Close

Default 'Vert Floors/Structure: Restore vs. Reinforcement/Long-term Preservation

Gents, I've found myself with a bit of a dilemma with how to proceed with repairing my floors. The floor has some surface rust and a few stress cracks so I'm hatching a plan of attack. I'd like to fix my floors without negatively affecting the value/appeal of my car. I know we will all have differing opinions but I would like to hear your take.

The car: 74k mile '85 'vert with one respray. No previous damage or repairs. Right now the car is just a fun cruiser but it may see the occasional drag-strip or track day next year (pending some necessary upgrades).

My goal: Stop/prevent further rust. Prevent further cracking.

My options as I see it:

1. Restore the floor: knock all of the rust and all of the original primer/paint -> weld up cracks -> apply factory style grey primer and overspray
    2. Restomod/Reinforce the floor: strip underside of floor -> weld up cracks, add full length SFC's and torque box plates -> paint either body color, POR 15 gray (or equivalent)

Personally when I'm looking at a car undercoating is usually a turn-off because it can hide damage quite easily. While I don't foresee applying a rubberized coating, would POR 15 or non-factory style painted underside be a deterrent for a future owner? Would SFC's and torque box reinforcements be a negative?

The reason I ask about the SFC's and torque boxes is because the 'vert structure will inevitably flex/crack in the future. I guess what I'm really asking is:
    Should I keep the unibody "original" and risk future cracks or reinforce it with the goal of keeping the unibody straight and rust-free?

Pic of the car in question:

Name:  IMG_20170601_194637.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  108.7 KB

Example of crack in floor pan under rear seat / at end of tunnel

Name:  IMG_20170810_191502.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  105.7 KB

Build thread to soon follow as I'll finally start working on it... a year after buying it,

FEP Super Member

If you have no holes , just rust scale , use a rust converter , and repaint the floors as original .
    Sfc 's will prevent the floors from cracking again , and i would highly recomend them .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

My opinion, do whatever is best for the car for how you plan to use it. Hurting the value/appeal of the car should be no concern....its not a low mile concours car, already been repainted and you mentioned some future drag & track days. So I would make whatever repairs you need and focus on your future use plans....that means sub frames and possibly torque boxes. Are they a negative? Not really...unless you think you can sell it as a $15-20k concours show car down the road. Those mods would actually be a good thing for a fair priced cruiser, somebody that wants a car that is built the way they really "should" have been built back then.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 09-01-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    If you have no holes , just rust scale , use a rust converter , and repaint the floors as original .
    Sfc 's will prevent the floors from cracking again , and i would highly recomend them .
    I think I will look into Eastwood's rust converter (and similar brands). I'll tackle the floors, SFC's, and torque box reinforcements at the same time over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    My opinion, do whatever is best for the car for how you plan to use it. Hurting the value/appeal of the car should be no concern....its not a low mile concours car, already been repainted and you mentioned some future drag & track days. So I would make whatever repairs you need and focus on your future use plans....that means sub frames and possibly torque boxes. Are they a negative? Not really...unless you think you can sell it as a $15-20k concours show car down the road. Those mods would actually be a good thing for a fair priced cruiser, somebody that wants a car that is built the way they really "should" have been built back then.
    That's my take as well. I have no delusions about my car, just didn't want to do anything permanent that would I kick myself later for. I'm comfortable with doing the SFC's and torque box reinforcements.

Thanks for your opinions and for the solid advice.