Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 86 Saleen #018

FEP Senior Member

This is a bargain.

I'm a guy with two 85 Saleens that need restoration, and can tell you firsthand how expensive it is to get beat up cars to the level yours already is at. Both of mine look far less presentable than this and I've got more money in both of them!

Not sure what canyon red 85-86 would be better than either of the two Saleens you've had, but look forward to seeing whats in the trailer.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Good grief, high enough reserve?

[adding context here - was intending to give you a little crap because I was the high bidder on eBay but the reserve was not met..... so yes I had made an offer, just not here]
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-11-2017 at 08:43 PM.

?? Bids are up to $12k and doesn't appear to be a reserve now.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Someone is going to get a deal! Couldn't think about restoring to this level for that kinda $.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Ended?
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    This is a bargain.

I'm a guy with two 85 Saleens that need restoration, and can tell you firsthand how expensive it is to get beat up cars to the level yours already is at. Both of mine look far less presentable than this and I've got more money in both of them!

Not sure what canyon red 85-86 would be better than either of the two Saleens you've had, but look forward to seeing whats in the trailer.
    Everything is subjective and people want what they want and that's what makes the world go around. There is no wrong answer. To 99% of the population and probably 90% of Fox MUSTANG fans who think the first Mustang was in 1987, that is a lot for one of those. Yes, there would be no 1987 without a 1985 but there also would be no 1985 without the 1977 Mustang II and I don't see anyone paying $12K for one of those. To me, $12K is BIG money for this. To you, obviously it is not. The market will tell us all what it is worth in August 2017 and nobody can argue that. That's what it is worth today. Hell, the Saleen slogan is Power in the Hands of a Few. So already your market is a smaller niche market that appreciates it for exactly what it is. That should be a positive. You can get what you want if you are willing to wait for that person and don't already have another project sitting in the yard, LOL.
    Last edited by homer302; 08-31-2017 at 06:46 PM.

I still have the car. Ebay has become Craigslist. Lots of scams and Ebay is not real serious about weeding them out or holding the bad buyers accountable. I am not looking to debate this so do not bother commenting. That's my opinion and I am entitled to it. Also, kick me off the forum if you would like, but if someone lists a car for sale and you are not interested in buying it you should not comment unless someone asks for your opinion. There are plenty of other places on the forum to "discuss" things... the classifieds are not it. If you are concerned with the asking price then really you should only comment if you are making an offer. (eg: Erratic50's post) This is not only aimed at my post but I have noticed several other times that this has happened. To me this is just common courtesy but on this forum it actually happens to be in the rules. ( read the conditions of ad #7) I am sorry to have to bring a pissy attitude to the forum but this needed to be said.
    Harry
    85 GT T-Top w/18K miles
    85 Saleen 85-131
    86 Saleen 86-018

So your issue isn't that people post negative things about the car, but it's that they don't do it in the right forum? You can't honestly expect to receive only positive feedback when you post something. Should we eliminate all the threads where people post CL ads that aren't theirs? I think perhaps you are unable to see the car through the eyes of a potential buyer, and only see it through your lenses where the value is what you think it is. The market dictates what people will pay. So instead of being pissy, suck it up, swallow your pride, lower your price, and try again.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Actually I agree with Harry....this is FOR SALE section for members, this is not an FYI section. The forum lately is starting to look like the Facebook pages....way too many negative comments about ones asking price. This forum use to be great, and needs to get back to a little common sense and restraint. Posting negative comments and arguing about ones price only hurts the potential sale between the seller and an interested member. Come on guys...if you are interested, make an offer or PM the seller. If you are not, leave the comments in your head. Stuff like this is what drives members away....
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

7. Civility is a must - If you want to haggle with someone on price, do it politely. If you want to tell them how completely off-base you believe their prices are, PM them. ...
    Read that. Understand what it says and why. It's very simple..if you're interested in buying the car but think the price is high then feel free to post a counter offer, politely, but if you're not interested in buying the car and the only contribution to the ad you have is "your price is too high" then just don't post a response at all. That's being neither civil nor polite and it is unwanted here.

If you see somebody acting like a jackass, report it. Use the little Name:  report-40b.png
Views: 543
Size:  1.1 KB button at the bottom of the post. Staff will take it from there.

