Close

Thread: Clutch Question

Default Clutch Question

Is it possible to over adjust clutch by lifting up clutch pedal then pushing in clutch? My clutch does not start to engage until the pedal is almost to top of travel. Or is my clutch on the way out? thanks for any help. Dave

The stock quadrant is self adjusting like that yes. Unfortunately most of the times the first few times you press it, it will go back to being out of adjustment, due to wear on the stock plastic teeth of the adjustment mechanism... Worth a shot though
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

It sounds like you have taken out too much slack in the cable. It's been awhile since I have looked at the mechanism as I replaced it with an aluminum quadrant many years ago. However, it should be possible to disengage the cable at the quadrant, and reset the take up ratchet.
    1985 GT owned since new

FEP Super Member

Clutch is on its way out.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Thanks for your help

I took the cover off where the cable goes into the trans and the cable was not tight just snug. So I think the clutch must be worn. It engages about 1.5 or 2 inches from top of clutch travel. But does not slip yet. I think I will put in clutch in this winter.

FEP Super Member

One thing to try first .
    Sitting in the seat , grab the clutch pedal with both hands , and pull up firmly as far as it will go.
    This will help the adjustment panel to catch a few extra teeth, and possible help to get more of the slack from the cable .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Shove in the clutch then pop it as harshly as possible then stomp it hard right away. Even with a working 100% adjuster this usually resets it to its loosest. Or just release it manually by flipping the teeth out of the way.

now reach up under the dash and pull the quadrant towards you until it clicks once. Try it. Repeat until it is where you like it. FYI for later - you can shim the cable on the release fork if you can't get it how you want.

Back when I had a stock setup my clutch always got stupid hard to release when the clutch was worn but never the adjuster got where it releases high.
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-01-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Do you have any idea how many miles are on the clutch? Assuming the clutch is not original, but the cable is, it may have stretched enough so that there is too much slack to take up.
    1985 GT owned since new

Cable bind is a huge problem sometimes. MM has a stock style cable for adjustable quadrants setups. Add shims or a firewall adjuster and it will work fine with the stock quadrant I believe.

My clutch is 200% better after tossing the new cable from UPR and getting a new one from MM. wish I would have kept my old stock style official ford parts cable.

I took a good look at the quadrant it is stock and car has 49,000 miles. The teeth on quadrant and catch are very clean and sharp I could see no wear on them. I could pull back catch and release it when I then pulled up on pedal all seemed fine. After trying all the above tips the clutch did feel a little better. Went back under and removed fork cover the cable is just pulling fork forward a little less than 1\8" so I think that is fine? I removed cable from fork by prying fork forward a little. Cable feels free from any binding. I would think at 49,000 clutch should not be wore, but who knows how PO drove it. Should catch on quadrant be about center of arc on quadrant? mine is when pedal is released. Would that indicate clutch wear like higher or lower on quadrant where catch is located as it is self adjusting? Thanks for all your inputs!!!