Close

Default 1983 Mustang 5.0 Catalytic Converter Tube ( pipe)

Name:  IMG_2159.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  39.9 KBIn the process of taking 34 years of bolts off the converter. This tube that runs into the catalytic converter , does it pull out or do I have to disconnect from the top in the engine compartment. I have the uclamp loose, but no budging it out. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kirby; 08-23-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Wha year is the car and which engine? I had to hacksaw mine, had a million holes on it all the way up. It connects to the rubber hoses on the passenger side smog pump stuff on the 302 in all my cars.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

1983 5.0 litre, the pipe is in perfect condition and yes you are correct it goes all the way up. I don't want to mess it up , so maybe I will have to disconnect at top and figure it out..
    Last edited by kirby; 08-23-2017 at 10:44 PM.

On my '83 GT, the pipe from the smog junk is welded to the cat. At the other end, it looks like the pipe is just press fit onto the check valve (maybe crimped).

It's an enormous pain to remove but technically if the 34 years of heat cycles haven't welded it to the convertor, it will pull off. They were really tight when new and hard to remove even back then. It will likely have to be hack-sawed off.
    If you are not trying to win a show, NAPA or anyone should sell heat resistant rubber hose that will survive for years, trust me I know, that you can splice it back together with and work fine.

You can get the H pipe assembly on 86+ cars off without separating this. My car had the cat recall completed in 93 so my H didn't have the joint. It's a bear but it will come off if the car is high enough and you twist it just right.

Thanks for all the advice!

Default Replacement cat for 1983 GLX 5.0

Is this a direct fit in regards to length, circumference ,etc?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The one above looks about right, just ensure that you confirm year and application. Why are you replacing your cat?

Regarding getting the air tube loose, it can be a pain, as others have pointed out. When I removed these parts on my 84, I disconnected the air tube up in the engine compartment and loosened the clamp at the cat. Then unbolt the cat from the exhaust pipes. Now you should be able to twist/wiggle the air tube relative to the cat and get it loose. Just be patient and you may get it off without having to cut it. If the tube will not budge, apply some heat with a torch. It usually helps to first soak all of the fasteners with WD40, PB Blaster, or some other penetrant overnight. Jack up the car and safely support it on jack stands or ramps to provide some working room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Thanks, after careful examination and diagnosis the cat is still good..