Oh and that goes for the FB group as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Actually I agree with Harry....this is FOR SALE section for members, this is not an FYI section. The forum lately is starting to look like the Facebook pages....way too many negative comments about ones asking price. This forum use to be great, and needs to get back to a little common sense and restraint. Posting negative comments and arguing about ones price only hurts the potential sale between the seller and an interested member. Come on guys...if you are interested, make an offer or PM the seller. If you are not, leave the comments in your head. Stuff like this is what drives members away....
    Last comment I PROMISE! If no discussion on cars for sale is what everyone wants and all anyone is supposed to do is send a PM with an offer in it, why don't we just disable comments in the for sale section? Should be a rather simple change. Everyone is different but I thought (Civil and courteous) comments would be welcome by a seller. If all you are supposed to say is, great car man, Everyone's a winner! what is the point? Moving on.
    Last edited by homer302; 09-01-2017 at 06:13 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Sorry if I threw gasoline on a fire.

Being a guy who ISN'T loaded with cash, I see this as a great buy for someone. I couldn't afford to buy a nice car like the one listed, so I bought a project instead. This turned out to be far more expensive and long than had I just saved a bit more cash and bought a good condition car. Live and learn, and share the experience good or bad.

I'm looking for a 78 King Cobra also, but can't afford a mint one.

Good luck with the sale. Still looking forward to whats in the trailer!
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

Default Double post!

Double Post!
    Last edited by BaconB8; 09-03-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Double post!
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Truth be told if there would have been a counter to my offer I might have been willing to negotiate. I went to 11975 on eBay and didn't get past the reserve so I quit.

Its tough to get what we want for cars we love. Breaking up is hard to do.

Im having a really hard time convincing myself to get a rust free roller and get busy swapping parts, even though I know that's what really needs to happen. $800 headed for storage vs $30K at the body shop to get my tired iron anywhere near as nice.

But when selling is what you want it's a willingness to negotiate or get stuck holding it. Or $90/mo for a 10x20 storage unit...... just the way it goes.

I suggest that ANY & ALL classified ad posts, CL referral posts or any other such of commerce post not allow ANY reply or comment from board members to post to the thread and allow board members only the ability to PM the seller for more information or to purchase the item advertised.

IF board members "Feel" so compelled that they must make a comment on or about the seller's ad, item price, item condition, previous item history, seller's wife, girlfriend or whatever let them start a complete new post in the appropriate section on the site to do so.

To "Me" the biggest turn-off about this site and many others is the arm chair quarterback comments about items for sale in which the poster has absolutely NO intention of purchasing however they feel compelled to share their "Opinion" about the item for sale when in most all instances the responding poster has NEVER SEEN THE ITEM PERSON, HAS NO INTENTION OF PURCHASING THE ITEM and therefore really has NOTHING ADD TO THE CONVERSATION that is of any value!

This a big reason why in today's world so many seller's have quit advertising items for sale on "Marque Specific" internet boards such as "Foureyepride"! Who needs the hassle and criticism from people who have never seen the item and have no intention of purchasing the item???

The answer is NOBODY!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 09-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    I suggest that ANY & ALL classified ad posts, CL referral posts or any other such of commerce post not allow ANY reply or comment from board members to post to the thread and allow board members only the ability to PM the seller for more information or to purchase the item advertised.

IF board members "Feel" so compelled that they must make a comment on or about the seller's ad, item price, item condition, previous item history, seller's wife, girlfriend or whatever let them start a complete new post in the appropriate section on the site to do so.

To "Me" the biggest turn-off about this site and many others is the arm chair quarterback comments about items for sale in which the poster has absolutely NO intention of purchasing however they feel compelled to share their "Opinion" about the item for sale when in most all instances the responding poster has NEVER SEEN THE ITEM PERSON, HAS NO INTENTION OF PURCHASING THE ITEM and therefore really has NOTHING ADD TO THE CONVERSATION that is of any value!

This a big reason why in today's world so many seller's have quit advertising items for sale on "Marque Specific" internet boards such as "Foureyepride"! Who needs the hassle and criticism from people who have never seen the item and have no intention of purchasing the item???

