Close

Default Clutch Goes To Floor

Hello
    I bought a fox off Craigslist with a blown motor, I have the car all back together now when I press the clutch down the pedal goes right to the floor, This is my first trans with a cable I am use to the old school linkage. What could be causing this.
    Thank you

Flywheel turned many times without being shimmed at the crank or without an adjustable pivot

broken cable

Disengagement fork off the pivot

Cable attached to fork but not hooked in slot

cable misrouted - ensure the end is through the hole on the bellhousing before hooked to the fork

Cable end on firewall falling through the hole - possible due to improper installation or rusted firewall, etc

If stock quadrant - broken or malfunctioning clutch quadrant. Make sure the quadrant spring is rotating it towards the driver until the cable is tight and make sure they teeth are catching

other quadrants - possible that the there are 2 or 3 hook points and you picked the wrong one. If you have a firewall adjuster it goes in the one closest to the firewall.

Quite Unlikely -- but broken pedal assembly

you may need to shim the cable. The center out of an old pilot bearing works perfectly. Pull the cable off the fork, pull the cable back through the hole in the bellhousing. Put the pilot bearing over the cable end and slide it up to the stop. Thread the cable back through to the fork.

I suggest a double adjustable setup from UPR. The cable from UPR is *garbage* but their firewall adjuster and quadrant are nice. Install the quadrant and firewall adjuster. Modify the stock cable to work or get a new one from Maximum Motorsports. MM kit comes with a cable shim for the quadrant end.

Fyi - I have to run both the MM shim and my pilot bearing shim to make my clutch work with firewall adjuster out half way. This after getting a new flywheel from Autozone and running NOS fork and pivot ball. I suspect my bellhousing is about 1/8" taller from engine to pivot than it is supposed to be. My car has ALWAYS been this way. Service records I go ahold of show it had a clutch disengagement problem right off the truck when it was new. The dealer "fixed" it. Right...... Cable shims are not needed if I put so many crank shims on that the flywheel barely catches the crank at the center.

Just wanted to share some of the extremes you can end up running into.

What is the best way to route the cable ? I have long tube headers so not sure if I have it routed correctly, I have a aftermarket aluminum quadrant

Get a Maximum Motorsports OE style cable. They are longer to accommodate headers and work outstandingly well!

mine is routed firewall to framerail holder through drivers side motor mount and into the bellhousing.

Works great with equal shorty headers. Tons of extra length.

What is the correct way to adjust one of these cables?

Tighten the cable until the clutch fully releases when the clutch is pushed in plus just a little bit. My car starts to act like it wants to move when the clutch pedal is about 3/4" - 1" off the floor. I've always liked my pedal low because it helps with getting a hole shot.

You can go tighter. Stock was about 1/3 clutch pedal travel off the floor. So 2/3 of the way depressed still as your foot was in a releasing motion the clutch just started to engage if memory serves me correctly.
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-16-2017 at 08:56 PM.

I will re run the cable to see if that was my issue. If not I will get the mm cable

Double check your cable. Damage on the outer portion makes them about worthless. Also several cable suppliers put out a product that is nowhere near as nice as the factory cable.

Dont waste your money on other lesser cables if you need one and can at all avoid it.

I am a big strong guy and once adjusted I could just barely push the clutch on mine with the UPR kit using the supplied cable. After a few thousand miles it snapped and I replaced it with a MM cable. I'm running a clutch rated to hold 450 ft lbs but with the UPR low effort quadrant and running a MM cable it's so easy a child could release it.

re routed the cable works great now

Awesome! Glad to hear it!