Close

Default Intake manifold replacement

Replaced intake on 82 gt Weiand stealth. Car is over heating ? Thermostat is in right . air lock? .i didnt jack the front up on refill.i know these cars air lock easy. Suggestions? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 82g View Post
    Replaced intake on 82 gt Weiand stealth. Car is over heating ? Thermostat is in right . air lock? .i didnt jack the front up on refill.i know these cars air lock easy. Suggestions? Thanks
    could be a number of things
    trapped air in system- get a Lisle funnel and burp the system
    thermostat in backwards or stuck closed- is the upper hose hot and the lower hose cold. did you test the thermostat and which way was teh spring pointing on install
    intake gaskets on improper or slipped- did you match up the gasket on the heads and intake to make sure it aligned, and did you use some spray tack on it so it didnt slip, Did you use cork end gaskets or RTV.
    1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

Factory temperature gauge and sending unit? Teflon tape on sending unit's threads into intake manifold?...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Did you by chance replace the thermostat with a new one? I went to a failsafe and they are JUNK! Never so inconsistent on temps as now.

Air lock !00%. Jack that thing up as high as you can on the k member and let it run with the rad cap off until the thermostat opens and sucks the coolant in the radiator down, then fill the radiator right up and put the cap on.

Cale

Lifted front end for a while .problem solved! Thanks

The Lisle 26480 funnel mentioned by mikestang63 has become one of my favorite tools. Comes with
    a variety of adapters for just about any situation, and almost completely eliminates any mess. Once
    you've used it, you'll never want to be without one. It completely eliminated air lock concerns, even
    on the Marauder's cooling system.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune