Close

Default Convertible doors on t-top car

Hello all, I've got an 85 ttop with a door that needs some attention. Driver door is starting to rot after what I'm guessing was poor prep work before paint. I understand convertible and ttop doors are similar if not the same. Has anyone substituted a later model convertible door on a ttop with little modification? I can see other benefits to the newer doors, ie door speakers, window moldings that are not compatible with the 85-86 style doors.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

The vert doors won't work they a little shorter in height. My buddy took hardtop doors and cut the window frame off and installed his ttop door glass in them. It's the same way they were done originally.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

The vert doors work just fine. The issue is the door glass.

Door glass is specific to T-tops and is not interchangeable with solid roof cars or convertibles.

Convertible doors and T-top doors are the same for the Four eyes. You can swap the shell over from a convertible, but you will need to swap the internals and your door glass from your original T-top door for it to work properly.

The 88-93 Convertible doors are not a straight swap due to those models using the full length door glass and removal of the door mirror on the door frame. You would have to fabricate and install metal for the missing mirror mount and also the front track guide for the door glass.

Bottom line is that unless you want to have to make more modifications and fabrication using a 1981-86 T-top or 83-86 convertible door is the easier option. Although you can also use a standard hard top door and cut the window frame off and use that too. I did that to replace a bad door on my 82 GT T-top. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller