Close

Default 10'' drum brake backing plates

Hey everyone,

hope y'all are having an nice day. So as I posted in the introduce yourself section, I have a 1980 Zephyr and I wanted to upgrade the brakes since I live in the mountains. So I got myself a set of 10'' Centric drums from rockauto with all new cylinders, and shoes and all the nice stuff, but I can't put my hands on backing plates. The only ones I could find are for 8'' or 9'' Ford rear ends and I have a 7.5 original rear end.

I happen to know that we can find those 10'' drums on police/taxi cars and on Fairmont/Zephyr wagons, I tried a couple different sites but can't find any original backing plates for sale...

So my question is, does anyone know where to find (or have) a set of original backing plates for 10'' drums ? And if not, are those 8'' or 9'' rear end backing plates adaptables to a 7.5'' ? The other problem with those is that they come in a complete kit with shoes, adjusting springs, cylinders etc etc and they cost about 400$ a pair. Since I already have everything but the backing plates I don't really wanna buy a complete kit again, plus 400 bucks is quite a lot...

Thank you for reading, and if my post is not in the right place don't hesitate to move it !

Thanks again

Daniel
    Last edited by Danny; 08-21-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Don't Rangers or Aerostars have 10x2.5 rear brakes? I might have a set at home, I will look tonight. Maybe I can find some numbers on them.
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

If you're not in too much of a rush I'll be swapping my ltd to an 8.8 so I should have a set I could give/sell to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

@Mike, I've no idea, we don't have many aerostars and rangers here in Switzerland sadly. It would be awesome if you could get me the numbers

@wdanison, well I'm in a rush, I took one of the drums off and the shoes are SHOT (I'm ashamed to drive it like that, but out of four cars it's the only one with tags on it...) but even if I get other backing plates in between, I'm still interested in yours, if you're willing to sell them to me and to ship them (I'll pay for it of course).

Thank you guys for your quick answers I really appreciate

My Ford Parts Cat for 1979 shows:

Plate (Rear Brake Backing) 10" x 1 3/4": (RH) E3DZ 2211-A, (LH) E3DZ-2212-A

1980 should be the same.

Mike

Wow thanks Mike that's awesome ! I'll try and check that tomorrow (it's 10.30 pm here)

Thanks a lot, I'll keep you guys up

Daniel

I believe I have a pair of NOS backing plates. I'll find them and post some pics. Shipping would probably be a bit but l can check.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Tbirds and cougars had them with the tow package as well as all 83-86 turbo coupes and xr7's as well as the 87-88 xr7's.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I did not realize you were in Switzerland in my first reply. I could not find the 2.5 brake assemblies I thought I had, Sorry!
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    @Mike, I've no idea, we don't have many aerostars and rangers here in Switzerland sadly. It would be awesome if you could get me the numbers

@wdanison, well I'm in a rush, I took one of the drums off and the shoes are SHOT (I'm ashamed to drive it like that, but out of four cars it's the only one with tags on it...) but even if I get other backing plates in between, I'm still interested in yours, if you're willing to sell them to me and to ship them (I'll pay for it of course).

Thank you guys for your quick answers I really appreciate
    Oh yeah you can have them if you still want them whenever I get around to it. If not they'll probably just end up getting scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Hello guys, as I said in my introduction post, I'm sorry for not having been there the past few weeks, I've been working my ass off and all I did but working was going home, eat and sleep... But I'm back ! wdanison, I'd love to have your backing plates. I'ts kinda becoming an emergency since now one the rear brakes that are on the car there is absolutely NO thread left, the shoes are actually rubbing the drum, even the rivets are gone...

Could you PM me and we try and arrange something for costs and shipping ? Thank you very much

I don't know about Aerostars but the only Rangers with 10" rear drums are the 4.0L trucks if I'm not mistaken.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr Z7 w/87' 5.0/C4 EFI intercooled twin turbo power

1984 Ford LTD wagon w/87' 5.0/4R70W EFI nitrous outlet X-series

There is a fine line between a hobby ...and mental illness.