Close

Default Koni strut insert replacement

Does Gabriel still list the replacement inserts for the front Koni's or is that a long gone thing?

Looking on Gabriel's website the answer would appear to be NO.

They don't show any listing for the front strut for the SVO. The rear shocks for the SVO show to be discontinued. Now there may still be cartridges as NOS sitting in a warehouse or on someone's shelf. You might consider giving them a call or any Gabriel dealer to try and get the cartridge part number to try and find some. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I've never looked or asked before, but what is the difference between the svo struts and normal fox body struts? Is it the length, or the way they moun??

FEP Senior Member

I have a set still in the box and a set of SVO struts redone, repainted and ready to bolt in. PM me if interested. Mike
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I've never looked or asked before, but what is the difference between the svo struts and normal fox body struts? Is it the length, or the way they moun??
    The mount for the spindle is in a different location on the SVO strut due to the SVO using a different spindle and lower control arm than the standard Fox body cars. And besides they were Koni's rather than Ford Motorcraft struts.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Part number is G44947. There are two available on ebay now. Probably getting hard to find, I got a pair a few years ago.

I'm in the process of replacing the struts on my 84 SVO and have new Koni's but may just install the Gabriel cartridges for now.

There was a write up somewhere on the process to install the cartridges, I need to see if I can find it. Instructions say to add 30cc of oil but don't specify what kind of oil?

Thanks Rodster. I got a pair from mikes86svo's seemingly endless stash of parts. Will put them on after I get back from Foxtoberfest.
    I think in the instructions it says what type of oil to use. I just have to figure out how to measure 30cc of it.

Yea Mikes86svo must have a warehouse full of goodies, he's help me out a couple of times too. I should have been wiser and collected some stuff years ago too.

Good luck on the install, I'll be doing mine today. My instructions don't say what kind of oil but I read any oil should do since it's just for heat transfer. Someone said 1/4 cup but 30cc = 1oz. That seems to be too little, I'll have to see what comes out when I take my original Koni's apart.

from years of installing cartridges. We used trans fluid or motor oil which ever was handy. We would pour some in and then dip the new cartridge in and pull out using it as a dip stick. Looking for 1/2 to 3/4 up the new cartridge was good. Any more we would wipe the cartage and dip again. if over full would spill out the top as cartridge was installed.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    from years of installing cartridges. We used trans fluid or motor oil which ever was handy. We would pour some in and then dip the new cartridge in and pull out using it as a dip stick. Looking for 1/2 to 3/4 up the new cartridge was good. Any more we would wipe the cartage and dip again. if over full would spill out the top as cartridge was installed.
    Great info, thanks! I planned on using motor oil and was going to try to get it about 3/4 full with the cartridge in so I was on the right track.

Did you install cartridges as part of your job? Back in the day, were cartridges made as a cost effective solution to new struts?

I notice the SVO Koni strut has a spacer on the top, doesn't look like it's needed with the new cartridge, instructions are very vague.

My first New car and still own 1986 Capri <<<< That's cool!!