Close

Default Pinstriping on 84 LX

Does anyone know offhand how many rolls of Scotchcal 70201 needed to re do the double stripping around the door molding and front and rear bumper covers?

I believe mine were 40 ft rolls and I used 1 and a half. I screwed up a lot though! But two will definitely do the job.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I just checked online - the rolls are 40 feet long. At 7.00 per roll, I would think that two would be more than enough. The car is basically 15 feet long on each side, which is about 30 feet just to give you something to start with.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 08-14-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: No Edit hit the edit instead of quote button!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I just checked online - the rolls are 40 feet long. At 7.00 per roll, I would think that two would be more than enough. The car is basically 15 feet long on each side, which is about 30 feet just to give you something to start with.
    Keep in mind that each bumper adds 6-8 feet to the total. So as you recommended 2 rolls is generally the minimum amount to purchase.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Keep in mind that each bumper adds 6-8 feet to the total. So as you recommended 2 rolls is generally the minimum amount to purchase.
    Subtracting wheel openings, that saves just a bit over 3 feet on each side.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Subtracting wheel openings, that saves just a bit over 3 feet on each side.
    True, but you generally have waste as you pull the stripes taunt and straight, so . . .

I was agreeing with your quantity of 2 rolls to be sure, just wanted to make sure others calculate in the bumpers too.

I actually pull my stripes down the sides from one end of the car to the other to make sure they are straight and even. Then I go back and cut out the wheel wells. Then I pull the stripes around the bumpers making sure to line up with the side stripes. So I end up with more waste then others, but I know the stripes are straight and true.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I just ordered 3 rolls off ebay

I'm thinking I should stipe the body side door moldings while they are off the car after paint. Easier to keep a steady hand than doing them on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I just ordered 3 rolls off ebay

I'm thinking I should stipe the body side door moldings while they are off the car after paint. Easier to keep a steady hand than doing them on the car.
    That is true, but sometimes that can lead to the stripes not actually lining up perfectly when reinstalled on the body. Depending on how wide your actual pinstripe is and how well it fits into the recess in the moldings that can allow for enough variations for the stripes to "wave" going done the body just because of the tolerance.

The way I do the stripes is to hook one end of the tape on the edge of the molding. I hook the driver side molding behind the front tire and pull to the back of the car. The passenger side I hook the edge of the molding in front of the rear tire and pull to the front of the car. You can do it whatever way works best for you. Then I pull the backing off the tape enough to cover the first molding. Pull the tape down the side of the car, but holding it out away from the car so it doesn't catch just yet. Then slowly move the tape towards the car making sure to keep it straight down the side and level across the moldings. I set the first molding and use some masking tape to hold the rest of the stripes in place. Step back from the car and check your work. If you are happy move on to the next step. Otherwise pull the stripes back up (they should only be lightly tacked as you haven't pressed them on just yet) and start over.

Once you are happy with the first molding. Use your thumb or fingers and carefully press the stripes down nice and firm onto the first molding. Now repeat the process for the door and the other molding between the wheels. I often will do the door and the other molding as one shot since the door is the hard part. Just be careful not to press the stripes down until you are happy with the look.

I generally carry the stripes onto the front and rear bumper moldings across the wheel wells. Yes, you waste tape, but it helps to assure the stripes are straight and true. I then pull the stripes around the bumper to the corner and then pull again to the molding on the other side of the wheel to make sure they all line up. Once I am happy with everything, then I will go back and press everything down.

Just remember to pull the tape taunt when doing this. Don't rip it apart, but you don't want any excess or any slack in the tape when pulling it across the moldings. Good luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller