Close

Default Power to solenoid

I am working on my sons first Mustang with him. Its a 79 Pace Car 2.3 turbo. He is 15 and wanted a cool car and this is it! Its a bit of a project and we are trying to get it started and I dont have power going to the small wire on the solenoid during crank or in any key position.
    Its 3 post solenoid. Any ideas??? Battery and terminals are all good. I checked it with a test light on I get nothing.

There should be a fuseable link that powers through the ignition switch. You need to get a wiring diagram and start tracing through wires for continuity.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I see one that seems to route to the solenoid. I should be able to use a 12 V test light....

Red with Light Blue wire goes from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Check for power coming out of that at ignition switch... and X2 on that wire's continuity between those points...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Cool Thanks. I will check it out tonight. So if power is not coming to those wires I would replace the switch?

The ignition switches are notorious for separating with some age, but it might just be that wire is loose in it or is open somewhere between the switch and the solenoid....
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I am getting power to that wire in the crank position. Is it as easy as running a new wire??

Yeah, its small with almost no load. Around 1amp is all if i remeber right. You could also bypass it by sticking something between the two bigger posts of the starter solenoid
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar