Close

Default turbo coupe rear ends

Question - I have a chance to buy 2 Turbo Coupe 8.8's with discs for $200. One has new calipers, discs, and pads but has been sitting for about 8 years. The other is "what you expect an ohio rear end to look like". Haven't seen them yet but don't know if its worth it.

I have 82 GT with a 7.5 rear that is whining. The "good" rear end is supposed to whine too.

My issue is I have 17x9 rims. The turbo coupe rear is 1.5 wider. I think this will cause issues. Does anyone know if it will? I also get into changing master cylinders, lines, etc..... Not a big deal but a cost consideration.

I am not opposed to buying the rears and reselling them to make cash for the parts kitty if this is a good deal.

I would like opinions if I should just get the 7.5 rebuilt (no plans for anything more than 225 horse). Find a Fox 8.8. Or go the Turbo Coupe route.

BTW - I don't post much because I search the archives like a mental patient. LOL. You guys have covered everything!

Thanks - Phil.

FEP Super Member

The extra 1.5 inches will bring your wheels flush to the quarters , not a problem in most cases .
    8.8 is always better than the 7.5 .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

TBird axle width is too wide in my opinion. I have them via SN95 rearend and 17" tribar 94-95 rims. they hit the quarters on hard cornering. Overall width tire edge to tire edge is 68"-- 2" wider than the SN95 spindles with same rims in front.

Id get North Racecar brackets and swap in fox length axles.

I'm re-doing my fox width 8.8 with SN95 brakes, fox width 5 lug axles, and NR brackets.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-22-2019 at 09:25 AM.

The turbo coupe rear end is the same width, only the axles and brackets are longer. Since the 7.5 and 8.8" rear ends use the same axles, super easy fix. Throw in some fox length axles, like out of the 82 rear along with the brakes.

No real additional cost, no offset issues and you get the $19 cores for rear discs if ya want to swap to them later.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Agreed - it's the axles that are longer.

Great idea to build up the 8.8 with 7.5 axles and brakes. If budget allows, I'd go to 4 wheel disc now. NR brackets are only needed if you go rear disc.

If I had it to do again I would not put in a 1.5" wider rearend without different offset wheels. And actually.... no, I just won't do it again. I don't like it at all.
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-01-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    The turbo coupe rear end is the same width, only the axles and brackets are longer. Since the 7.5 and 8.8" rear ends use the same axles, super easy fix. Throw in some fox length axles, like out of the 82 rear along with the brakes.

No real additional cost, no offset issues and you get the $19 cores for rear discs if ya want to swap to them later.
    Wow - that is a simple and elegant solution!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Agreed - it's the axles that are longer.

Great idea to build up the 8.8 with 7.5 axles and brakes. If budget allows, I'd go to 4 wheel disc now. NR brackets are only needed if you go rear disc.

If I had it to do again I would not put in a 1.5" wider rearend without different offset wheels. And actually.... no, I just won't do it again. I don't like it at all.
    Thank you - this was my concern. I appreciate the advice.

The only times I would consider the wider axle setups is with factors like

- if using a different wheel offset. SVO with spacers behind the front, 2005+ rims again with spacers behind the front, etc
    - watts link or panhard bar in use eliminating all side-to-side axle travel
    - better bushings and control arms
    - rolled or flared fenders

Name:  1501713458868255930653.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  82.5 KBsn95 complete rear in my 79 with these wheelsName:  15017138349321816343475.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  109.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's reasonable. Mine is not. I wonder how much different your offset is vs 95 tribar 17's. I could store a pair of skinnies between my 245/45/17's and anything that they would hit (practically) on the inside. Then they rub the quarter panels in hard cornering situations and don't look good where they are the rest of the time.

I much prefer the way my frontend looks. Still amazed I got the 245/45/17's to fit there without rubbing. Very nice.
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-02-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Tribar 17's with an OEM 8" width are generally a 30mm offset.

I would assume the wheels shown by 2nd Chance Cobra are 18X9's because they don't look wide enough for the 10.5" to me, but I could be wrong. If they are the 9" wide wheels then the offset from American Muscle should be around 30mm, although other MFG use 24, 25, and even 27mm. So you always want to check.

In my experience using the SVO, Turbo Coupe, or SN95 rear ends in a Fox you can fit a 9" wide wheel with a minimum of 24mm offset. Running a bit more such as the 30mm will give you a bit more clearance to the wheel lip, but you can make it all work. Obviously you can run a bit larger tire if you can run the deeper offset as that will add in fender lip clearance which as noted is generally where the problem lies when corning. A quality set of lower control arms such as MM offerings will help to limit the side to side movement of the rear axle and, of course a Panhard rod will virtually eliminate it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If you like the looks of deep wheels (and who doesn't) then shorter axles are going to lend themselves to that look more so than longer ones.

Other than that it's offset and track width choices.

I had to rearrange the ebrake cables to clear. The tires are very close to the inner fender. I layed a tape across the wheel and I would guess it to be a 10.5". They measure right at 11 inches outside of lip to lip. As best as I could measure it
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 08-03-2017 at 12:15 PM.