Close

Default 1985 5.0 GT CFI idle question

Hey guys! Ive been searching forums lately and decided to join 4eyed! Seems like a lot of good members here with a ton of knowledge.

Quick back story on the car. did some work for a guy on trade for this 1985 Mustang 5.0,GT,CFI,AOD,Vert. It sat in his field tarped the last 13 years. I went through did all fluids and filters, dumped the gas tank,filters plug,wires,cap n rotor. starts and runs and shifts great. It needs a ton of cosmetic work but i am getting it mechanically sound prior to making it look any better.

I already have a intake and carb coming so the cfi wont be an issue for long. Just trying to get it right so my wife can drive it for next cple of weeks before i rip into it.

I've used the search function here and on other sites and haven't found this specific issue. Sorry if it has been covered.

So onto my minor issue. When i start the car it fires up great and holds idle at 500 RPM, Then it seems like the choke kicks on and idle climbs to 1000 rpm. I followed the manual and tried adjusting it via the adjuster on the side of the "carb"

My question is.. shouldn't it start with high idle then kick down to 500-750 instead of opposite? I cant kick it down to hit low idle.

Thanks for the help, ive attached a cple pictures of my field find.

Name:  20170816_175953.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  80.5 KBName:  20170816_175922.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  82.5 KBName:  20170812_150445.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  84.0 KB

FEP Power Member

Are you starting it correctly? For cold start push down on the pedal and release. Then crank it.

They like to stick on high idle when not used for a while. High idle might be up around 1800 RPMs when in park. Once the electric choke pull off warms up it should idle down. Check to see if it's plugged in. While the choke assembly looks much like the carb. Version, it does work a bit different. Also check for loose vacuum hoses.

To release the high idle, remove the aid cleaner cover and lift up the base slightly. You will see the end of the choke linkage sticking up, just gently push it down.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Power Member

Default Idle

dup. Post
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Ive gone through all wiring and vacuum lines under the hood. No cracks and no spits or rotten wires.

I am not starting it correctly apparently. I'll go through the choke assembly and verify functionality.

Researching CFI verifies that im going to be happier overall with the carb setup.

Appreciate the info Kevin!

You have most of the wires required for EFI. I strongly recommend going to a port style EFI if you are going to drive it much.

Ford got a lot of stuff right starting with select cars like the SVO. Those lessons went mainstream in the 1986 and 87 and 89 model years.

I run a Typhoon EFI intake on mine with a MAF conversion and an A9L ECU. My son run his 86 with a VM1 Speed Density EFI and stock EFI intake. Neither of us would give more than about 3 cents for a carb because we actually drive our cars- in all types of temps and weather.

Good luck getting where you want to go with yours. I just wanted you to know many 80's EFI setups were great.

And actually if you can figure it out yours is good too. Several guys here know the ins and outs and still run theirs. Not much mystery to them.

Sorry for the late response, been at the lake fishing.

I looked into the EFI conversion and keeping my CFI too. I decided on carb mainly because of ease of install on my time and wallet and i know carbs in and out.

the car wont be a daily driver,she has an Audi Quattro for that. Only summer days and cruising around.

The car does start correctly in the manner mentioned by Kevin and idle drops to 500 rpm's. My monkeying around prior to knowing that part set the idle low. Im going to go through it tomorrow and check adjustments and linkages and choke setting.

Wife and kids ran it out to the lakes today (100 miles round trip) and it ran great the whole time she said. Main issue i have is low idle yet.

Thanks again for the info guys I do appreciate it.