Close

Default Insulation Behind Rear Seat

So, the insulation behind my rear seatback is a totally crumbed mess. I'd really like to put something different there that's easier to manage. I would just add a piece of thin pressboard with some hushmat and just call it good, but I have subs in the trunk, and i don't want them muffled. So, I'd need something that would insulate for temperature, but not sound. Something that will help keep the heat out in the summer, since this car won't be used in the winter. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The item below does a good job at thermal insulation, but does very little for acoustic insulation.
    It's moisture and temperature resistant.
    It's great for basements, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix...6025/100012574
    Model # ST16025
    Internet #100012574
    Store SKU #884250

Reflectix
    16 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab
    Staple tab designed for 16 inch framing
    Multiuse/multipurpose insulation
    16 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab
    $16.25 /roll

Thanks, yeah I've been looking at that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Mine is just double wall cardboard wrapped completely with a tarp and glued together with headliner glue.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

That's cool. I went ahead and ordered the Reflectix. It's on everyone's website (Home Depot, etc) but no one carries it in their stores.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    That's cool. I went ahead and ordered the Reflectix. It's on everyone's website (Home Depot, etc) but no one carries it in their stores.
    I can say for a fact, that Home Depot carries it, all year long, in a number of NH, Mass, and Conn stores. Yea, I get around New England. :-)

Heck, if you search for "Boston, MA" as your local store, pick any store, then do a "check nearby stock", you'd see that all the stores around Boston have it in stock.

I checked the Home Depot stores near Saint Paul MN. The stores near St Paul have it in stock. The stores further away don't.

Btw, it looks like MN by itself is close to the size of New England. :-O
    Note for people, NY is not part of New England.

MN:

New England!

Fwiw, I use that stuff in my basement against the rim joists - above where the wood sill sits on the concrete foundation. That way, I can easily check if the house settling, mice, ants, whatever, have caused any gaps/holes in the wood. Yea, spray foam does a better job at insulating that area. But, if ants, mice, bees, whatever make a passage way through the foam, then light likely won't show through. I search for daylight to see if anything has caused a gap or hole.

Rub it in, why don't you? None of the stores near me had it. I went onto Home Depot's website while at the store, thinking they'd surely done something about the fact that their stores are cell signal dead zones (they haven't). With that slow signal which apparently guessed WAY wrong where I was, it went from telling me there were SEVEN available in stock to "not available in stores". And yes, that's a direct quote from their mobile site. I ordered it from all brick and mortar stores' most hated rival Amazon as a big middle finger to them.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    With that slow signal which apparently guessed WAY wrong where I was, it went from telling me there were SEVEN available in stock to "not available in stores". And yes, that's a direct quote from their mobile site. I ordered it from all brick and mortar stores' most hated rival Amazon as a big middle finger to them.
    Wow.
    I'm glad that you were able to order it from Amazon!

When I checked the Home Depot web site, for a MN store that didn't have it in stock, the web page did show the "ship to store" option.

BUT, as you said, from my own personal experience, even for simple BS stuff like the insulation (light, small, easy to send by UPS/whatever), when I have then tried to order and do a ship to store, I then get the "Sorry - Not available to your Zip Code".
    WTF!

Btw, I love Amazon!
    Now, even more.
    Since Amazon bought Whole Foods, I finally have an option to ship stuff (non big, non heavy stuff - like a radar detector) to a local Whole Foods Amazon locker! Instead of having some small box with an expensive item sit outside my house.
    This is more important near Christmas. Since, scum will now follow UPS trucks, then after the trucks leave and no one is around, steal items left by UPS.
    Ah yes, life in a large city. :-|

Yeah, that's lame. I like Amazon okay, but normally prefer places I can walk out with my item. Amazon pissed me off recently where I had ordered something and then picked the cheapest shipping option without joining Prime. They had recently built a "fulfillment center" right here in my suburb. Well instead of shipping it right away like a Summit or LMR would, they decided to sit on it for over a week before they shipped it because it was so close to me. As if they're trying to take every last day of their shipping estimate before I got it to the people to pony up for the more expensive shipping options.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here it is, in all its glory.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST