Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post New Black Magic Owner in Florida

Hey everyone! I can't tell you how stoked I am to be writing about my 'new' car. I'm looking forward to shootin the sh!t with everyone here about these amazing rides! Check out my bio for the full story of how I came to own this beautiful machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First order of business is to repaint that grille back to factory gold. Anyone have suggestions on the color code or how I would go about creating the perfect color match?

Welcome, nice car and cool story! I can't help you on the paint codes but you've come to the right place for sure.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Thank you! There are a couple things I need to do to the interior as well. Like broken dome light, missing push/unlock button on e-brake, plastic lining trunk is completely trashed, and I have a minor tear in the drivers seat. But she is completely road worthy and I have a bag full of era appropriate cassette tapes ready to cruise!

Congratulations and Welcome to FEP!

Right there you have my DREAM Capri! Black Magic 5.0 with T-tops! Very Nice!!!

Unfortunately I don't have a color code for the grill, but I believe if one of your local paint suppliers has the color chip book for your year model, the gold will be listed in the book as accent/trim exterior color. I believe Dadscat (I think that is the correct screen name) may have the correct gold color code from when he did his Crimson Cat Capri, but I am not 100% sure if that is the exact same color code.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Congratulations and Welcome to FEP!

Right there you have my DREAM Capri! Black Magic 5.0 with T-tops! Very Nice!!!

Unfortunately I don't have a color code for the grill, but I believe if one of your local paint suppliers has the color chip book for your year model, the gold will be listed in the book as accent/trim exterior color. I believe Dadscat (I think that is the correct screen name) may have the correct gold color code from when he did his Crimson Cat Capri, but I am not 100% sure if that is the exact same color code.
    Thanks! She's certainly been in my dreams since before I can remember. ...I actually get a little emotional when trying to describe what this car means to me... Silly I know because its just a car.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Welcome to FEP!!! car looks in great shape. Great your parents stored it so well!!!! Love to see more pics!

Thanks! I added a couple interior shots to my album. The passenger T-top window leaks ever so slightly in a downpour, so as soon as the rain lets up I'll be sure to take her out and grab a ton more pictures!

Sweet ride

Welcome and I'm totally jealous......
    Trey, dad's cat, I believe, used a GM gold during his resto.

Edit:
    Confirmed that it was a GM gold (1997 Aztec gold), see link.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-rebuild/page4
    Last edited by conmech; 08-14-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Dang that looks good! Follow up question... how do I get that EXACT color? You think a local paint shop could mix it?

Take the information given to a paint shop. Should be easy.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Welcome and I'm totally jealous......
    Trey, dad's cat, I believe, used a GM gold during his resto.

Edit:
    Confirmed that it was a GM gold (1997 Aztec gold), see link.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-rebuild/page4
    I remember that he used a GM color. I agree that the car looks Awesome. I am just not sure that the color will be a match for the Black Magic in question. It might very well be, but I would look at the "correct" color code first and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MercuryBlues82 View Post
    Dang that looks good! Follow up question... how do I get that EXACT color? You think a local paint shop could mix it?
    As I mentioned above, I would still recommend checking on the trim colors available for you year model and the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln vehicles of that year. Then I would go from there. If you are trying to do some touch up, you may have to adjust the color a bit to match the existing as most likely it has faded a dulled a bit just due to age and sun exposure. If you are doing a complete restore/repaint then going with the GM color or even a standard mix of the original will be just fine. Unfortunately when doing any repair/repaint type work you will generally have to play with the color a bit to match the existing/original paint. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I can have my Paint Guy double check his books to verify what his show.

I was able to find a 1982 Sherwin Williams Domestic paint catalog. https://www.sherwin-automotive.com/p...Manual_pdf.pdf That shows a Gold Metallic code for striping.

There are two codes:

J5-8524-G Sherwin Williams Acrylic Enamel Code

M-5518-D Ford OEM Code

Take both of those to your local paint supplier (If you have an Automotive Sherwin Williams that would be even better) Otherwise your local jobber should be able to look it up by the Ford code and hopefully have a chip book to look at.

I pulled the Ford color code up on another site for PPG, that shows it as a good code, but it didn't have any color chip samples to view.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Welcome to FEP congrats on the beautiful car you have! 🖒and welcome to the Black Magic Family.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

BAM!! Took longer than expected (side projects usually do)
    Thanks everyone for all your help! Trey thanks for J5-8524-G - That was it. Saw the chip in an 82 book at sherwin williams automotive and matched it to the emblems. Spot on for sure. Unfortunately they don't make paints like that anymore (Or so they told me ) so I spent an hour or so holding chip books up to my car and came up with a 1990 GM Truck color - WA 9208. Seems similar to the one dadsccat used on his crimson. I'm not doing any other paint touch up on this car. I have this feeling the emblems should stay worn just the way they are. (thoughts?) Since I only shot the grille I don't think anyone will notice a difference. Also I decanted the rest just in case I decide to touch up the emblems after all...

Name:  Black_Magic_Capri_Gold_Grille.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  100.8 KB

Wow, super nice car ! Really like the colors, plus driving a 5.0 with a stickship must be a really fun combination ! Welcome to FEP

In light of Irma, hope you & your car fair well.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Had to evacuate my area. I go home tomorrow to see if she is alright. Fingers crossed.

Mercuryblues82 give us the good news. Dont leave us on a cliff hanger!

I hope everything was A OK when you got back

First and Foremost I hope you, your family, and the Black Magic are fine after Irma, etc.

Second the grille and color looks Awesome! Glad that worked out for you. Very Nice!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Yea Irma was no fun! Hope you and your family are well. It was no fun and still cleaning up here and storm went up west coast and lasted a longtime . days blending together for few weeks now. look fwd to post how y'all faired when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    First and Foremost I hope you, your family, and the Black Magic are fine after Irma, etc.

Second the grille and color looks Awesome! Glad that worked out for you. Very Nice!
    We made it through Irma NO PROBLEM!
    Thanks! Although next time I'm matching paint with my factory license plate frames.

Sorry all, I didnt realize people were still commenting on this thread. My old phone stopped notifying me... But I'm Back!!

Awesome
    conmech - aka Marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast