Close

Default Fork In The Road For My 85 Coupe

So am thinking I am at a fork in the road with my 85 Coupe. Its an original 5.0 5spd car. I am pretty happy with it but have been thinking of building a car with a stroker. Which would mean a lot of changes to this car if I put a stroker in it. When I bought it I knew I could put it close to stock without to much trouble if I wanted. The car has 44K miles. Original paint that looks much better in pictures. Looks ok but could really use the bumpers and a some spots painted maybe a total repaint. Never had any rust or accident repair the interior is in great condition. Could keep it just the way it is, put a stroker in it and mod it, or put it back close to stock. Two things I would probably not change back would be the dual exhaust and 8.8 rear end. I also have 85 SSP that runs but needs a restoration. Would probably have to get ride of one them if I got another car to mod. Car really is mix of original parts and mods.

Has true dual exhaust with factory headers
    8.8 With 3.73
    5 Lug Conversion but I have 4 lug axles
    Mach One Wheels but the car came with what I believe are the original aluminum wheels
    New Holley Carb but the car came with the original carb
    Replaced the smog pump with a pulley kit but came with original smog pump and smog parts
    Hurst Shifter but I have original shifter
    Still has original radiator hoses, clamps, spark plugs wires etc, but they all should be replaced.
    Has original radiator but will need a recore
    Interior is original including the radio
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 08-05-2017 at 10:15 PM.

I vote for stroker here. You will not regret it. 1 question-Would you rather have 500hp or 180hp? You've already done the 5-lug and 8.8 anyway. Plus it is a notch so it will handle the power better. That car has serious potential, clean and a cool color.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hammer Down; 08-05-2017 at 04:04 PM.

These are nowhere near rare or particularly valuable. You already own it and it sounds like a great foundation (which means not as much work to get it to where it will SUPPORT some HP) so I say let the mods begin. There are plenty of them put up and they are for sale all the time. Start a Build Thread and get to wrenching!

Blog Entries

Stroker, or a blower. I know which way I would go, but I'm biased.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Well I was thinking of a 347 maybe a 363.

Well I am surprised that people didn't say return it stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 5.0 View Post
    Well I am surprised that people didn't say return it stock.
    Coupes are a lot stiffer than hatches, and all the recommdee's have experienced the joy of a fully Fortified Ford in a tudoor Fox.

Its the simple Power to Weight part of Rocket Science.

You got a way to go to get SuperBike Power to Weight, but you all are getting the idea.....

83GTRAG got it right in his album...