Close

Default Foxbody CVT transmission

So I was sitting around this afternoon and thinking about fun builds to research and it occurred to me - I've never seen a Mustang with a CVT style transmission.

Imagine it- our beloved pushrod 5.0 hitting peak torque and staying there. Meanwhile our foxbody shoots on down the road - taking off about like a bottle-rocket!

there are rumors that the GT500 will get one but why should the new cars have all the fun?

Blog Entries

Pretty much why I love my baby roots blower. I'm at peak torque at 2000 rpm, and stay there until 6000 rpm when i hit the limiter. Shifting gear at 6k brings me into the next pretty much at 2k, and the fun continues.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Ok. I love the commentary........ made me laugh. But they did not make a gear kit for a T5 that would cause you to drop from 6000 to 2000 upon shifting one gear.

I guess you could always just skip a gear to get that result. 1-3-5 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    So I was sitting around this afternoon and thinking about fun builds to research and it occurred to me - I've never seen a Mustang with a CVT style transmission.

Imagine it- our beloved pushrod 5.0 hitting peak torque and staying there. Meanwhile our foxbody shoots on down the road - taking off about like a bottle-rocket!

there are rumors that the GT500 will get one but why should the new cars have all the fun?

Or behaving like an old Hydramatic, feeling like there is treacle in the clutch.....

Ford opted out of the paying work Alfa Romeo, Borg Warner, DAF Van Dorne and the co owned JATCO did (Nissan, Toyo Kogyo[Mazda], Isuzu).

The old JATCO Granada 250 and Ford Courier had a 3n71b, which Mazda and Nissan used in 1984 in overdrive 4 speed form. Then Subaru, who wnet to CVT with the 3 cylinder Justy in 1984, partly used by Nissan for IRS parts, used the revised version of the gearbox in the SVX and then all the other AWD cars.

Some of the links are a little ropey, but JATCO was the king maker in bringing forth multiple step automatics, then there were 5 and 6 and 7 speed versions of it, and suddenly, the October 1999 adaption to the Cedric/Gloria models the EXTROID CVT designed for application to rear-wheel-drive cars fitted with 3.0-liter class engines." This was the Toroidal Roller drive CVT Nissan gearbox, in co -op with Jatco.

The technology will improve, the Japanese have just been very conservative on making sure the high line Sklines aren't going to gain a neagtive service chink against them....like they have with the aluminum IRS rear end has. Traditionally, Nissan has put long life and good service strength on the list, so my AWD 1996 Nissan uses a stone age simple 4 speed over drive, and the G""d awfull narrow body taxi Cefiro chasiss base. With a few extra love handles, its the old Skyline platform.

The JATCO transmissions, which Ford had access to via Mazda

Longitudinal engine rear wheel drive

1969–1989 L3N71B — First Jatco-developed 3-speed (RX-3/4/5/7'S, 1973 US Ford Courier 1.8 liter, 1975-1979 Ford Granada 4.1 liter)
    1983–1990 L4N71B/E4N71B — 4-speed light/medium duty (aka Mazda N4A-EL, RX-7). Used in Nissan Laurel and Urvan
    1988–2003 RL4R01A/RE4R01A — 4-speed light/medium duty (aka Mazda R4A-EL)
    RE4R03A/JR403E/RG4R01A — 4-speed (Nissan Stagea 1993-2001)
    1989–DATE RE5R01A — 5-speed
    Nissan Skyline, Nissan Cedric, Nissan Gloria, Nissan Laurel, Nissan Cefiro
    2002–DATE RE5R05A — 5-speed

Rear wheel drive

Jatco JR006E: Toroidal CVT
    Nissan Skyline 350GT-8

The modern JATCO was formed after Nissan spun off its AT/CVT (automatic transmission/continuously variable transmission) development divisions and its Fuji manufacturing plant into a company called TransTechnology, Ltd in June 1999.[1] TransTechnology Ltd. and JATCO Corp., both affiliates of Nissan, agreed to merge in October 1999 to become JATCO TransTechnology Ltd. JATCO was established in 1970 to manufacture automatic transmissions.[1]

In October 2001, as part of its restructuring, Mitsubishi Motors agreed to merge its transmission division with Nissan's transmission subsidiary Jatco TransTechnology Ltd.[2][3] The combined company settled on JATCO Ltd. in April, 2002. Nissan and Mitsubishi equity holdings in JATCO after the share exchange stood at 82% and 18% respectively.

When it was still the transmission manufacturing division of Nissan, it partnered with Mazda, and thus Jatco, had long been supplying Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Isuzu, Suzuki, BMW, Volkswagen, MG Rover Group and Land Rover. However, once it was independent, Jatco quickly began supplying other automakers:

December 1999 — Hyundai Motor Company
    January 2001 — Jaguar Cars
    December 2001 — London Taxis International
    January 2002 — Ford Europe
    April 2002 — Renault Samsung Motors
    April 2002 — Ford Lio Ho
    April 2004 — Changan Ford
    December 2005 — DaimlerChrysler U.S.A.
    October 2006 - Renault

Today, JATCO has become one of the biggest supplier of CVT,[4] and products from nearly every auto maker have used Jatco transmissions, with the notable exceptions of Honda Motor Company, who makes their own transmissions, and Toyota Motor Company, who has always used transmissions made by Aisin, a subsidiary of Toyota. GM continues to produce a majority of its transmissions through GM Powertrain, an outgrowth of Hydramatic.

As of March 2015, JATCO is 75% owned by Nissan, 15% owned by Mitsubishi Motors, and 10% owned by Suzuki.

The Nissan gearbox is okay past 295 lb-ft net torque, so a hot 5 liter won't break it easily.

The gearbox is essentially a Japanese C4 with BW/Van Dorne internals

Josemon Thomas' explaination from TechTrixInfo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lQxyFhyTOg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Ok. I love the commentary........ made me laugh. But they did not make a gear kit for a T5 that would cause you to drop from 6000 to 2000 upon shifting one gear.

I guess you could always just skip a gear to get that result. 1-3-5 or something.
    Call it poetic license. Ok, so not quite! Lol
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.