Close

Default 1983 Mustang GLX 5.0 Exhaust advice

The exhaust on my 83 GLX needs to be replaced. Thinking of putting dials on. What are the challenges with doing this or should I keep it stock? The car is all stock and will not be getting any other modifications if o decide to go duals. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe the rear brake hose and if it is cfi then the external fuel pump is where the passenger muffler is. Other that that, double hump crossmember and some hangers. And I also believe the crossmember will need to be modified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Right on, thanks. Any recommendations on mufflers , I don't want it too loud.

A dynomax kit. Nice mellow sound. Summit racing or rock auto. Look for coupon codes

If you are leaving everything else stock, there is no point in duals. You will never realize any sort of advantage in cruising around with the top down driving. Let's face it, you aren't going to the dyno or the track. Just replace the single exhaust and move along. That's a nice looking ride by the way. Just keep it as Ford left it.

If I go that route keeping it factory should I keep the catalytic converter?

Afaik - It is illegal to operate any motor made after 1973 on any road in the US anywhere without cats. So yes - cats!

Legalities aside (I don't believe in that for a weekend cruiser), yes you should keep the cats on the car. As a former owner of an 85 GT Vert with off-road dual exhaust, your nose, your clothes and everyone in the car and around the car will appreciate it
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Legalities aside (I don't believe in that for a weekend cruiser), yes you should keep the cats on the car. As a former owner of an 85 GT Vert with off-road dual exhaust, your nose, your clothes and everyone in the car and around the car will appreciate it
    Thanks!

Totally agree! Keep the converters on the convt. The smell is bad in a drop top without them.

I did the dual conversion on my old 83 Capri, used BBK shortie headers a catted H pipe from a 89, (manual hanger on the trans) Summit cat back muffler & tail pipe set up. Only mod was for the brake line splitter on the diff. Wound up using the set-up from a 85 GT from the JY to move the splitter to the center & used the brake lines from the diff from the 85 as well. Also had to get longer header bolts. Defiantly felt faster by the butt dyno & sounded way cooler. Also keep in mind mine was a carb car.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    I did the dual conversion on my old 83 Capri, used BBK shortie headers a catted H pipe from a 89, (manual hanger on the trans) Summit cat back muffler & tail pipe set up. Only mod was for the brake line splitter on the diff. Wound up using the set-up from a 85 GT from the JY to move the splitter to the center & used the brake lines from the diff from the 85 as well. Also had to get longer header bolts. Defiantly felt faster by the butt dyno & sounded way cooler. Also keep in mind mine was a carb car.
    Mine is a carb car as well, thanks for the information! Appreciated

I also had to relocate the rear brake line & add about 18" to it. Stock location was on pass side so just bent it to fit up in the drive shaft tunnel
    & added the extension.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Pretty much what Matt (onetrackrider) said is what needs to happen to do a proper conversion. I will add one thing to it though. When adding the passenger side tailpipe, it does put the pipe fairly close to the fuel lines that run to/from the tank......at least it does on my 84. I wrapped the section of tailpipe that I questioned the close proximity on just to be on the safe side.

IMHO....if I were to keep the car relatively stock, I would keep the single exhaust on it and not worry about all the additional work needed to do the conversion properly.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Autos in North America have been fitted with catalytic converters since 1975,and are required by law to run them on the public highways.

^^This is true^^ BUT, not all states do emissions testing - and most police in states that do not test are not concerned with it on weekend cruisers. I've run O/R exhaust on several cars over the past 25 years in IN with absolutely 0 issues. Not arguing whats right or wrong, just stating a fact that the products are available (with disclaimers of course) and installed on cars all across the country....and probably 9 out 10 times with no issues. I have been pulled over plenty of times over the years in my cars and never had an officer ask about the exhaust on my cars.

But back to the original point....the smell from a cat-less carb'd 5.0 is simply not worth the minimal gains.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FWIW, objectionable smells from a cat-less carb'd anything is more about carb tune than it is about an exhaust system devoid of catalytic converters.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/