The answer is NOBODY!
    So you are asking that the very core of a forum, which is to discuss and interact, good or bad, be controlled? Comments, feedback, rants, it is what makes a forum viable. As well as information, how to's, opinion polls.. If you post an item for sale in a venue that is filled with people who have a very good grasp of the value of an item you need to be ready to answer difficult questions, or even criticism.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

We're not cutting off remarks/discussion in ANY forum or sub-forum unless the conversation has in some way violated the rules of that forum/sub-forum or goes against the tenets of this site. I've already quoted the rule above regarding price bashing in a for sale ad. Go read it again. Otherwise stop complaining about it. Mods and admins are not here to protect your feelings on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post
    So you are asking that the very core of a forum, which is to discuss and interact, good or bad, be controlled? Comments, feedback, rants, it is what makes a forum viable. As well as information, how to's, opinion polls.. If you post an item for sale in a venue that is filled with people who have a very good grasp of the value of an item you need to be ready to answer difficult questions, or even criticism.

You are right about what makes a forum viable...and this has historically been one of the best forums around, evident by how many of us have been around for 10+ years and 1,000's to 10,000's of posts. However...a CLASSIFIED section, where members are trying to sell to members....is not the place to argue and place a negative impact on a guys thread, no matter how well you may know the market. If Harry posted this in the CAR BUYER ASSISTANCE AND VALUE ESTIMATION section with a "help me, whats my car worth", then totally different story.

I don't think we need to be controlled...I think/hope we all have enough common sense to keep things great around here. But Mike makes a VERY good point above in regards to "arm chair quarterbacking" I call it "e-muscle", and that didn't use to exist in here. We certainly don't need it in the CLASSIFIEDS section.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post

Read my post again.

I did not say that you should not be allowed to "Discuss & Interact" (your words). I just suggest that IF you feel so compelled that you think everyone else really wants to read what you have to say that you should be required to do so in another separate thread that you start or respond to an already posted new thread on that specific subject. NOT "rain on the seller's parade" in the seller's for sale thread!

As far as being "Controlled"?

Yes I DO suggest that you or anyone else should be "Controlled" and not be allowed to post any response in any for item for sale ad/thread!

You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled program!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I say keep it as is, that way we get to know people and can better put their comments into a context. I know when people talk it can get annoying, but that's life. We have to respect others even when we disagree, just learn to move on, it's healthier. Love this site and the info on here is invaluable.

I got a good look at this car. saw it at the tasca ford show. I think the black one was parked next to it?

very interesting thread, i participate on several forums mainly Mopar related, and this kind of thing happens from time to time.. I know all forums have systems and processes aimed to keep order and have different areas to communicate about different topics... in the for sale section on the strictest forum I know, NO comments are allowed in the for sale section. however it can be discussed in the Ebay, craigslist, cars you see for sale section.. I like this forum tho, you guys are passionate about you're hobby.. we are all members of a very cool subculture and are all car men, its ok to have these discussions, I like the rule the moderator posted and agree, feelings get hurt when people may be upset that someone listed a car to cheap and they have a similar model, or goes other way to.. imho every car is a case by case, the true mustang men on this forum who know these cars in and out and mess with them all the time, may think price is steep. but to a man who works, has kids or doesn't restore cars who wants a turn key cruiser, this car looks to be a decent deal based on what it is.. anyways had to jump in at some point.. and I have to admit, I'm digging my mustang..

[h=1]HCBERICH
    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=

HCBERICH

I hope no offense was taken when I posted the "high enough reserve" comment regarding the reserve on EBay. I was mainly trying to poke a little fun more than anything else.

If you look at the bid history you will notice that "Erratic50" was the bidder there that drove the price all the way to $11975. That is $1975 more than the $10K I mentioned in the thread here.

The irony of my post above is $800 is what I ended up paying for my 85 roller and it is currently in a 10x20 storage unit that costs me $89/mo.

I'm posting here to bump your thread and get people to give your car another look.

Good luck getting it gone. If I get a wild hair and decide I'm willing to spend more than $11975 and it's still for sale I'll reach out

Best regards.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Bump.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast