wiring that's not in tape or a loom seems to be in bad shape. Most of the other looks and feels like new. Except it's hard to tell WHITE wires from TAN wires. I probably will cannibalize some of the TSAD harness for other wiring I am going to add. It's in great shape. Now I have to figure out how to power up the A/C after removing all that junk!

Quote Originally Posted by bob85gt View Post
    "battery is the green fusible link 14 gauge. SO, that would seem to me that EVERYTHING in the car is fed from that...which doesn't seem possible" when the car is turned on with the engine not running , all power is fed through that lead. once the car starts that lead charges the battery. which is just one of several reasons when a 3g conversion has been done you need fuses to protect the electrical circuits.
    Thanks for the reply, Bob! I am planning on adding a 4g lead from the alt to the solenoid that is fused and then remove the fusible links and move them to the SN95 fuse box/relay center I am adding. This is far from done. Today I would like to get the dash back in. It's unnerving to see that fragile as glass thing sitting on the seats halfway. It's already cracked in 2 places.
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 09-04-2017 at 08:49 AM.