Close

Default Stereo system 82 hatchback

What would be a good system to install in a 1982 hatchback.thanks

I know most guys will hate me for saying this but I will cut a dash for a good head unit. I would do one of the newer Sony CD players they have like 40 watts RMS & let it push some kicker 3.5s in the dash & 5x7s in the rear. Then I would get a SAS amplified 10" tube & be done. FYI this is what I have in my 82 GT
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

Religious wars and audio brands have lots in common, but I would get a kenwood deck with builtin Bluetooth, etc, and use kicker for everything else.

Old school DX350, old school 4 ohm comp 12, or newer dual 2 ohm coil compVR.

One old school (1990's) comp needs 1.68 cubic feet sealed in a foxbody interior if you poly fill the box. Non parallel side boxes reduce standing wave based cancellation.

Build the box as thin as possible while clearing the magnet. Stand it up on edge behind the rear seat. Rear fire the sub.

compvr will need about 1.14 cu ft based upon interior volume, qms, qts, and vas along with the -3db down point predictions based upon box volume.

Old school comp is what I have in my Mustang - have for years. And my stereo is exceptionally musical at moderate listening volumes but can easily blow someone the hell out of the car if it gets turned up. Rear fire single 12" sub is the way to go!

Can you use dash speakers and subwoofers only.people tell dont bother with the other rear speakers because you wont here them anyway.

Please share updates on this, I'm wanting to put a system in my '82 capri as well. Would be nice to see someone else go through it first. However my goal is to use my factory cassette head unit and make it 'look' stock. (if possible) I just want to make it REALLY loud for when I pop the T's off.