Close

Default V8 swap: motor mount and crossmember confusion

Engine is finally just about ready to go in! However, the motor mounts...don't seem to match up, unless I'm going to drill new holes. Does the correct part exist?

Name:  523414842.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  66.2 KBName:  523414817.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  53.0 KB

Second point of confusion: got a double-hump crossmember for the transmission, to clear the exhaust. The bushing sleeves are about an inch too long to slide into the tabs that hold the crossmember under the car, though. Am I expected to cut them to fit, or again, did I end up with the wrong part?

Thanks in advance...

You don't state what year you are working on, but based upon your crossmember comment I am going to guess its a 79-81 model.

First the motor mounts you have are designed for the later model engines not the early model. The early models us a 2 piece engine mount, there is a metal bracket that attached to the engine block and then the actual rubber motor mount that connected that to the K member. You can drill the hole in the K member for the tab on your current engine mounts or just grind it off and install with just the stud and nut.

As for the crossmember, the 79-81 use the narrow transmission crossmember mountings while the 82-93 use the wider mountings. The dual hump crossmember was originally introduced on the 86 model so it uses the wider mounting tabs. You can move your brackets on the body or do the simpler fix and just cut your crossmember tube down to the correct size. That is what I did on my 79 PC and it worked just fine with my 5.0/5 speed swap. Hope that helps and good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks! (And yes, it's an '81 Capri.)