Close

Default Shiny or dull stock wheels

I took the tires off my stock svo wheels so I can clean them up and redo them. My wheels do not appear to have ever had clearcoat on them. But I am going to clear them in the end. But I'm not sure if I want gloss or dull clearcoat. IIRC the wheels originally had a more dull look to them but I'm not sure.
    What do you guys think?

I think SVOs are not particularly rare and SVO wheels really are not rare because most people swap them out. I always liked them personally. So that being said, it's your car, do what you want with them. There is no wrong answer. Keeping a polished wheel, even if it sits in the garage is a LOT of maintenance. So be warned if that is the route you decide to go. They just start to oxidize sitting there due to the bare aluminum. I would like to see a brushed finish on the metal with a glossy clear and heavy metallic dark charcoal inserts in the windows personally.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-30-2017 at 08:57 AM.

I didn't say anything about rare or not. I already know this after 12 years of ownership. I just wanted some opinions on flat or glossy clearcoat on the wheels. I am going to paint the windows argent silver.

I would say flat, glossy wheels are too much labor to keep clean
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Stock the SVO wheels were a machined finish so they never had a real gloss look to them originally.

If you like the original look then I would go with a satin clear, something in the 40% gloss range IMHO.

Now if you choose to polish the wheels, then definitely go full gloss to show off all the work.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I already had them cleaned up and semi polished. But I am cleaning them up to get some very light oxidation off some spots using a grey scotchbrite pad and I am liking the dull look now. I think I am going to go with a semi flat look. I am going to paint the windows and lug nut holes in argent silver and then clear the whole thing.