Close

Default Gas tank and fuel pump question

So i have an 82 GT im currently running a Mallory pro comp pump i had 8an fittings welded into my stock tank for a supply and return . my issues are the pump is really loud and the tank isn't baffled so around corners the pump is drawing in air ,id like to use an in tank fuely pump , can i use an 87 up tank and would a sending unit from an 86 mustang work with my fuel gauge.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I believe you have it all figured out already. The 87-93 sending unit is backwards if I recall, causing you to need the '86 as you stated. The later ones read full when empty and empty when full I think.

Just wondering if anyone on here has done this and were there any issue's

LMR carries the needed gauge sending unit. They work great.

I run an 87 tank in my 83L. When I did the efi conversion, the 86 sender was not available so I made a sender using parts from both the 87 and 83 sender.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Is anyone running a high pressure pump on a carbed car ? Just wondering if this is a good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang pal View Post
    Is anyone running a high pressure pump on a carbed car ? Just wondering if this is a good way to go.

I would think you would want a return system and a carb fuel pressure regulator if you are carbed. The carb only needs 5-8 psi and anything more can cause issues. As long as you can regulate the fuel pressure to the carb and return the rest, pump size shouldn't matter much as long as the return line can handle the flow back.

As for the later model tank and pump, they should fit fine. I used an 87+ lineset, tank and in tank pump with my 84 GT when I put aftermarket fuel injection on it. To date, I have not had any issues with the fuel system.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

So after talking to a local mustang shop (Dasouza performance) I've decided to go with a Mallory 140 it's smaller that my current Mallory 250 which i don't need ,im going to rewire and re plumb my whole fuel system and do it properly this time im also looking at getting the Glen's performance sleeper tank. I'll post up the build when i get everything together.

So i picked up new pump (Mallory 140) a relay and 8an return line as well as a return style regulator, along with fittings im it for $1000. Canadian I'll leave the tank for another time.

Here is a pic of the goodies

This suggestion is too late, but if you went to an efi tank, I believe several factory applications actually had a low pressure pump in the tank feeding a higher pressure external pump. I bet that low pressure in tank pump would work great for a carb application. I swapped my 85 over to efi and used a 97 (iirc) tank and had to mod my sending unit because there were no 86 reproductions at the time. It wasn't too hard...just swapped guts from one to the other.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Problem with using an efi pump from what i was told is that they don't supply enough volume for a carb at least not a stock pump im using a pump that supplys 140 gph the equivalent in tank pump would have to be like 529 lph .cost wise this was the cheaper way to go .

Quote Originally Posted by mustang pal View Post
    Problem with using an efi pump from what i was told is that they don't supply enough volume for a carb at least not a stock pump im using a pump that supplys 140 gph the equivalent in tank pump would have to be like 529 lph .cost wise this was the cheaper way to go .

Something to keep in mind is that an EFI fuel pump is designed to operate at much high fuel pressure than a carburetor fuel pump. That is the biggest difference.

In regards to the Mallory pumps all their "Flow Rates" are a Free Flow Rates. That mean NO pressure at all. As the fuel pressure rises the flow rate decreases. You can check out their chart on page 5 of their PDF here: http://documents.msdperformance.com/29256.pdf

The 140 is pre-set for 12 PSI so the actual flow rate is actually around 30 GPH not the 140 GPH advertised. Just FYI.

When you compare that to the stock Mustang EFI pump that is designed for @ 40 PSI of fuel pressure and 88 LPH that equates to approximately 23.25 GPH, but again at over 3 times the pressure of the Mallory 140.

Not implying that the Mallory won't do what you need or there are any issues with it, just want to try and help illustrate the differences between the pumps and what makes them different. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That's the thing i was looking for an example of someone using a high pressure pump on a carbed car keep in mind my engine is modified (330 hp at the wheels) and i run Nos at the track, but that didn't seem to be a popular choice so i didn't want to take a chance .

Nothing wrong with running a better pump, especially with nos.

The pumps are generally rated at 90psi and most pumps way out flow needs on stock applications. Some pumps are actually capeable of more then double the lph or gph rating at 40 or even carb specific pressures.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Back in the early 2000's, the guy who helped build my 85 bought a cfi 85 gt. He converted it to carb by using a regulator to drop the EFI down to carb pressure levels. He may have even run some nos on it. So it can be done. I think he still bracket races the car to this day.

The fuel needed for XXX HP is the same no matter what PSI it is supplied at. EFI just needs higher PSI so the injectors can atomize the fuel. The carb atomizes it in the venturi's. But if a 400hp engine burns (just throwing numbers out) 10 lbs of gasoline per hour thru a carb, it should pretty much burn the same amount injected all things being equal.

There's literally tons of people who have done this to efi cars...ie run a carb off the efi pump.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Reason i started this was because the Mallory 250 that i was using was loud as hell and my tank wasn't sumped properly so on hard cornering with less than half tank i would loose pressure , i would have had swap out the tank ,fuel lines for something i wasn't sure would work so I've gone with the Mallory 140 on a return regulator and proper relay and it is very quiet (can hardly hear it) i still need to work on the tank but that will have to wait till i get more cash together.

Anyone here ever use a fuel tank from Glen's performance? I was looking at there sleeper tank ,just looking for any experiences good /bad.

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    The fuel needed for XXX HP is the same no matter what PSI it is supplied at. EFI just needs higher PSI so the injectors can atomize the fuel. The carb atomizes it in the venturi's. But if a 400hp engine burns (just throwing numbers out) 10 lbs of gasoline per hour thru a carb, it should pretty much burn the same amount injected all things being equal.

There's literally tons of people who have done this to efi cars...ie run a carb off the efi pump.
    That is essentially true, but . . . When talking about fluid flow and pumps you have to consider pressure required as well as the volume needed. Pumps are rated by both and generally as pressure increases, the volume decreases just as shown in the Mallory information. So you always want to verify that you have the required fuel volume at your required pressure of any pump you purchase.

Not arguing in anyway what will or will not work on OP setup, just trying to make sure others don't purchase a pump on "Volume" alone when there is more to the equation.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller