Close

Default Rear bumper support fit all years?

Does anyone know if the bumper support from the aero cars is the same as the 4 eyes? I'm talking about that thin piece of metal with the studs that is inside the bumper.

thanks
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I ask because all the ones I see for 87-93 seem to be missing one stud on the outer ends. Even the one LMR sells for 79-93 is missing them. See below

BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I just went out and checked some of my old Aero parts and you are correct. Ford removed the studs at the outer end near the angle. The funny thing is the slot is still in the rear bumper cover, but there is no stud in the support and there is no hole in the rear body of the car.

My guess would be this was a cost savings issue for Ford. Seems silly, but save 0.05 per stud, save, 0.10 per hole punched, that's 0.30 per car and when you make 100,000 of them you just saved $30K very easily. Of course I have no idea if those numbers are accurate, or even the reason, but I know things like this are done for exactly that reason.

So long story short is YES, the support bracket is interchangeable and you can also punch another hole in the support and add the stud back on if you desire. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I just went out and checked some of my old Aero parts and you are correct. Ford removed the studs at the outer end near the angle. The funny thing is the slot is still in the rear bumper cover, but there is no stud in the support and there is no hole in the rear body of the car.

My guess would be this was a cost savings issue for Ford. Seems silly, but save 0.05 per stud, save, 0.10 per hole punched, that's 0.30 per car and when you make 100,000 of them you just saved $30K very easily. Of course I have no idea if those numbers are accurate, or even the reason, but I know things like this are done for exactly that reason.

So long story short is YES, the support bracket is interchangeable and you can also punch another hole in the support and add the stud back on if you desire. Good luck!
    Thats what I kind of figured. The accountants strike again!

I want it to be as tight as possible, so I guess I'll buy the new one and drill a hole for a screw. I just have to figure out a way to keep it from turning while attaching the bumper.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

If you buy a carriage bolt, drill the hole just large enough for the bolt to slide thru. Then use a nut and tighten the bolt down until the carriage bolt compresses into the support and that should lock it into place. You can use a large push nut to slide over the carriage bolt to help hold it into place while installing it.

The another option is to tack weld a bolt in place if you have a welder. The possibly simpler option is to use a J nut on the support and bolt thru the rear tail light panel into the support rather than the opposite OEM way. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you buy a carriage bolt, drill the hole just large enough for the bolt to slide thru. Then use a nut and tighten the bolt down until the carriage bolt compresses into the support and that should lock it into place. You can use a large push nut to slide over the carriage bolt to help hold it into place while installing it.

The another option is to tack weld a bolt in place if you have a welder. The possibly simpler option is to use a J nut on the support and bolt thru the rear tail light panel into the support rather than the opposite OEM way. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the ideas! I was just going to gorilla glue a screw in there and hope for the best.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air