Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    I have NEVER seen that prop rod on any other Fox Mustang. Would love to see Mick or anyone with knowledge chime in about it. My '82 is definitely not like that, nor was my '83
    Just another odd ball thing to add to the list on these cars, like holes under the hood scoops of the 83 GT hoods and the side view mirrors not matching.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Senior Member

A pic of my 83 GT I owned about 5 years ago. Had about 13,000 miles on it and was pretty original. It had the prop rod on the drivers side. It was built in December of 1982 I believe. It has a T5.

FEP Senior Member

Name:  DSC_2279.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  75.8 KBMy 83 GT engine with driver side prop rod...

FEP Senior Member

more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Those buck tags are from a 1982 GT, not 1983.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

My 83 gt has the long rod on the pass side just like my 2 79s and 80. The clips are different though

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Those buck tags are from a 1982 GT, not 1983.
    Sorry- I thought that might have been the case...had an 82 just like the 83..

Mick do you know any of the rhyme or reason to the different prop rods? Its obviously not related to early vs later years. Was it different based on assembly locations or were they all built in the same factory?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Also as noted in the pic near the top...this car has a dealer installed alarm system...evident by the "vending machine" style key in the front driver fender. My '82 GT has the same thing:

Attachment 114611
    WTF were they thinking mounting a switch like that? IMHO...that's about goofy and inconvenient as heck. Looks like it could spell nothing but trouble on a car that lived its life outdoors and driven in crappy weather.

I've never seen anything like that before.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Mick do you know any of the rhyme or reason to the different prop rods? Its obviously not related to early vs later years. Was it different based on assembly locations or were they all built in the same factory?
    I have seen both types of hood prop rods. We've never nailed down when the change-over was, if there ever was really a hard change-over.

After the 1981 model year, and through 2014, all Mustangs sold outside of Mexico were built at Dearborn Assembly Plant (DAP). This can be verified by the 11th character in the VIN.

F = Dearborn Assembly Plant
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

OK...so there can't be any rhyme or reason than maybe parts that were available at the time of manufacture, as there are 82's and 83's pictured/noted in here with both options.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    WTF were they thinking mounting a switch like that? IMHO...that's about goofy and inconvenient as heck. Looks like it could spell nothing but trouble on a car that lived its life outdoors and driven in crappy weather.

I've never seen anything like that before.
    It was VERY common back in the early to mid 80's. Before the advent of RF remotes for door locks and alarms the best option was a key in the fender. You got out of the car, locked and shut the doors, and turned the fender key. Before you open the door to get back in...you turn the key the other way or else the siren goes off. That goofy round key in the fender was as obvious to a thief back then as the flashing red LED today.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

It was VERY common back in the early to mid 80's. Before the advent of RF remotes for door locks and alarms the best option was a key in the fender. You got out of the car, locked and shut the doors, and turned the fender key. Before you open the door to get back in...you turn the key the other way or else the siren goes off. That goofy round key in the fender was as obvious to a thief back then as the flashing red LED today.
    I suppose that makes sense, just guess I have never seen that or didn't pay much mind to it over the years. Still think they could have done something a bit less ugly.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

OK...so there can't be any rhyme or reason than maybe parts that were available at the time of manufacture, as there are 82's and 83's pictured/noted in here with both options.
    I have this nut (and hole) on the passenger side not being used. Is that where a passenger side prop rod mounts ?

Name:  psngr prop rod.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  71.8 KB

(Yes, that is a computer power supply, using it to power/troubleshoot electrical.)

Yep...that is the place.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12