Close

Default Weird ignition switch bolts ?

Okay so I've searched all over for this. I'm not sure if the bolts (studs?) Holding in my ignition switch are oem, but they're nothing like I've ever seen. Firstly it's not a hollow head that you would stick say a hex or star bit into. The head sticks out so you need to grab it with something. But I've never in my life came across these or a bit that would be able to grab them. They're rounded,almost looked stripped. I read that I shouldn't drill them out etc.

Now I plugged my new switch in, but kept the old one mounted, and still was unable to turn the motor over by key. So I'm guessing I need to have the switch mounted.
    Also I put a new ignition lock switch (tumbler) new starter solenoid and pretty much covered all other bases.Car turns over by screwdriver on solenoid .

Thanks in advance !

Yes - it is a weird headed screw. You can either try to grab it with a vice grip (I've never been able to do this) or use a dremel or similar to cut a slot across the head and use a standard flat blade screw driver. I replaced these weirdos on my SVO with standard hex hardware when I changed the ignition switch on my SVO.

No start - have you checked the clutch safety switch and associated wiring? There is also a jumper (manual) or lockout (auto) on the trans, the wiring for this is fed through the trans tunnel on the drivers side.

Good luck!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

They are a theft deterrent. Otherwise you could unbolt the switch using common tool, override he steering wheel lock and drive away. .
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

FEP Power Member

The switch is activated by a rod which is connected to the key tumbler. So if the rod is not connected you are not moving the actual switch. Most people snap off the mounting screws and new screws come with the new switch.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Ive never had new screws included with a switch.

Some cars had security torx. My 86 tbird had those bolts. They are actually a wing nut style head but reslly thin and designed to break off. Mine also had thread lock. They were not very tight and i was easily able to break them loose with small vice grips and thread them out by hand. I put the same bolts back in.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Yep - break them loose with a vise grip and put them back when you are done.

Ford issued a special tool for doing the ignition switch recall that stretched all through the '80s. You might be able to track one down. Any Ford tech that's been around a while will have one.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

What is the special tool?
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I can't find a picture of one (pretty sure I didn't dream it) but it looks like a little ratchet wrench with both sides having the tamper proof torx, one deep, and one very shallow. Meant so that you can just pop off the column shroud, rather than taking the whole dash apart, and zip the bolts out.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Super Member

A small flat headed chisle will loosen the anti tamper bolt .
    Once removed , you can use a hack saw blade to make a slot , so you can use a screw driver for future service .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right