Close

Question Any tips on installing a convertible top???

H i Guys:

Does anyone have tips on installing a new convertible top and glass rear window? Can you point me to pictorial instructions, etc.? What are the pitfalls? There is a strip that goes on top across the rear bow or rafter with chrome pointed tips. Does it glue in place?

I only have installed a mustang top that was already mounted to the frame. It came from another car. I did do a jaguar xjs top and it was way more complicated than the mustang. Nothing like having to cut the window hole on your $400 top. One wrong cut and the top was ruined. The mustang bolts along the rear so I would think the hardest parts are attaching it to the frame. This is usually stapled or glued. It sounds like it might be difficult but it really isn't. If you still have your old top, try disassembling it. Take a lot of pics. And you will want the new top to be fairly tight when you go to latch it. This way it will stretch and stay tight for years.
    And I'm sure some one will have more specific info for you. Good luck!

There is no short way to address this. You need more than tips to get the job done. Start educating yourself:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...nvertible-top/
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

FEP Power Member

Based on your questions, I suggest hiring a professional. It's one of the more complicated jobs. I just had 1 professionally installed and I'm not happy with it.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks guys,

That pictorial site is very good. It takes some time to navigate through the pictures with text below. It defines terminology and procedures I have questioned in other write-ups. It still leaves me with questions, like how do I size stapling the rear quarter top panels in place? I think I will do 2 simulations doing final assembly without permanent fasteners first. Any more tips will be appreciated.

I have painted the body, exterior trim pieces, and top skeleton frame. I have started to reinstall exterior trim that interfaces with the top. I have cleaned and conditioned the old seals.
    Name:  IMG_9619.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  110.6 KBName:  IMG_9620.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  110.5 KB

Hi Guys:

Anyone know how to properly size/layoutName:  IMG_9648.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  71.9 KBName:  IMG_9649.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  58.2 KB staple positions on the rear bow #5/tack strip? Anyone have another procedure for 1983 top installation?

Let a pro do it.

Some of you guys are really free with my money. I think I'll save the ~$800, and do it myself.

Does anyone have any tips that don't cost me money?

Take your time and I am sure you can get it done. I installed one several years ago when I had my shop. Not a fun job, but not Rocket Science either. I do recommend new pads for the top and new tack strips as that will make your job that much better and easier. Work from the center out in all directions to get everything pulled smooth, wrinkle free, and tight.

Here is one sample video on You Tube about the tops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP8AkL8rbDw

Do a search for an actual full install video and buy that. It will be worth the $25 or so that it will cost you just for some of the tips and tricks of the trade. The rear window can be the most difficult area when doing a full new top. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey,

I think I will do a simulation with world renowned duck/duct tape first. I will tape the rear window bottom to the tack strip rear bow, and bolt bow into place, then tape top of rear window to bow 4, chalk mark installation lines on fabric and frame (Since my Crown brand has no installation guide lines.) Then I will do a similar sizing test run with the top to rear quarter panel bows, and remaining top installation.

(I was thinking about attaching the rear window to bow 4 first, but your video shows bow 5 first. The rear window is about right in place with the permanently attached straps wrapped around bow 4 then fastened with their buttons snapped. In my pictures, you may see the webbing tied to bow 4, and trunk frame points holding window in position too.)

It will take me about 10 times the time a pro would spend.

All I will say is good luck. I hope you succeed and come back with good after pictures. A friend of mine who is a more die-hard DIY'r than myself attempted it several years ago. Not only was he not happy with his results, he swore he would never try again and took it to a professional and paid the $$ for a second new top and installation.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I think Lmr has a DVD that walks you through a top install. It costs like $25. I cannot comment on if it's any good, I've never done a top and I haven't watched it.

Should I tweak the curtain a bit more, or declare victory and move on?

I stacked some pillows and towels to support the window approximately in place, along with duck tape,and straps buttoned to layout position.

It is stapled all around. I released the nuts holding bow #5/tack strip twice; removed some staples, stretched the fabric/vinyl tighter at the outside edges to remove wrinkles, re-stapled, re-installed bow5.

Name:  IMG_9650.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  63.1 KBName:  IMG_9651.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  80.0 KB

It looks pretty good in the pictures. Just make sure you are even side to side. I believe it is, but the stuff holding the rear window in place is giving me some optical illusions that its tilted or skewed slightly. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Good luck. I can do alot of things myself and this was not one of them when I went through my vert. I had an ole guy do mine that did alot of them back in the day. He now works on most of the dealers personal old cars in the area. I bought everything...top, pads, cables, etc....and took it to him for installation. It took a couple of days and a couple Washington's cash...well worth it. I would also suggest when you put that exterior well trim back, you utilize some caulk tape between the metal body and the aluminum and/or plastic trim.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Yep, it is 3/16" lower on the left, and not totally flat/tight on the bottom left. I think I'll pull out some staples on bow4 top left, pull fabric tight, and check dimensions. If that doesn't look good enough, I'll pull staples from bow 5 bottom left, tighten, etc.

Yep that trim interface has terrible black gooy sealant that I mostly removed, and still battle. I used clear silicone sealant, and left some black sealant on that rear trim. I have some caulk strips under the windshield trim. I may use some more caulk strips or silicon caulk on the trim like trunk hinge area too.
    Last edited by 83v6Stock; 08-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.

I adjusted the bow 4 staples and raised the bow 5 left side... declared victory. I installed a pad bottom part to secure the bows upright in their positions. Should I just fold the pad under at the rear quarter top panel; or cut it so there is no pad overlap crease? I still have a foam pad to put over the bottom pad part.Name:  IMG_9652.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  78.8 KB

I used this DVD to help me do my own top.
    https://lmr.com/item/STO-8393DVD/198...stallation-Dvd

Also the 79-88 Chilton manual has a good amount of top install info. I'll look up some photos from my install.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White