Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1983 Turbo RS Dash pull for AC install ....tips and tricks wanted TODAY

I'm going to start removing the dash my 1983 Mercury Capri RS Turbo TONIGHT in order to add air conditioning. I have a complete Dash hule with heater box from a 1986 Ford Mustang with a 2.3. The plan is to use the 83 dash hule and install the 86 heater box and duct work in order to add air conditioning with a mostly factory look. Anyone who's done something like this before and has tips or tricks or feedback on what kind of problems we might experience please post.

Many thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the area where the heater core and evaporator piping passes through the firewall is different. If you are punching your own hole it won't make a difference. I'm in the process of adding heat and air back to my '83 Mustang and was going to use an 86 box but changed my mind. I wanted to use the factory firewall hole and I think the blend door cable/controls were different also. So i sourced an '83 heater box with air.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

I did this to a '84 GT350. The holes in the firewall are different as noted above. Also you will need an extra brace on the inside to support the additional weight and both dash bezels on the inside are different. It really wasn't that hard a project overall. I even kept the fresh air vents since they were REAL fresh air vents and actually brought air in so I had AC and the vents.

The dash is out but I found a mystery white box that's unplugged.... anyone know what this is?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    The dash is out but I found a mystery white box that's unplugged.... anyone know what this is?
    Seatbelt warning buzzer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

For reference I should add it is behind the passenger side Dash insert

That's the one thank you... a shout out to Road burner for his help on removing the dash thus far

that's the warning buzzer

New mystery... I made the holes in the firewall for the lines to come through and bolts to come through but it seems I'm running into a conflict between shifting and too far to the passenger side and not far enough. On the one hand you can see I made the hole as far to the right as I can and still be within the indentations and still the vacuum line can't come out. On the other side I'm running into the ecu wire loom as it comes out to the firewall. I looked at several pictures of 86 and 85s online and they all appear as though the single wire loom is just above the bolt which is used on the further passenger side. Please take a look at the pictures and provide your feedback as to which way you think this needs to go and if there's something special about an 83 turbo RS since it was the first year to get the efi computer under the passenger seat.

You will notice that the stud with the nut on it on the left hand side of the picture is overlapping The Grommet for the ecu wire loom. To anyone who's worried about the hack job on the firewall I will be welding in sheet metal to make it look more Factory once I get this figured out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by foot2floor; 08-13-2017 at 04:28 AM.

Not sure if this will help or not due to everything being in the way. Also keep in mind this vehicle suffered an engine fire thanks to the Previous Owner's Stupidity and has yet to be repaired or corrected. That is the reason for some of the items looking a bit crusty!

1984 SVO 2.3 Turbo. Not exactly the same vehicle, but as close as I currently own that has OEM A/C

Name:  2017-08-13 08.34.21.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  141.3 KB

Name:  2017-08-13 08.34.30.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  134.2 KB

If needed, I can email you the pictures at full size so you could zoom into specific areas if needed. Just sent me a PM. If you need a picture of a certain area, just let me know. I will be out in the garage today working, so should be able to get more pictures fairly quickly.

I did the OEM A/C swap into my PC and I just cut out the holes in the firewall. Drilled the required mounting holes and drain hole for the Evap cooler and bolted it all up. The 79 firewall didn't have the indentions like the later models, so I had to make a template to locate them, but after that everything slid in like it was original. I did not have to deal with the EFI wiring harness that you are talking about, but I believe it should be far enough out of the way to work. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I don't recall having all those issues when I did my conversion at all or having to do anywhere near the cutting you already have. I just looked at my 5.0 that I have now which is all OEM and you aren't as far off as you think you are. All of them have the hole there, the 5.0 cars just got an oval solid grommet instead of one with a hole for a harness to pass through. If Photobucket wasn't such a bunch of douchebags, I would post up a picture. You are just a tad too far to the passenger side but not by much. The very edge of the grommet on my car actually covers up a very slight portion of the washer. I mean VERY small, not as much as yours. Maybe 1/16-1/32 of an inch of the grommet edge overlaps the washer. I think you are pretty much there.
    Also the stud/nut and washer on my car appears to be 100% centered under that round grommet over it that you have a yellow wire coming through. Mine also looks to be a tad higher and closer to that round grommet but again, not by much.
    Last edited by homer302; 08-13-2017 at 02:17 PM.

