Close

Default Dual electric fan wires burning up

I have an 86 mustang gt with dual electric fans and the disable link under the dash keeps burning up... any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm guessing your wiring or relays aren't up to the task of running your fan. Especially if it's a Ford unit. What are you running them with?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The fans are aftermarket. I have never had any issues in the last couple years I've had it just recently it started doing this where it gets so hot it starts smoking under the dash

Burning up fuses... not quite sure what to do

Well, you could start by looking for a short in the power wires. Fuses shouldn't burn up unless something is shorted out.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

The wire gets really hot...would that be a short

It only happens when it's hot out and when the fans are running a lot

FEP Member

Sounds like the wiring is inadequate for the fans, there is a short somewhere where a wire is getting grounded, or the fans are going bad and drawing excessive amperage. What gauge is the wiring that is getting hot? Are you running a relay? The power to run your fans shouldn't be coming from under the dash. That's a car fire waiting to happen.

If you are running a power wire through a hole in the dash to power your fans, I'd disconnect the battery immediately and rewire it correctly.
    Last edited by Dr. Matt; 07-26-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSteve86 View Post
    The fans are aftermarket. I have never had any issues in the last couple years I've had it just recently it started doing this where it gets so hot it starts smoking under the dash
    I was able to run a Ford fan for years with an inadequate controller (too low amperage relay), but then one hot day sitting in traffic, the fan finally gave out on me and the car overheated.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

It was wired like this before I bought it and it never gave me any issues up until recently... looks like I'm gonna have to chase some wires this weekend

If just recently, check/clean the grounds.

Mike

Great minds think alike Mike - ground....

make sure all of your grounds are shiny clean and tight
    your wiring should be at least 10 gauge
    check that no power wires are shorting out and that all connections are tight
    some people do not do wiring correct by soldering wires, using shrink wrap, appropriate gauge wire, proper fuses,etc
    Hayden, Flex a Lite, Ron Frances, and others sell good fan wiring kits if needed

What is your fan and controller setup now?

Ok thanks for the input fellas, I'll have to check some stuff out this weekend

Make sure your entire circuit is at least 10 gauge. The ground has to equal the power wire or you'll just burn up the ground. Poor grounds also cause an increase in resistance which causes the amps to go up. If you're grounding to the chassis, grind all the paint off at the spot you put the ground and then cover that with some lithium grease to limit corrosion. And don't forget, even if you fans are rated to pull 25 or 30 amps, when they start up, they spike. Fans can pull 40, 50 even 80 amps for a split second when they start. Over time that can take its toll on your wires and relays.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

you need to know the amperage draw of the fans
    You need to use at lease 10 gauge wire
    Have the proper inline fuse
    use a high enough amp relay or a variable speed controller like the flex a lite 33054
    make sure you have good grounds to the chassis or block