Close

Default Clutch Quadrant Installation Question

I went to install my clutch quadrant tonight, and LMR didn't give anything in terms of installation instructions, and no extra parts other than the quadrant. It looks like there should be spacers on each side of the quadrant, but none came with it. I know that all of the force is in-line versus side load, but just wanted to check with people here and see if anyone has any pointers, or can say leave it and install the clips and call it good.

Thanks

Name:  quadrantinstall.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  104.1 KB

Pin it and go
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

The MM kit includes washers/shims with the quadrant.

Here is the install instructions for the MM unit. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/as...h/MMCL-6r2.pdf
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Install either White Nylon washers or metal washers to properly space it out and to keep it tight against the pin (one or more washers underneath the pin). This will prevent side deflection and cable binding. Do not space it out too far or the quadrant will not fit into the groove of the stop bracket and as a result, you will not get that "free play" in the cable. On the left hand side of your picture you'll see that bracket (look at the "cutout" in that bracket on the bottom edge). Rotate the quadrant back and forth in both directions via the clutch pedal movement to see which area it should make contact into that "cutout" in that bracket and space accordingly. Good luck!
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 08-23-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I just pulled this out of my car today. I'm not sure what brand it is but this is exactly where the shims/washers were
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wow glad I just found this. My quadrant just broke and I ordered the LMR one.

Question: do you have to do anything to secure the cable in the top of the quadrant or will it just stay there on it's own. It looks like it could slip out on its own if the pedal is bumped and lifted by accident.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

The instructions posted by wraithracing show the use of a key and heatshrink tubing if there is excess length where it fits into the quadrant. Though that looks really to just be a spacer.
    Last edited by swearint; 08-24-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    1985 GT owned since new

The pressure the clutch fork puts on the cable should hold it in place with nothing else needed, at least on the 20+ I've installed it has..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I've installed quite a few also and always run washers.
    82 ford fairmont futura
    quicktime turbosystems 70mm turbo
    10.67@128.38

Just an easy approach to a cable shim. On the bellhousing end the inside part of an old pilot bearing works great.

Been a while but got the metal quadrant. Just had a question. Does the metal cable on the metal quadrant cause wear on the cable? Considering the factory quadrant is plastic.

It shouldn't wear on the cable because the cable is steel and the quadrant is aluminum.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

K thanks

Ok I'm in the middle of doing this job. I need like 1/4" more length on the cable to slip it onto the quadrant.

In the multiple install videos online, they are installing an aftermarket cable, but they always take the retaining end off the cable before slipping through the firewall adjuster. Does the OEM cable come apart like that? I don't see a clip or anything to release the two pieces like the aftermarket cables.

Edit: ok, I just pried the rubber piece with the metal flange off the plastic end of the cable, but it still doesn't fit through the firewall adjuster. Do I have to grind off the 4 little plastic tabs on the end to slip it through or is it not supposed to go all the way through?
    Last edited by 85stanggt; 10-20-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Yes, on a stock cable (which I recommend), you remove the rubber piece and grind the four little tabs down, then it will slip into the adjuster.

Make sure to hook the cable to the quadrant first, and then the clutch fork, much easier.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

This doesn't look like it is going to have a problem getting onto the 2nd hook of the quadrant once I get it through the firewall adjuster without removing the cable down at the fork.
    Last edited by 85stanggt; 10-21-2017 at 02:01 AM.

Ok all done. Thanks for the help.

For future reference for those that get the LMR quadrant, you can buy nylon bushings at Lowes to shim the quadrant to the factory position. They have a 2 pack of a thick one that is the perfect size for the inside shim of both posts and then they have some large flat washers that work great to shim the front-most post to make it snug with the metal clip. No slop and no metal washers to rattle around.