I just looked again you are DEFINITELY lower compared to mine. Mine has about 1/2 the distance between the lowest part of the round grommet and the outside washer edge that you have. I would say pretty much exactly half that.
    Last edited by homer302; 08-13-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post

If needed, I can email you the pictures at full size so you could zoom into specific areas if needed. Just sent me a PM. If you need a picture of a certain area, just let me know. I will be out in the garage today working, so should be able to get more pictures fairly quickly.
    Can you move the o2 sensor pigtail and other wires out of the way and get a picture of the orientation of the most passenger side stud that attaches to the heater box in relation to the grommet which is got the EFI wires in it and The Grommet which has the single wire up above that Bolt.

That's about the best I can do without removing the accumulator .

Name:  2017-08-13 17.19.55.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  74.0 KB
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Here is the best straight on picture I could find of mine to give you an idea of what the 84 looks like:

Engine bay tear down by Curtin Family, on Flickr
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Here's one from the inside.

IMG_0052 by Curtin Family, on Flickr

These pictures are incredibly helpful. One very notable difference between the 86 heater box (which is what my donor came out of) and the pictures from your 84 is the size and shape of the large hole. I would like to see a picture if anyone has one of the foam insulator that seals the heater box to the outside world on an 84. Because it looks like on the 86 and 87 boxes I have at my disposal it is not squarish like I see on your 84 pictures.
    Again I want to thank both of you for the incredible help these are at getting this job done.

IMG_0801 by Curtin Family, on Flickr

IMG_0802 by Curtin Family, on Flickr

Is this what you're asking about?

Exactly! Thank you! Clearly the vacuum line comes put in a different place and this is key to my concerns.

Where did you get the foam for your 84?
    Last edited by foot2floor; 08-14-2017 at 12:34 PM.

I still have the foam from the 86 box that I didn't use if you want it.

-2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    Exactly! Thank you! Clearly the vacuum line comes put in a different place and this is key to my concerns.

Where did you get the foam for your 84?
    The vacuum line should come thru the foam around the Evap Core lines. Where exactly doesn't really matter. Its just a vacuum line to run the blend doors on the HVAC unit. You can see the hole in the foam pictures above, but I have seen the line come thru the same hole as the Evap core tubes also. Don't worry too much about it. Just poke it thru and hook it up!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by 83GLCoupe View Post
    I still have the foam from the 86 box that I didn't use if you want it.

Thanks for your generosity but I actually have two of these just like this. What I'm looking for is foam that matches the whole that you see up above for the 84 version. It is much wider then the 86 foam.

I just went to Michaels and looked at the dense foam they had available and put a piece in front of the original, dry rotted foam. Unless you're doing a show car no one will notice it isn't the same density.

We'll see if this ends up being really stupid but I went to Lowe's and bought some of the foam mats used to keep workers feet from wearing out when they stand a long period of time. It was $4.55 a linear foot and about half an inch thick. I bought one linear foot and folded it in half so it's double thickness and then cut it to shape. I don't know how well this will hold up to the Heat of being in a firewall but i will find out and report back. The material is very good to work with as it is easy to cut and easy to conform to the shape I need.

I believe the factory firewall had a slight rib where it contacted the foam. Because I have cut these holes out of flat spots in the sheet metal I not said ridge indenting into my foam. I was considering just putting some silicone sealant around the edge in a way that it wouldn't be seen but would still seal it? Anyone else got any other ideas on how to approach it?

Thanks for all the help, the dash is mostly back in. Now all I need is the dash inserts with a vents for an 83. I posted in the Wanted section so I'm hopeful someone has a set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast