Close

FEP Super Member

Default Garrett T3 vs IHI T3 (.48 side)

I have both, a Garrett T3 .60/.48 and an IHI .60/.48. Of the two, which is a better performer?

I know, switch to a Garrett T3 .60/.63.......................... that is what my Holset HX40/HX35 hybrid is for!
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

I prefer the IHI, instant boost, and can support 18 psi.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Depends on your goal. I've driven with both and for a totally stock car the ihi does have less lag and might be nice from a drivability perspective. The Garret T3 I feel it makes more power overall. I suspect it flows more at the same boost levels. That's per the butt dyno if you know what I mean - not totally scientific.
    Last edited by foot2floor; 08-21-2017 at 06:13 AM.

FEP Super Member

And that is directly what I am wondering. Being as they are both .60/.48 sized, I was wondering which one would outperform the other or if they would perform the same (given identical size ARs). If the Garrett does produce more oomph overall, I may just swap it into the place of the IHI until I get the manifold built to use the Holset.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."

Ford USA got the supply of these turbos from Japan via IHI; in fact, through the Ford Probe Turbo prpject, which was a 1984 Model Year Mazda Capalla 626 Turbo Coupe and 929 Hardtop turbo. Chevrolet used it in the 660 Turbo EFi V6 show car, so Ford didn't have any bones about whacking in a Toyo Kogyo sourced turbo. It was propbably the automatics down rated 145 hp engine with its low performacne A4LD 4 stage auto Turbo Coupe that forced Fords hand. They were all pretty poor off boost, and a smaller turbo really helped a 3600 pound car spool on to boost.

Its a Ford thing, all the Ford Auto's in that era lost power compared to the T5; the IHI bought some off boost manners to a combination that should have been as strong as the last SVO T5.

The RB5 and 6 series turbos have less inertia because the hot and cold side have less dead weight to spin. IHI devised the turbos for low speed limit 50 mph Japanese urban driving conditions, where a light, small turbo, even with the same specs as a Garret AirRESEARCH T03, it still makes boost quicker.

Mitsubishi and Toyota then spent a lot of time making turbos even smaller, with less response time. The IHI worked fine on the Probe 2.2, so the 2.3 made the switch about the same time.

FEP Super Member

I don't want to sound like a dick, xctasy, but I don't require a history lesson. I know full-well the development of both the IHI/Werner and the Garrett turbos.

The question was dealing with the performance of the two, based on the same .48 hot side. The IHI was used on the '87-'88 TurboCoupes for better low-end response, versus the .63 hot side of the SVOs for performance. The T3 .48 was used on the Merkurs for the same reason as the IHI on the TCoupes. I am interested in whether the IHI .48 outperforms the Garrett T3 .48 across the board or only in a small window. Or do they perform the same. It appears the .48 Garrett outperforms the .48 IHI from mid-rpm to the upper limits. I have an '88 Toupe that will get the swap, until I have the header built for the HX35/HX40 hybrid.

I also have an '84 GT Turbo that will be getting a GT42 sized ball-bearing turbo attached to the Volvo B234R headed Ford 2.3L.

IHI yep, its way quicker spool only. A/R ratios and area specs are the same.

I was trying to find the figures, but can't.

Point noted, and its fine, take it or leave it.

FEP Super Member

xctasy, no disrespect meant! :-)

This TCoupe is getting quite a few upgrades, as it was given to me for the labor I will have involved in taking the parts the guy wants out of the car. I was going to finish parting it out until I saw it (and seen it was a Southern car). I decided then and there that another '88 TurboCoupe wouldn't be destroyed for its parts. I hunted down a replacement hood and instrument cluster (to replace the ones taken from this car) and decided to go 5-lug (as I had spindles in storage) and Cobra IRS to replace the front and rear brakes/diff also removed for the gentleman. This car sort-of evolved from all of my spare parts!

The three turbos I'm familiar with were the 84-85 svo t3 which was a 60/63, then in 85.5-86 the t3 became water cooled and the ratio became 60/48 for a faster spool up. The down side is it runs out of grunt at about 5k rpms instead of pulling all the way to 6k. The IHI turbo was considerably smaller and produced boost at sub 2k rpms but runs out of steam at 4k ish. Great for heavy cars or auto cross people with short tight courses.
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551