Close

Default Valve cover clarance with GT40/Explorer upper and lower intake?

So I have a project---not a four-eye, but I figured the tech would be useful---and I'm looking for valve covers. I like a lot of the finned aluminum covers Ford has done over the years ('COBRA powered by Ford" "Ford Motorsport" "Ford Racing" and the pre-'86 GT 'powered by Ford') valve covers, but I have no idea how they clear with the GT40/Explorer intake setup, or if there are oil filler location issues. I suppose I should just look for valve covers that have a fill hole in the same location as the stockers off the '90 engine I'm using, but are all of the old covers out? I've got a couple sets I'm watching on eBay, so I'm trying to figure out if they are worth picking up and refurbing or not.
    It's 'definitely', not 'defanitely', 'definately' or 'definetly'.

My factory aluminum valve covers barely clear the Explorer intake on the driver's side. If you plug the vacuum elbows on the plenum you can get a little more clearance.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

You've got the 'powered by Ford' ones? That's cool. Can you still get to an oil fill hole?

I would put some spacers to help rise the intake a bit

Yeah, I've seen folks do that too. Thanks!

I put the Ford Racing boss 302 valve covers on my wife's otherwise stock 5.0 engine. I had to put a spacer between the upper and lower to clear them. You will have to find a very small flat push in fill cap in on the drivers side front hole and use it to fill with. It is a tight fit and you will need a small funnel (I use a trans funnel actually). They look good.