Close

Default Help Identifying These Brackets

I am getting ready to finish up the motor, and as I'm getting brackets ready for the power steering pump, alternator, etc., I came across multiple versions of the same brackets. I'm hoping that someone here can help me identify the brackets in the pictures, and maybe offer some advice if any of these are preferred over the others.

Power Steering pump brackets:
    Name:  20170814_182938_resized.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  121.2 KB

Belt Tensioner Brackets:
    Name:  20170814_182928_resized.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  98.3 KB

Not sure what this black metal plate bracket is at all:
    Name:  20170814_182934_resized.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  126.6 KB

I think this is the smog pump idler bracket, but not sure, curious if anyone knows what this is for?
    Name:  20170814_182942_resized.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  85.5 KB

Big flat metal plate bracket goes around the water pump and holds the AC compressor.

Reason I know is that mine holds a double head bolt with washers that force the bolt down the hole as a way to hold in on my to water pump where my top bolt is twisted off....... 2 am repairs that suck but they work.

Do I need that flat bracket if I am not running A/C?

That last picture I believe is a smog delete pulley.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

There are differences in PS brackets between AC and non AC cars. From memory, I believe the bulky PS bracket pairs with the AC bracket but I'd have to double check on my factory AC car to know for sure.

I get the sense that you are looking to simplify your setup to the bare minimum. As you know, the main thing you have to watch is pulley alignment. When you start removing stuff if you don't adjust for the spacing you will chew up belts or you won't be able to keep the belt on.

I would start with a complete matched set of brackets on the motor with things set in place. Then you can identify what changes you can get away with. As they sit now they are just a pile of brackets and they don't make much sense.
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-15-2017 at 09:06 AM.

The bracket in the last pic is a p/s bracket from the mid 60's to the early 70's. Those pumps were strictly v- belt style and likely will not correctly at all with rack and pinion.

For the belt tensioner brackets, the one on the left is an early style, and one on the right is later style. '85 and up, i think.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Default Help Identifying These Brackets

The middle p/s bracket is the later model (I believe). That's the one I would go with without a/c. At least that's what I did when I took the a/c off my 84 LTD LX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by wdanison43103 View Post
    The middle p/s bracket is the later model (I believe). That's the one I would go with without a/c. At least that's what I did when I took the a/c off my 84 LTD LX

Perfect, that was what I was hoping for. Its the smallest and most simple. Not sure why the others have the square drive... like they need to be tensioned... all had serpentine style pulleys on the pumps that were attached, but maybe they were swapped, and the ones with the square drive are for the earlier style with V-belts?

Can't comment on the square drive part of it but I know the later model brackets have the recess for the bolt heads when you use a factory style a/c delete. If not the the stock bolts are too short and the bolt heads are in the path of the belt.

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

The middle PS/AC bracket is the 85-93 setup. That is the most popular and generally the easiest to use as more aftermarket parts are designed for that setup.

The Black painted ALT/Air Pump bracket appears to be the same 85-93 setup. Again that is generally the best to go with, especially if using the same year model PS/AC bracket.

As stated above the black steel bracket is the unit that holds the A/C compressor front mounts in place. You will not need that bracket if converting the car to a PS only setup. You will need a kit like this. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8511A/musta...ator-kit-85-93

That is the best and easiest way to use the brackets you have, but move the PS pump up higher on the engine to shorten the belt and provide better belt wrap and tension.

The idler pulley/bracket shown appears to be the Ford Racing Air pump delete unit such as this. https://lmr.com/Product/Search?q=air...979-93-Mustang

The square drive hole on the one ps bracket is I believe for tightening the belts on V belt models. I believe Ford used that bracket on several vehicles.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 08-18-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller