Close

Default Newbie from Switzerland

Hello everybody,

I hope I'm gonna do this right the first time ! So my name is Daniel (everyone calls me Danny), I'm 27 years old and I'm from Switzerland. I've been into american cars pretty much since I was born. I drive trucks for a living, and on my free time I like to ride my bike, drive my cars or tinker on them.

I recently fulfilled a 15 years long dream, I could finally put my hands on a Mercury Zephyr ( they are VERY rare in my country). Well actually I managed to find that there are only 3 sedans actually being registered as of now in Switzerland and I'm the proud owner of one of those 3 ! I first saw a picture of a Fairmont in a book when I was 12, and I promised myself I would have one one day. 15 years later the day has finally come, and I bought my Zephyr in April of this year.

It's a 1980 255 V8 Zephyr, 3 speed auto, bench seat, no AC. It's got 70k original miles and I drive it every day. It's almost rust free (a tad on the rear right fender), body's got a few dings and scratches, but overall a pretty straight car that starts every morning and gets me to work no matter what.

I'm not restoring it, but I'm putting it back in shape with hopefully a few little upgrades (very little, I like to have as original as it can be), like the brakes and such because I live in the mountains. Which is why I came here in the first place, because I will need advice, parts and such, and I hope to take you along with me while I put this baby back in shape. And hopefully when I get to know this car really well, to pay forward the advice I got to other people that need it !

I'll try to post a couple pictures of my Mercury here. I hope I've not been too boring, and I'm looking forward to chat with you guys !

Have a nice day

Danny

PS if you have any questions feel free to askName:  Photo0270.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  45.1 KBName:  Photo0271.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  35.0 KBName:  Photo0275.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  61.2 KB
    Last edited by Danny; 08-20-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Welcome to FEP. Now I know 2 Zephyr owners in Switzerland.
    This site is great as far as help is concerned. We await your questions.
    Glad that you plan on keeping it original. Would like to see the door tag if possible.
    I think you and I are the only ones that sought out this car as a "must have".
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Thanks ! Oh really ? Cool ! I'd love to get in touch with them ! I do have seen a couple coupes for too, but what I wanted was a sedan and nothing else ! Haha yeah probably, it's got quite a dull styling, but somehow I love it, I think it is the archetype of 80's american cars styling. I'll post about it in the right section right now

I went to check your website real quick, you did an amazing job fixing that rear end ! Love the Alan Jackson song too

I'll snap a pic of the door tags and post them here
    Last edited by Danny; 08-21-2017 at 08:16 AM.

She's in good shape! Glad to hear you are trying to keep her as original as possible. I'm trying to do the same with my car. Welcome to the forum! I'm sure the friendly people on here will be able to easily help you as they have helped me. Seems like these guys have infinite knowledge of these cars. Great place to be when you own a 'foureye'

Welcome to FEP. Man that's a gorgeous background. Great looking car.. You should no problems finding info with these guys.. Very, very helpful site..

Hello Danny

I'm the other guy from Switzerland owning a Zephyr...;-) RED 78 informed me about your "existence"...;-) I registered quickly and added you to my contacts. So, if you like and if I understood the system correctly, you should be able to contact me via e-mail. Best Regards Reto

With only 3 cars registered in Switzerland I bet parts are hard to come by. This is a great group of people here and would no doubt help in locating parts. Nice looking car!
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Love the car.
    From the front wing vent windows to the black steel rims.
    It looks like it has more ground clearance than original. Taller tires ?
    Can't remember how they looked, it's been so long....

Hello again guys, sorry for not having been there, I've been working my ass off the last few weeks... Thanks everyone for the compliments on my car, I'm so proud of it !

Jessesandy, I've honestly no idea if it's taller than original, but I think it's at it's original height. Suspension is original, so if it's taller it's maybe the tires as you say. It had dog dish hubcaps before but the previous owner sadly kept them.

83GTJIM, I'm not even trying to find parts in Switzerland, at least body parts. Most stuff I can find on Rockauto.

Reto, thanks for signing up, I'ill send you an email !

Red78, here are the pictures you asked for, finally !

Name:  Photo0294.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  22.4 KB

Name:  Photo0295.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  33.2 KB

FEP Supporter

Welcome to the site Danny. The car looks to be in fantastic shape and looks to live a fun life! I bet it's a real head turner over there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Thanks ! Yeah, quite a few people stop and ask me what it is ! Well pictures do it a lot of favor, the paint isn't that great, but overall it's in really good shape. The clock even still works !

Hi Danny,

Just seen this ! Welcome to the site

I am also in Switzerland in AG up near Basel

MfG
    Steve
    People who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the people doing it!

1979 Mustang 2.8V6
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited

Welcome
    Great to hear from all you out there and do enjoy pics of the cars with scenery.
    Amazed how similar good things can be to here in the us.

Wow So lucky to find a rare car like that showing little age.
    And to find this site to help keep it that way.
    Being intact, can experience the car as it really was and is.
    Dreams can come true. It was waiting for you. You just had to find it.
    Enjoy that car! It would be at home at any car show around here.

Hey Wilsst thank you ! That's awesome to find Swiss people on here !

Hello gr79 thank you for all the compliments ! I feel blessed indeed, making such a rare find here ! Maybe one day I'll take down to it's country of birth and tour it I sure enjoy it every single day !

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hey Wilsst thank you ! That's awesome to find Swiss people on here !
    Ciao Danny,
    greetings from üsserschwiiz (Zurich) vomnä grüezi ! So we should definitively do a swiss 4eyed cruise next spring :-) . än uhuärä geile charä häsch :-) (a super cool ride you have). More news on my car on this forum to come soon...

cheers,
    Pete
    Last edited by stickshift; 10-31-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI