Close

Thread: Stuck Window

Default Stuck Window

Hi All,

I can't search to see if this has been covered before. Database error and all. So, here is a repair I did this weekend that went easier than I thought it would.

85 Capri GS, power windows. Driving home from a local show, my driver side window went down and would not go back up. Fortunately the rain that was threatening held off until I got back to the garage.

Handle off, rear view mirror off, door card off, vapor barrier off. Since the window was down, room inside the door was limited, and not being sure of what else needed to be out of the way, I unbolted the window center track and took off the dew wipe.

At that point I disconnected the motor plug and tried putting 12 volts to the prongs. No attempt to move in either direction. I did not see any good way to get the whole rig out of the door but I saw 3 screws that looked like they were holding the motor to the regulator.

I took the screws out (5/16 hex) and the motor about dropped to the bottom of the door. Ahhhhh. I was able to lift the window and block it up and then pull the motor out.

Name:  WINDOW_MOTOR.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  53.0 KB

Notice the locknut and set screw at the top of the motor. The setscrew pushes on the top of the wormgear that is on the motor shaft.

Tried applying 12 volts to it and no success. I loosened the nut and screw, which were tight, and also took the body of the motor apart. Everything inside looked ok. Brushes were connected, no scorching of the commutator. Put it back together and put the setscrew and nut back where they were. 12 volts, still no success. So, I loosened the screw and applied 12 volts and woo hoo! Full motor function. Put the screw back but barely touching. Reassembled everything making sure it all worked as I went along. Fully functioning window now.

Why a setscrew like that would cause trouble after 32 years is beyond me.

You may be able to loosen the locknut with a gooseneck 5/8" box wrench. It is tight in there and not much room to turn. A socket fits on the nut but then there is no way to hold the setscrew. The motor comes out easy enough.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Bet it quits working again. Next time the rain may not hold off.
    After all the work to get the old motor out I would have spent the money and put a new motor back in.

This is my standard fix for ALL my Fox window motors.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-WLG43/79-93...dow-Motor-Gear

In over 30 years of playing with Foxbodies I have never messed with the set screw for the worm gear. Never had the need. Bottom line is you will have the same issue happen again since the root cause is the rubber gear bushings in the motor have deteriorated to the point that they jam up the motor. Go ahead and buy yourself a pair of these to have on hand when the motor does it again. It may not be tomorrow, next week, or even next month, but IT WILL happen again. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The drivers window on my Saleen was stuck down three different times last week. I put all new bushings in my window motors 6 years ago so I was sure that was not the problem this time. The regulator seems to be locking up when down all the way. A tap with a hammer on the regulator near the motor does the trick and free's the window so it will go up. Third time it stuck I added some rubber to the stopper via a piece of heater hose and a tie wrap. I figured the extra thickness would keep the window up an 1/8" or so keeping the regulator from locking. So far so good. Been 3-4 days with no problems.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

To your point about the regulator, you can have an issue if the lower stops are missing or deteriorate where the window will actually drop too low and the regulator has issues trying to raise the window back up. Always a good thing to check all the bits and pieces when working on the windows on a Fox.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

Default Kit

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    This is my standard fix for ALL my Fox window motors.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-WLG43/79-93...dow-Motor-Gear

In over 30 years of playing with Foxbodies I have never messed with the set screw for the worm gear. Never had the need. Bottom line is you will have the same issue happen again since the root cause is the rubber gear bushings in the motor have deteriorated to the point that they jam up the motor. Go ahead and buy yourself a pair of these to have on hand when the motor does it again. It may not be tomorrow, next week, or even next month, but IT WILL happen again. Good Luck!

I have used a similar kit from Napa. Fits most Fords.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles