Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Won't run, gas puking out of vent tube

So this morning my 85 GT would start but wouldn't stay running and ran like garbage. Replaced the fuel filter which didn't help. It'll only start/stay running if I floor it. I've noticed fuel is puking out of the front float bowl vent tube. Any ideas? I believe the carb is a Holley 650.

I am no carb expert but there are several here that will chime in but my first thought would be a stuck float.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Sounds like either a float is stuck or your needle and seat are stuck/have trash in them.

Most likely you will need to at least pull off the front bowl and verify what is going on. A complete overhaul may be the best option depending on how long it has been since it has been rebuilt. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Name:  IMG_5040.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  88.3 KB[HR]
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sounds like either a float is stuck or your needle and seat are stuck/have trash in them.

Most likely you will need to at least pull off the front bowl and verify what is going on. A complete overhaul may be the best option depending on how long it has been since it has been rebuilt. Good Luck!
    Ok so of course I can't seem to get the fuel line off. The metal line actually twists with the fitting (I shot a pic so you can actually see where the line is kinked now from twisting). Any recommendations there?
    I did manage to get the bowl loose and the float seems to move freely. I took off the needle and cleaned it. Car ran for a second but as soon as I revved it it puked fuel out the vent tube again.

At that point I would just cut that off with a tubing cutter and buy a new feed line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    At that point I would just cut that off with a tubing cutter and buy a new feed line.
    Figured as much. I doused it with PB earlier to loosen it but nothing doing.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneJesus View Post
    Name:  IMG_5040.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  88.3 KB[HR]

Ok so of course I can't seem to get the fuel line off. The metal line actually twists with the fitting (I shot a pic so you can actually see where the line is kinked now from twisting). Any recommendations there?
    I did manage to get the bowl loose and the float seems to move freely. I took off the needle and cleaned it. Car ran for a second but as soon as I revved it it puked fuel out the vent tube again.
    As long as the tapered line/fitting union remains tightened, all you're going to do is keep twisting your dual feed fuel line. You need to clear the area of plug wires, etc, retighten and then hold the large bowl fitting rock steady with a 1" wrench, and then loosen the dual feed line nut to get it properly apart. Remove the large bowl fitting too and look for garbage inside there.

As to your fuel fountain out the bowl vent tube, the needle'n'seat isn't shutting, clogged/blocked from shutting with trash, or it's o-ring's broken or flat not sealing, or the float's too high or not floating anymore.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 08-20-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Yep. This one wont be too expensive or hard to fix either one. We obviously know the source of the issue. The issue is confined to one area and part. It's not your fault at all but that fuel line is likely Chinese garbage because that's probably all you can find these days. It's already proven itself to be useless so junk that and find a different Chinese part to replace it with and fix the carb.

^ this ^ + 1

then get out a shovel and bury it. Lol.

Guess I'll grab a rebuild kit and a fuel line today and tear into this thing shortly.

Alrighty, the ****'s on the way from Jegs. This'll be my first non-lawnmower carb rebuild so I'll get some cash ready for the swear jar.

I like to tell people to enroll in you tube university, while you wait for parts watch a couple vids on taking apart that holley. It's pretty easy. You might enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    I like to tell people to enroll in you tube university, while you wait for parts watch a couple vids on taking apart that holley. It's pretty easy. You might enjoy it.
    Oh yeah I've been watching YouTube all day at work today.
    Went ahead and added two floats to my order just in case.

Well, got the carb off and drained so maybe my house won't smell like a fire hazard tomorrow. That fuel line is officially gakked.
    Name:  IMG_5042.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  80.6 KB
    wonder why my pics keep showing up upside down...

Double pumper, sweet. 650? Looks like a good candidate that'll clean up nice. I've seen and dealt with MUCH worse. Have at it and keep us posted, HurricaneJesus!
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HtsfgxnyN6o

I've watched this tear-down video a few times today and yesterday. Hopefully I can carve out some time tonight and tear this thing down.

Name:  IMG_5044.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  91.2 KB
    So this tab popped right off of the primary metering block. Am I gonna need a new one?
    Also I'm noticing there are no idle screws in the secondary metering block. Is that correct?

It's a gasket locating pin, and guides the block back squarely onto the body when going back together. You can live without it if careful when reassembling. Though, here's how I fix broken locating pins with 6-32x1/4 brass socket set screws:

That's correct, when there's no "four corner idle" modification that's been done to your carburetor. Teeny tiny small orifices in the secondary bores take care of secondary idle fuel so it's doesn't go stale in the secondary bowl if somebody doesn't regularly trounce on go-pedal to open 'em up.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 08-26-2017 at 01:44 AM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  117.4 KB
    Ok here's where we're at until the mail comes tomorrow. An hour or two of carb dip and some scraping with a plastic trim knife to get the gasket junk off.

FEP Super Member

Dont forget to bladt all air passages with air , or carb cleener with the straw connected .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Dont forget to bladt all air passages with air , or carb cleener with the straw connected .
    And wear safety glasses when you do that. Carb cleaner in the eye doesn't make for a fun afternoon.
    '85 GT

Lookin' good. Sorry if I think I'm seeing some where there aren't any in your last picture, but make sure to remove all the old bowl screw and accelerator pump shooter gaskets. Preferably with compressed air, or at least with a length of vacuum hose and your hurricane wind power (pun intended, lol), blow out all main body air bleeds/passages and the metering blocks' passages real well.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    And wear safety glasses when you do that. Carb cleaner in the eye doesn't make for a fun afternoon.
    oh I've discovered carb cleaner is way worse for my eyes than the eclipse.

By the way, thanks for all the tips and encouragement, guys. Pretty intimidating process but I'm trying to take it slow and be as detail-oriented as I can...
    Rebuild kit arrived today but I won't have much time to wrench until this weekend...unless I stay up late...which I might.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  117.5 KB
    Little bit of progress. Once the floats get here (hopefully tomorrow) I'll be able to finish up. In the meantime I got all the old gasket I could off the throttle body and manifold...some of that junk didn't wanna come off.

...and I STILL got carb cleaner in my eye....and mouth...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast